rcieslak67

Aquahot

We are located in the Camp Gulf campground in Miromar Beach, Florida and we have indicated the continuing issue after REV completed three repair attempts in their repair facility in Decatur, Indiana.

Our Aquahot will not work on electric when hooked to shore power, does anyone know of a reputable repair facility around Destin, Florida?

I newer turn the electric side off, it will not hurt it.  My hot water comes from engine when driving, but then when camped, I forget to turn on elect for AH...4 hours=cold=very unhappy co pilot. :P 

What year is your coach?  Do you have the 400, 450 or 600 AH?

It should be a fairly easy fix. The control Thermostat calls for heat and when AC mode is on it will activate a 12 volt relay which will put AC to the heating element. There is a high temp cutoff in line.Check the AC flow from relay to element if AC is there then check element resistance.

If relay does not engage controller is bad. . . . Ask me how I know. I've been through mine inside and out when I had an intermittent head issue.

REV Service in Decatur, Indiana worked on the Aquahot three times last summer, worked for a day each time and then quit. When it failed the last time I smelled burned wires inside the cabin. It will work on diesel, but do not want to stink up the whole campground. Talked to Aquahot and the closest certified facility is in Alabama around  120 miles north.

44 minutes ago, rcieslak67 said:

REV Service in Decatur, Indiana worked on the Aquahot three times last summer, worked for a day each time and then quit. When it failed the last time I smelled burned wires inside the cabin. It will work on diesel, but do not want to stink up the whole campground. Talked to Aquahot and the closest certified facility is in Alabama around  120 miles north.

If your Aquahot stinks up the whole campground you have issues. I run mine on diesel all the time and never use electric and no complaints about stinky diesel smell

Agree, no smell from mine or the last coach I had.  A leak will do that.

Joe, I asked that too...no answer, just REV, blah, blah!  

My gut tells me its a thermostat issue on the electric side. Ours has a low and high limit thermostat for the electric side. Basically one turns the element on and the other turns it off. Our high limit opened up and cut power to the element back in September. Where Monaco mounted the unit made it a 15 minute troubleshooting experience and 5 minutes to swap it out. Honestly that is the most simple part of the entire unit. Smell form the exhaust would be fuel nozzle or air intake adjustment could be improperly set or fuel leaking from the fuel pump into the combustion chamber.

While performing routine maintenance its easy to bump the air inlet adjustment and knock it out of spec. Depending on the coach manufacture, the air inlet design and where its mounted for access it could be just that simple, don't forget geography can play a role with elevation or even something like a mud bug partially blocking inlet air flow. That was the reason for the year of the coach, might have never had its annual service performed, or it could be new enough not to have needed it yet?

Photos would be ideal.

27 minutes ago, jleamont said:

My gut tells me its a thermostat issue on the electric side. Ours has a low and high limit thermostat for the electric side. Basically one turns the element on and the other turns it off. Our high limit opened up and cut power to the element back in September. Where Monaco mounted the unit made it a 15 minute troubleshooting experience and 5 minutes to swap it out. Honestly that is the most simple part of the entire unit. Smell form the exhaust would be fuel nozzle or air intake adjustment could be improperly set or fuel leaking from the fuel pump into the combustion chamber.

While performing routine maintenance its easy to bump the air inlet adjustment and knock it out of spec. Depending on the coach manufacture, the air inlet design and where its mounted for access it could be just that simple, don't forget geography can play a role with elevation or even something like a mud bug partially blocking inlet air flow. That was the reason for the year of the coach, might have never had its annual service performed, or it could be new enough not to have needed it yet?

Photos would be ideal.

There is no thermostat for the AC side. There is only one control thermostat that detects when water is too cold. It signals the control board . . . and depending what you have selected . . . diesel or electric . . . It will activate that circuit till temp is satisfied.

That depends on the unit you have.  Joe has the old 400, mine is probably like yours, 450D and then there is the 600D, that is totally different (Similar to the Oasis)

50 minutes ago, sstgermain said:

There is no thermostat for the AC side. There is only one control thermostat that detects when water is too cold. It signals the control board . . . and depending what you have selected . . . diesel or electric . . . It will activate that circuit till temp is satisfied.

Nope, not a single thermostat, not a one! :lol:

Capture.PNG

There is 1 thermostat that controls water temp. There is no AC specific thermostat which is what you posted. The other thermostats you mention are high cutoff thermostats. Those VAC control thermostats are used on the older 430 series. If he has a 400 or 450 There is only one and it sends signals to the control board.

So I guess we are both right depending on the model

Only time I use electric is for continuous hot water demand, all other heating is diesel only. DW will switch on Elec when she gets up and I turn it off after I shower (if I remember to which is "most" of the time.) Running down the road the engine heats the water.  Why do I need hot water driving down the road?

If OP smelled burnt wire that is most likely why he doesn't have Elec.

53 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

If OP smelled burnt wire that is most likely why he doesn't have Elec.

I figured if burnt smell was electric, enough to stink out other campers that would have reared its ugly face long ago with fire or smoke

There is not much clutter in there.  Glycol reservoir, water in water out (hot/cold) some bypass valves and a electric harness.  Everything else is under cover...forgot the mixing valves. The only time it blows hot exhaust is on diesel, not elect.

You and I and Wayne, have the same AH.  There is a toggle switch for Diesel, Electric and Block Heater.  There is one electric element, 120 VAC at 1650 Watts, requires a 20 amp CB.  There are 3 internal thermostats, works both on diesel as well as electric...IMHO, your burned wire smell, was from the element or the Circuit Breaker in your main CB panel.  The CB will be marked Hydronic, has not been AH on 3 of my coach's!  Your coach & mine was built by Allied (REV).  Only disconnect/pull CB if your comfortable around elect.

If you have a smell coming from the AH exhaust on diesel, you have a issue that needs to be addressed by a AH Tech now, ASAP!  

What is the level of your Glycol Reservoir?  It should be located on the wall or floor by the AH.  If the level of fluid is below the full mark by more than 2 inches when COLD, fill it to the mark.  If you don't see any fluid, when cold...you could be in trouble.  A new AH is still a lot of $$$...Don't ask how I know!!!  After 6 years, I still shutter.

Here is the service manual for the 450D. If you are not comfortable working around electrical i'd recommend calling in a professional. I will say that most of the diagnostics on these is done with the coach powered down utilizing an Ohm meter. Just don't forget to unplug the coach, turn off the inverter, and shut down the generator auto start (if equipped) while performing any troubleshooting. 

Service manual;

http://www.aquahot.com/files/service_manual/AHE-450_Series_Service_Manual_REV_E.pdf

Parts manual;

http://www.aquahot.com/files/parts_manual/AHE-450-DE4_AHE-450-DW3_PARTS_MANUAL_REVISON_G_MAY_2014.pdf

I recommend a google search of any part number you should find a problem with, part shopping can save you a few $$ if you do your research. I personally prefer Aquahot factory parts.

I just fired mine up on diesel plugged into 20 amp and it pulled 16 Amps continuous with burner and heat exchanger blowers running.

I'm plugged into 50 amps, turned on AH at 7 pm on Elect & Diesel with furnace on at 72, front & back, same as you each time it cycles on/off. :P  I'm living in coach waiting for  elect module that will be here at TCC tomorrow!  :)