Sign in to follow this  
rereaves

Flat Tow 1999 Ford Ranger

I have a question concerning towing my 1999 Ford Ranger Automatic Trans.  I realize that Ford states that the Ranger Automatic is not 4 down towable because of Transmission lubrication concerns.  However I do not want to invest in a driveshaft coupler which cost half the value of the little truck.  Has anyone towed the ranger automatic or any automatic by stopping frequently and starting the vehicle?  

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You didn't give me enough information on the ranger. How ever I would go to Remco and see if they think it is towable. http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

Remco is in the business of making things towable.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I understand Remco is no longer in business, they were apparently purchased by Superior.  I talked with one of the distributors this morning and it looks like the total cost would be between $1500 and $1800 depending on installation issues.  

4 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

A driveshaft coupler may be less expensive than a new transmission.

Yes, I understand the objective is to avoid destroying the Transmission.   I'm  just looking for alternatives.

rereaves

" Superior.  I talked with one of the distributors this morning and it looks like the total cost would be between $1500 and $1800 depending on installation issues."  

I Had one put in my 2003 Extended Cab Silverado. They had to make me a new drive shaft since mine was aluminum. They made a 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing and brace and mine was only $1,300.00 out the door.  If I am not mistaken your drive shaft is steel and would only need to be cut and the disconnect installed.

I am not sure of your location but mine was done be "DRIVE SHAFT KING in Dallas, Texas 214-941-7122" 

Herman

7 hours ago, rereaves said:

Thanks Bill, I understand Remco is no longer in business, they were apparently purchased by Superior.  I talked with one of the distributors this morning and it looks like the total cost would be between $1500 and $1800 depending on installation issues.

Ok, I already knew about the coupler business being sold off. It is also obvious you didn't do what I told you to do and as you have not supplied all the information, Good luck.

Bill

1 hour ago, GriffinWinnie02 said:

Tow dolly time

GriffinWinnie02,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum. 

Since this is a REAR WHEEL DRIVE,  dolly towing is not recommended.  Said another way, towing with the rear wheels on the dolly and front wheels on the ground is not recommended by and vehicle manufacturer.