Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

LIPPERT LEVELING LEAKING NEAR PUMP

2014 Itasca (Winnebago) Ellipse (tour)

Lippert components leveling / LCI

See below I've got a leak. It only leaks during the time with the levelers are extending or retracting.

It's obvious it's leaking right out of the brass fitting / and or the hex plug fitting.   

My question is this:  Is there a gasket or o-ring or something that may have failed causing the leak?

When it first began to leak I did find the plug was a little loose.  I tightened it up, but it still leaks.  

I'm sending this same inquiry to Lippert... but you guys are so smart... I thought you may be able to help.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

lippert.jpg

Eric, any hydraulic repair shop, would have that fitting...it's not a lipper product.  When I had 2 hoses replaced on mine, I also got the L fitting.  Don't forget to also replace the brass grommet that goes over hose, then insert fitting and push grommet in place.

What I am seeing is the end plug is loose and the o ring is blown out. It looks like a hex drive in the end plug. I would take it out and replace the o ring (any big parts store) and reinstall it and see if it fixes the leak.

Bill  

Eric, I tend to agree with Bill. Check The Hex plug and check The threads on the plug threads for any damage, with a magnifier. As Bill mentioned - take a real close  inspection of the sealing "O" ring. The I.D. and O.D. also the thickness of the ring it's self - it must fit snugly and compress equally.  

You might want to consider a copper washer. Like the ones used on fuel lines and hydraulic brakes. The pressure in most leveling and slide systems is 3000 psi. Copper washers come in multiple sizes. 8 mm is not real common, but 10 mm to 16 mm are.

White Pipe cleaners work very well to find any leaking too almost a pinpoint. As soon as it touches a leak it changes color and can be  trimmed using wire cutters to keep checking for other leak points.

Rich.

59 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

White Pipe cleaners work very well to find any leaking too almost a pinpoint. As soon as it touches a leak it changes color and can be  trimmed using wire cutters to keep checking for other leak points.

That is some good, old school trouble shooting technique. 

Bill 

Here is our Lippert reply:

Hi Eric, there is a O-ring on the plug. We do not have replacements but do have the plug with O-ring part number 140998 @ $2.95 and can be ordered at this link   https://store.lci1.com/6408-hhp-04-o-ring-adapter-hex-plug

Thank you,

David Bice
Lippert Components

Here is my order:  (look at price of shipping a little hex plug) (I ordered two so I have a spare)

1/4" Hydraulic Fitting - Hex Plug (6408-04)

SKU: 140998 BU-039

2 $5.90
Subtotal $5.90
Shipping & Handling $18.67
Tax $1.66
Grand Total $26.23

I'll post once it replace the part and let you know if it fixed it. 

39 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Park on your new gravel and you can break it in with oil drips till you get the "O" ring. It's going to happen some time might as well be now then later.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Herman

We're actually parked on a different part of the drive while they build the RV cover.... so, the drips will be here.... but, since it's caliche (gravel) is seems to soak in pretty good... probably no permanent "damage". 

Kind of like when you get a new pick up.... just go back to the truck bed and put a nice big scratch in it with your key.... then you don't have to worry about scratching it later... the stress is gone.

Replaced the hex plug today.... It appears to have fixed the leak.... 

See the attached photos of the old and the new..... one thing of note.... the new ones have some sort of black coating on them making it difficult to get the allen wrench to fit easily.... 

You can see the damaged o-ring on the old one. (btw- there is just one.... I got 2 new ones so i'd have a spare. )

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg