Sign in to follow this  
f475810

Tire Savings Benefits. Buy smart!

I just bought new steer tires for my rig, and along with it came a learning opportunity. 

After weeks of on-line work comparing the tires offered under both the Continental Choice and Michelin Advantage program, I settled on the higher priced Michelin tires.  Next came the dealer locator tool, and confirmation they had my tire and were enrolled to administer the FMCA sponsored tire program.  I provided them with the quote I received from the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan web site to verify price and tires sizes.   I followed up as instructed and registered my credit card, made the install appointment, and thought I was on the way to great savings...…………………  But wait, there's more to the story!

On the install day at the dealer, in this case Tire Factory in Pasco Washington, I was enthusiastically greeted by the manager Eddy who showed me the tires, confirmed the manufacturers date, and then said he had some news for me on the price that we needed to talk about.  I thought, oh boy, here it comes, another hit to the wallet!  But Eddy surprised me by showing me the everyday price on the tires was $30 less per tire than the FMCA benefit price promised by Michelin!  The FMCA benefit price was supposed to have saved me a total of $170 over the regular price.  But the Tire Factory every day price beat that, and went on to save me a total of $230!!!

So the moral of my story is two fold:  1)  Shop smart!  Make sure you not only ask if the dealer participates in the program, but get confirmation on actual costs and savings!  2)  FMCA needs to do a little more work on these benefit packages to make sure they actually are benefits.

I hope this helps you!

Mark Ribich

F475810 

@F475810,

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your added savings!  We do see this from time to time in which a dealer is able to beat the Michelin Advantage pricing (reasons can vary) and exactly why we encourage our members to be thorough, smart shoppers such as yourself.

Sincerely,

Dan Ball, Director of Membership & Marketing

On 12/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, F475810 said:

I just bought new steer tires for my rig, and along with it came a learning opportunity. 

After weeks of on-line work comparing the tires offered under both the Continental Choice and Michelin Advantage program, I settled on the higher priced Michelin tires.  Next came the dealer locator tool, and confirmation they had my tire and were enrolled to administer the FMCA sponsored tire program.  I provided them with the quote I received from the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan web site to verify price and tires sizes.   I followed up as instructed and registered my credit card, made the install appointment, and thought I was on the way to great savings...…………………  But wait, there's more to the story!

On the install day at the dealer, in this case Tire Factory in Pasco Washington, I was enthusiastically greeted by the manager Eddy who showed me the tires, confirmed the manufacturers date, and then said he had some news for me on the price that we needed to talk about.  I thought, oh boy, here it comes, another hit to the wallet!  But Eddy surprised me by showing me the everyday price on the tires was $30 less per tire than the FMCA benefit price promised by Michelin!  The FMCA benefit price was supposed to have saved me a total of $170 over the regular price.  But the Tire Factory every day price beat that, and went on to save me a total of $230!!!

So the moral of my story is two fold:  1)  Shop smart!  Make sure you not only ask if the dealer participates in the program, but get confirmation on actual costs and savings!  2)  FMCA needs to do a little more work on these benefit packages to make sure they actually are benefits.

I hope this helps you!

Mark Ribich

F475810 

That price comparison recommendation used to be stated on the FMCA Michelin tire program page, it's no longer there that I can find.

Unless I missed something, they have designated drive an steer tires...you have a blow out in front, you must make it clear that you need a steer tire!

Welcome Mark, and thanks for posting your experience on the tire purchase.  So, to sum up the FMCA tire program, if you are a "smart" shopper and take your time finding your tires you can actually save more money on your own as compared to using the program.  Okay then.  

JS.  In a word, Yes!  However, if there is no special promotion or sale going on, then on a day to day basis, FMCA Tire, Fleet Program, is a sweet deal.