loranimal

2009 CAT C13 w/DPF

I am looking at a 2009 Beaver with the CAT C13 engine.  I hear horror stories but never from someone that actually owns one in an RV.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge with this engine?

Carl

loranimal.  Welcome to the Forum!

I don't have a CAT.  Everything I have heard about C13 problems is from OTR Truckers in regard to the Particulate Filter (DPF).  C13 was used by Beaver, Safari, Country Coach and several other brands, with little or no problems.  

What Model, mileage and is there a service record on the Beaver your looking at?  Dealer or Private party?  

Merry Christmas🎄

Carl C.

8 hours ago, loranimal said:

I am looking at a 2009 Beaver with the CAT C13 engine.  I hear horror stories but never from someone that actually owns one in an RV.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge with this engine?

Carl

Walk away! Those were absolutely the worst engines ever made by any manufacture. 

This is one of many examples of those engines made with DPF's;

https://www.dieselnet.com/news/2010/08cat.php

Joe, There is a gentleman in Oregon that replaced a Cat 13 with a Detroit 60 series and it bolted up to the Allison 4000. The changes needed to install the engine and related cooling, air intake and CAC  was a process. The end results was a coach that on its first run down and backup the grapevine was getting 18 MPG at 70 mph. 

One needs to understand that he owns a large operation and had one of his large Low Boys pick up the Beaver in MT. at what might be called a fire sale . 

Rich.   

26 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Joe, There is a gentleman in Oregon that replaced a Cat 13 with a Detroit 60 series and it bolted up to the Allison 4000. The changes needed to install the engine and related cooling, air intake and CAC  was a process. The end results was a coach that on its first run down and backup the grapevine was getting 18 MPG at 70 mph. 

One needs to understand that he owns a large operation and had one of his large Low Boys pick up the Beaver in MT. at what might be called a fire sale . 

Rich.   

Rich, my thought was for the right $$ it could be a good deal. Personally Id pull it, sell it and install an older CAT product that fits pre 2004. But it would have to be a $5000-$10,000 coach. The issue, even before the DPF came along the C13 wasn't reliable. I had not thought of the Detroit conversion before, that's interesting. 

Carl,  SMC Safari never used the C13 in question, now a Monaco built Safari may have but I have not run across it. That is likely true for Beaver as well since the C13 came out after the demise of SMC and Monaco bought it. The big engine that SMC used was predominately the C 12 425 and the Beavers received the 455 and 505. C 12 was from my understanding the best CAT built and is still a favored power plant.

Stay tuned, I have a friend that bought a Country Coach recently powered by a C13. He has had it now for about 5 months and 3,000 + miles. I will call him and see what his take is on this. He is a fultimer and moves about quite a bit. He is also a  Master Tech retired and did not hesitate to buy the coach. His back ground is the heavy machinery/equipment business as an operator and mechanic.

33 minutes ago, rsbilledwards said:

Stay tuned, I have a friend that bought a Country Coach recently powered by a C13. He has had it now for about 5 months and 3,000 + miles. I will call him and see what his take is on this. He is a fultimer and moves about quite a bit. He is also a  Master Tech retired and did not hesitate to buy the coach. His back ground is the heavy machinery/equipment business as an operator and mechanic.

What year? The C13 and the C13S two completely different animals.

Ok C 13 in the CC rig 2006 no Particulate equipment runs great  S now I get it the one in question, DPF=S which was not in the equation and not in my info bank. Interestingly enough had a conversation with Dwight and he added that Kubota tractors used to be great and now that they too have the particulate management on them they are now very problematic as well.

That's a nice coach...been looking at a few, also the 630.  At 98K, it's barley broke in!  I was getting 6.4 on mine at 82k, took it in to Cummings and they put the computer on it, found that the sift points on the Allison was off...now, I'm getting 6.8 to 7.2 mpg and it's easier to climb long grades!  You could do the same...I would take it to Allison!