Sign in to follow this  
jeananded

Replacing the heater core - Tiffin Allegro Bay

I have a 2006 Allegro Bay, with the Cummins diesel up front (a "puller"). I have to change out the heater core - it leaks - and am not sure on where to start. It is winter here on the east coast and we are planning on travel in January, so it would be nice to have warm feet as we drive along. Anybody done this kind of work before? Can I get to the core from the front of the bus, or do I need to pull the whole dash (I hope not!)

Thanks

Ed Herbert

FMCA F468022

Ed, on any vehicle it is  challenging. It is under the dash - inside the Heater / AC box and requires allot of disassembly as well as a long list of tools. Even for repair shops it can be a longer then expected process.

Needs allot of thought before proceeding. From your basic description, it sounds like a Freightliner Fred Chassis. 

Rich. 

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Keep in mind if you don't get it fixed you can run the furnace to stay toasty warm.

Bill

As Bill Mentioned - You can run the furnace to keep the coach warm even on the road, but you will need to find out if there is a way to turn off the heater hose hot water hoses feeding the heater core.

Rich.

All great points for me to consider. Yes, it is a Freightliner chassis, and the previous owner (unknown because I bought it used at the Rally in Gillette last summer) installed a cutoff valve in the hose to the heater. At the time, I could not figure why anyone would do that - now I know. I did not think to just check the hoses, so, thanks,  that will be my next step, followed by a call to the nearest Tiffin dealer. ("hey - how the heck do ya do this....?")

I have had two shops look at it and decline the work because of the complexity - at least they were honest enough to say they couldn't do the work, vice just tearing into the dashboard. And yes, we ran the heat pumps and furnace to keep warm while driving on our last trip.

My question still stands - has anybody done this repair?

Thanks guys!

Ed

Been through the process on freightliner chassis but not on a Fred.

Think contacting Tiffin is a good start, but also ask what they charge and how long does it take.

Rich.

8 hours ago, jeananded said:

I haven't, and I am surprised that you have a leaking heater core on that new of a coach. Follow the hoses up to the air box you may be able to see the rigid lines from the core where the rubber lines attach. I would look for a leak there. 

Just as a double check is the leak the same color as your coolant? 

As stated before if you decide  to drive it you should shut the valve off.

Bill

I have done it on a 1998 Allegro Bus (pusher).  I was able to access the heater box from the outside thru the generator compartment.  The heater box had lots of screws and clips around it.  There only a couple of screws which I couldn't get to on the backside (passenger side).  I was able to open it up enough to pull the heater core out.  I took the core into a local radiator shop and they were able to fix it by sealing off the bottom row, saved me $350 for a new core.  I took a little extra effort to re-install the core, things always come apart easier than they go together.  I was able to get it all back together and it worked!  Mine also had a set of valves installed on the heater hoses...hmmm, someone had problems in the past!