wildebill308

When the black tank fills without your help.

There is nothing like having the black tank burp at you because it is full 2 days after you emptied it. This with little use. After a quick trip outside in the rain to dump the tank. (why is it always raining and dark when weird stuff like this happens) I did a little investigation and found a little water under the water valve on the side of the toilet. I waited till I got back home to pick up a new valve at PPL. It is a pretty simple R&R job. I used a 1/4 drive ratchet and a short 5/16 socket to take the screws out. Good news new screws come in the package The access is kind of tight to get the water lines loose but if you pull the screws you can move it up for easier access. The same going back together. Hook up the water lines then put the screws in. Don't tighten the screws to tight. You can make the foot pedal to tight to move. So when you get it snug test the pedal to see if it moves freely.

Bill

Bill --

So we can all understand, your toilet foot valve "leaked through" which caused your black water tank to fill in 48 hours -- correct?  The engineer in me wondered the water flow rate needed to make this happen so I did this simple math.  Presume 50 gallon capacity black water tank.  48 hours fill time = 2880 minutes.  Water leak rate = 50 gallons / 2880 minutes = 0.02 gpm -- a very low rate but if constant fills a 50 gallon tank when no one is looking!

I will echo the 'cramped quarters' to change a toilet foot valve.  This past January during the few days of 20 F weather at my Richmond, TX storage facility, the one "low spot" I forgot to drain was the foot valve.  When the wife and I took the motorhome to the Hill Country in March, we had water on the floor around the toilet thanks to a leak from the bottom of the foot valve (later found a very small crack in the valve body threads at the bottom of the valve where the bottom cap attaches).  Replacing the valve was as you described -- tight quarters, laying on the floor, etc. except I threw-in a couple of choice adjectives when one of the water hoses would not come loose.

As winter approaches, I will not forget to remove the bottom cap and drain the foot valve....

I bet there are some who don't know you can remove the bottom of the valve to drain it. Just to mess with your calculations. I was using more water than you might normally to insure I would have plenty of water when it came time to dump. What about variations in leake rate depending on water preshure variations.😄

Bill

That's great information, now others who read this, will learn that you can drain the foot valve and save their coach!  Had you waited till morning, you would have had a very nasty time!

I only use campground potable water to fill my tank. If any of my plumbing develops a leak the pump running alerts be of the problem.  I had the ice maker line develop a leak in the middle and when I woke up, I a **** of a mess to cleanup.

Jim

5 hours ago, manholt said:

You need to use spell check!  It's pressure, no h.:P🎄

That is why we keep you around. Do I need to start pointing out any flaws in your post?

Bill