eric@babin.com

BUILDING RV PAD / TEXAS HILL COUNTRY

I decided to start a thread regarding our RV pad we are building in the Texas hill country, specifically Pipe Creek TX. (about 40 miles north west of downtown San Antonio. 

I thought it might be nice to document the progress of said structure.

We're putting in a caliche pad (concrete too expensive), with a 24' x 54' cover, and a 12' x 28' storage building. It will have 50amp service and well water. 

No septic.  Due to high density of rocks the septic was going to run almost $15,000.  We travel frequently so dumping every couple weeks won't be difficult. (we will be able to dump gray on site)  If it becomes a hassle we'll add it later. 

Once we get the pad, cover, and storage building complete we're going to add outdoor kitchen and sitting area using flagstone, decking, lighting, and artificial turf.

Attached are the pictures of the progress so far... which is just the caliche pad and footings for cover and storage building.

I've also attached renderings of storage building and cover. As you see, this is not going to simply be an industrial metal cover and pre-fab storage.  

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer what I know. 

IMG_0341.thumb.jpg.15a40533d64abaf626d9713a14de934b.jpg

Lumber delivery December 4th. 

Scan_20181204.thumb.png.f1737c5a231448961e5b91d708777851.png

IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.ee91b901bfadb150261ac9ffb93c3413.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Eric, looks good now on paper and would like a picture of the completion.  Hope you know that caliche when dry is ok, but when wet it's a nightmare!  See if you can get Dirty D (that's what  we call it in Burnet County) to place on top of caliche...a 9 yard truck, delivered and spread is $385 here...it sets up like cement and does not go gooey when it rains.  We use it here at ranch for our roads, parking lots, 2 RV pads!

27 minutes ago, manholt said:

Eric, looks good now on paper and would like a picture of the completion.  Hope you know that caliche when dry is ok, but when wet it's a nightmare!  See if you can get Dirty D (that's what  we call it in Burnet County) to place on top of caliche...a 9 yard truck, delivered and spread is $385 here...it sets up like cement and does not go gooey when it rains.  We use it here at ranch for our roads, parking lots, 2 RV pads!

Yes.... I am thinking of options to reduce the messy mess when it rains.... might build a deck that will come right up to the door.... or maybe artificial turf.... or the crushed granite.... but, I'll look into Dirty D too!

EDIT: Is there another name for "Dirty D"? Can't find info. 

That's what we call it here...maybe a local quarry where your at would know.  It's light rust color, that turns light gray over time.

I'm thinking it has lime/clay in it and the gravel is different sized...we use medium, for better traction.

Monday December 10th update....

All this framing done in one day!  

The tiny house looking structure will be the 12x28 storage building.

It's pretty obvious what the four 8x8's are going to be. 

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

Coming along at a faster rate, than I would have thought, considering the wonderful weather!  Did you find  an answer to Dirty "D"?  I have asked here and it's crushed lime stone & clay mix...works like chalice, but packs solid and sets up like cement over time!

52 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Eric, road millings are another good option and are usually free or very cheap.

Here in Alabama, we call that stuff "RAP", stands for removed asphalt pavement. I cant tell how we make it stick back together in the shade here, that's what PM's are for.

Thank you guys... all great suggestions.... we will be getting about 15 yards of crushed granite... may use that in some spots to prevent mess when it rains.... 

Here is today's picture update:  (those 2x10s that are held up by other 2x10s... uh... ye, that is "scaffolding".  

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

Depends if your in the city limits or not. Some counties require them but only if you tell them that you are building something. When we built our Barn and then Home we didn't have any permits but we exceeded all known code requirements. 

Herman

42 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Depends if your in the city limits or not. Some counties require them but only if youtell them that you are building something. When we built our Barn and then Home we didn't have any permits but we exceeded all known code requirements. 

Herman

Good to know! Thank you

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

In Texas, do you need building permits for something like this?

I have no idea..... I hired a contractor to handle everything.....

My guess is we don't have permits.... I could be wrong... but I think if you have permits you post them on property just in case of an inspector stops by.  We have nothing posted. 

We are pretty far out in the country.... unsure if we are with any "city limits". 

Here in Jefferson County Colorado, Permits are required for anything and you had best have a wheel barrow to haul in the green stuff. It is just crazy, They even have an inspection sign off line for screwing the drywall up properly...no over screws. It is out of control. 

6 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Joe, unfortunately some HOA's can be more problematic when it comes to building homes and outbuildings.  

We don't do HOA's! I am married, she tells me where to plant flowers, what color/type flower. I get that for free, no need to pay someone to tell me what to do and how to hang my garden hose  and what color my front door has to be:wacko:

A town not too far from us requires a permit to paint the interior of your house, of course if they micro manage that I would imagine you need to pull a permit do do just about anything but mow the lawn if interior paint is such an alarming concern!

Joe, In  the City of Burnet, you need a permit to fart...we are in the County, on over 10ac.  Can build  what we want...the plane comes over every once in a while & takes pictures of any new permanent building.  That's why my new RV barn will be a continuation of the current barn, no new taxes.  Property is Ag exempt, Linda pay's $40, house and barns $2,400.  6 cargo containers are not on the ground, so no tax!  We operate on propane tanks, 3 water well's, 3 water holding tanks above ground and electric!

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, manholt said:

How far are you from TCC?  

We are about 6 miles from Texas Custom Coach.... take 1283 at the post office near TCC for about 6 miles....

We're about a block from Hill Country Elementary. 

Nice area, I might stop by after breakfast tomorrow...Red Jeep, 2 door on Steroids!  Been here since Sunday pm, waiting on a module.