Sign in to follow this  
keigm

Global Solar Flexible solar panals.

The 2019 Newmar Motor Homes are offering Four 100 watt Global Solar Flexible solar panals as an option.  Does anyone have any experience using these particular solar panals.  Thanks!

Keigm, I have done some reading on them, But personally have no first hand experience with them. 

The main concern I have is there durability. How they would hold up in the different weather conditions and second how they are mounted to prevent wind damage while driving.

Placing them on the roof, Would they need to be removed before traveling and stored to ensure a longer life expectancy? 

Rich.

Thank you Rich.  Reading about them sounds like a new generation of solar panels.  I had also heard the downside was the heat generated on the roof.  Just curious of any 1st hand experience with users.

Heat is an issue or can be an issue= reduced performance. Better to have some air flow underneath. The flexi panels are I believe glued down. You would not want them to have a loose edge, would not stay long. It would be a real pain to have to remove and reinstall each time they were needed.  The last time I checked one could buy rigid 100 watt panels from Renoloy for $114, up just a bit from the 100 that I paid last summer on sale.  B

I know one person that has them And no issues in two years.  They are glued down, not removable.

More expensive than rigid panels, only reason to use, I think, is because of curved roofs like in an Airstream.

Only know what I have read on this system & the non flex system.  Logic tells me that a non flex system, that raises & lowers, to the suns position in the sky, is a better system!  You can mount the flex on a mounting bracket, but why pay extra for the panel?