eric@babin.com

BUILDING RV PAD / TEXAS HILL COUNTRY

Hail will do considerably more damage to an asphalt shingle roof than a metal roof. Hail may put some dimples in it but rarely will it puncture a hole like in standard shingles. My ranch house had a metal roof and they used a rubber membrane between the decking and the metal to keep the condensation from getting to the OSB decking. 

Its going to look great when finished, Eric.

Mr. Jim, You are quite right, however the "impact resistant" shingles are another breed and are looked upon by the insurance companies very favorably. I am quite sure State Farm did not write the rebate checks back to us as a favor for installing a new roof. They asked for proof which I had to get...actually in the end they got confirmation from the local roofing company that did the work. I have had metal roofs for more than thirty years and from several stan points loved them. From one point , hail and heavy rain create a pretty loud din. I personally like the look, on the cabin I built it would have pulled it out of the ground enhancing the look considerably. The "Impact Resistant" shingles pushed it down softening the look and size...I am happy, just a Eric will be when he is finished. My point was do the fiduciary homework, more to it than assembling the structure. The long term cost ended making the decision for me.  

One other long term consideration on metal roofs and of course it depends on the type, standing seam or flat screwed down is that the expansion and contraction of the metal on screw down WILL pull the screws up. It is necessary from time to time, to maintain the screw tightness in order to maintain the integrity of the screw seal to get up there and reset them...Just as me how I know...I learned the hard way. From that point alone the membrane will be a real friend. 

The edit was to add this. Of course I do not know the type of metal roof being installed but the roof Bill commented on I considered, It looks great. What I discovered upon its delivery was 1 it was not a class A roof, 2 without a layer of DENSDECK under it. Same applied to a 22 gage screw down metal roof. This means it does not have a great resistance to fire. I already had the roof dried in and was not about to put DENSDECK down and another layer of underlayment so I sent it back. Just another consideration to be made..

Eric, if your there Wed.  I'll be at TCC, so I'll swing by and look, see.  

Since your not building a house.  I see nothing wrong with metal roof of any kind.  Insurance is a non issue & your there part time.  

Looks great, both of them! :D

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Eric, if your there Wed.  I'll be at TCC, so I'll swing by and look, see.  

Since your not building a house.  I see nothing wrong with metal roof of any kind.  Insurance is a non issue & your there part time.  

Looks great, both of them! :D

We will be here Wednesday.... just remember... we're LIVE on air starting at noon for about an hour, sometimes a little more. If anyone wants to tune in you can stream it on www.RadioTropRock.com or our free smart phone applications. If you are tech savvy then I'll tell you we're also available on Streema, Tune In, and Radio.net

Bill E.  It was excellent info.  Linda is going to re roof with GAF !  :) Main house and 6 rentals, along with one commercial...3 rentals have 20 gage metal.

Just got back from our event in New Orleans "Pardi-Gras".  We've got about 11 days before we have to be in Marble Falls for "Lone Star Luau".  The major stuff is almost done..... only the metal roof needs to be put on.... then we'll star landscaping and making it 'pretty' after we get back from Lone Star Luau.  

Here are the latest pics:

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Very nice. Just need one more thing. A pad right next to it for visitors. 😀

We were in NOLA (well Belle Chasse) until the 16th, then Lafayette for 4 nights.

Missed you, but not on purpose.

Skid steer (Bobcat) rental on the way - Landscaping starts tomorrow. 

Crushed granite and flagstone has been delivered.  

It's going to be a fun week!

Here is a few "before" pictures. 

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, wayne77590 said:

So are you saying you are going to ask DW to help?

hmmmm..... probably not.... funny story though... there is one rock that probably weighs about 400lbs I need to move.... she comes out.... "would you like me to help you roll that rock in place".  I'm like.... "uh, that weighs about 400 pounds".... she says "and?".  ye, right!  LOL

More progress..... here are the latest pictures. 

Let me just say.... I'm exhausted!  

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Eric.  Mowing right along and looking good. :wub:  Just one small question...Where is the water and Sewage?  

Wayne.  His DW is a sweetheart !  Raised my BP..:lol:

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Eric.  Mowing right along and looking good. :wub:  Just one small question...Where is the water and Sewage?  

Wayne.  His DW is a sweetheart !  Raised my BP..:lol:

Water is right next to pad..... Well, it was attached to side of pad.... I just broke it with the bobcat during excavation next to pad... now, it's about 6 feet south of pad.  LOL

Sewer?  None for now. They wanted about $13,000 for a septic.   We have a dump nearby and move frequently... so, not an issue yet. 

Here are today's update pics.... still have the covered deck/bar area to build, and more detailed work cleaning up and spreading mulch.... and of course painters are coming back for touch ups.... and roofers to put metal roof.   but... so far so good. 

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

You got a lot done in a short period of time, the landscaping made a huge difference!  Job well done! :)

Where in MF is the Lone Star Luau?  You in RV or just Jeep?

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Eric,

How well does the sewer drain with the hose going over the fence twice?:o:lol:

Herman

That is my gray water hose.... it's up on the fence while I drive the skid steer around.... don't want to crush it before it's put into place. 

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Eric, what is your address and when are you traveling and for how long?

We're in the Pipe Creek TX area. Not too far from Texas Custom Coach if you know where that is. 

Here is our schedule:  http://radiotroprock.com/tour-schedule/  

16 hours ago, manholt said:

You got a lot done in a short period of time, the landscaping made a huge difference!  Job well done! :)

Where in MF is the Lone Star Luau?  You in RV or just Jeep?

Lakeside Pavilion. We'll be in RV with Jeep.  We were parking at the Pavilion.... but, they just started construction on the parking lot.... we'll be parked near Brass Hall and drive jeep to pavilion.