pflaumek

Debris Damage to Toads

We recently went on a trip to Destin FL, driving both interstate and back roads.  We own a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH and tow a 2017 Lincoln MKX.  The trip to and from presented no issues, but after returning home and going through our normal routine of clean-up and inspection, I found a an piece of steel lodged in the mud flap of the bus.  The piece of steel measured 14 inches X 1 inch X .25 inches and weighted at least one pound.  The piece was driven through the mud flap and lodged itself halfway through.  I can't help but to think of the damage it would have caused to the Lincoln.  Yes the tow dolly has a shield to protect it from stones and other debris,  but I'm skeptical the Lexan shield would have stopped this projectile. Has anyone else encountered this type debris?Bar.jpg.3ec40f7a2f26f524368f71dc758ca039.jpg1861463817_FrontSide.jpg.cf789a628580885517b8e316cb62d153.jpg921380894_BackSide.jpg.853c9b762c324cfc5c331eb40cd54f5d.jpg

Hurricane, CAT 5, hit that area, not long ago...surprised that you didn't pick up more!  I have towed a lot of cars, since 1985 and no damage so far!  Guess it was your Lucky day! 

Murphy's Law:  The more a toad cost, the more damage it will incur! :D

We actually went two days after the Hurricane, so we saw the damage first hand.  We live in Middle GA, and for almost 200 miles, it felt like we were traveling through a war zone.  Many of the back country towns were devastated, so  we felt pretty good about making to and from without incident.  Luckily, Destin was spared, so overall worth the trip.

There's no telling what will be on the road.  Several years ago, while travelling on a relatively empty interstate, we heard a noise from the rear of the coach.  We looked around and checked all the gauges, everything looked good.  When we got to the CG and were setting up, the DW came up to the front and said, "you need to come look at this."  The foot off the right rear stabilizer was gone.  Some how it missed the toad....and any body following us.

There was an accident in SE Wisconsin in 1994 which killed five of a family's children when their van hit some metal road debris. Ever since then, I've noticed debris as I pass it on the road. Once I had cell phone I have it a habit now to call 911 to report road debris if it's possible to hopefully avoid another tragedy.

You were lucky that the only damage was to your rear flap. It really emphasizes how important it is to do a full walk-around inspection at every stop.

I arrived home from a short  TDY trip to Ft, Dix NJ one year (driving our customized 1T Chevy van). Next day I was cleaning the van and noticed something in a mud flap, an 8" screwdriver! I had unknowingly ran over it somewhere. The mud flap and a slight divot in the RR tire was the only damage; but I did have another good screwdriver.😉