gthatch

RV Lot Ownership

Is anyone aware of any forums, groups, or message boards, here or on another site, where RV resorts are reviewed as far as it pertains to lot ownership, not renting or short term visits, i.e. comments, recommendations, caveats for potential lot buyers. I am beginning to research possible ownership and while I find many campground review websites and message boards, I find none that seem to be geared toward RVers who are seeing to buy a lot. Looking in the SWF area at places like Naples Motorcoach Resort, Cypress Trail, and similar. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place

Your not in the wrong place...I never have owned or pursued that, but I have rented several from other owners!  There will be others on Forum later, that may be able to help you!

I don't know of any forum or outlet geared directly toward what you are looking for.  In SW Florida there are several nice campground where owners own their own lots.  Don't forget to check Gulf Waters RV Resort in the town of Ft Myers Beach.  It isn't exactly on the beach but across the bridge.  Extremely nice CG.  Several years ago there were lots for sale.

Thank you all for input. The link above is very helpful. But I guess what I'm looking for is comments, complaints, recommendations from lot owners. I will keep searching! Thanks again

3 hours ago, gthatch said:

Thank you all for input. The link above is very helpful. But I guess what I'm looking for is comments, complaints, recommendations from lot owners. I will keep searching! Thanks again

That may be a group who isn't organised enough to have a site. I have seen few if any post on the subject. Good luck

Bill

My daughter has a dear friend that bought one of those lots near Orlando, I will check for the name of the CG this weekend. That lady and her husband have told me that it was a very good investment and they loved that style of living. They maintain a home here in B'ham., Al., and only return to B'ham., for the three hottest months of each year since retirement 10 years ago.

We have been keeping the RV lot option open for a while, anywhere. Nothing yet has caught our fancy....or should I say the DW

has the majority of the decision.......

I'll follow this post.

David

I know people who bought into "own your lot", RV Resorts...most bought more then one lot and enjoy the extra income it brings, by being rented out.  Mr. "Rett" Porter, our FMCA Sr. National VP, comes to mind and so does a friend in Shriners International...never heard a complaint.  Send a email to Rett...my coach is in a shop, 180 miles away so I don't have his card.

I just got an advertisement email from FMCA about lots for sale at a resort called Cypress Trails near Ft Meyers. I too am looking at the options of owning a lot and have similar questions about the pros & cons. I will post when I get any good info & would appreciate input as well. Denny

I spent some time in Florida over the last month & ended up buying a lot at Myakka River RV Resort in Port Charlotte. The lot ownership made sense for us in Florida because we wanted to stay there for a few months in the winter. We don't have any other location where we want to stay put for that long. As you all know, trying to find a nice place to park far enough south to get warm weather & be around the beach is tough. We got tired of getting cancelled or bumped so we bought a lot.

From an investment point of view you can rent it when you are not using it & sites in high end resorts are in big demand. Myakka has been open for around 5 years and some folks were selling lots they had owned for some years & were making some profit on the sale. We liked Myakka because it was small, only 100 sites. Its a beautiful location on the Myakka River, beautiful sunsets, super facilities like club house, and a great community feel with very friendly folks. We looked at some other resorts but they were much larger, 300 sites, and it felt like everything was packed together. 

So I would say site ownership makes sense if it is  in a location where you want extended stays and sites are at a premium. Be careful to pick a nice, well run place where others will want to buy in. I don't think it will be the best investment I have ever made but I don't think its like the old Florida time shares that people got stuck with. If you  pick a good place you should be able to get your money back when you are done enjoying it and pick up some rental income in the meantime to help pay for taxes & HOA fees. Denny

I too was looking for a RV lot and ended up buying a lot in PCB, golf cart community. Venture Out , it is mostly park models and houses now but they have property on the beach side as well and the bay side for my boat. 24 hour security and nice restaurant across the street you can drive the golf cart to. I may just leave a street legal golf cart for folks that may want to rent it that way when they park they really don't need a way to get around. it also had a small washer and dryer building in the back with an extra refrigerator/sink. Two swimming pools and one is heated year around for the cooler months. like you said I might be the smartest investment but we shall use it until then. It would be nice to rent it to other Rvers if it something they would like too ,, if not that's Ok too as I can leave mine there and use it whenever we want to.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:26 AM, manholt said:

I know people who bought into "own your lot", RV Resorts...most bought more then one lot and enjoy the extra income it brings, by being rented out.  Mr. "Rett" Porter, our FMCA Sr. National VP, comes to mind and so does a friend in Shriners International...never heard a complaint.  Send a email to Rett...my coach is in a shop, 180 miles away so I don't have his card.

Besides Rett, we also have a lot in Happy Trails Resort in Surprise, AZ. If the OP wants to PM me with his phone number, I will be happy to talk to him about Happy Trails and some others in AZ.