F454258

valve stem cores

I have had issues with air loss on the LF tire of my 2014 Bounder. I use a TPMS which must be removed to check/change pressure.  I also must use an extender to allow the monitor to attach.

Lately the valve core has been sticking.  Last time I had to remove it and re inflate the tire.  I had purchased replacements on the road.  Basically the OE core was bent and wouldn't hold pressure. I used a replacement from NAPA.  The plastic band on the original was black, the new one red.  Is there a reason for the colors ?  Am I safe ?  I have talked to a commercial tire store and various auto parts stores.  All say they is no difference.  ??

Thanks in advance.

In my experience they come in multiple colors. I've never noticed a difference. I carry a handful of spares, as well as the tool to change them.

1 hour ago, tirestoo said:

The red band is for higher temperature and pressure. 

That is right and some designed for extra high preshure have a "H" stamped on the top. There is a specific torque called out for the installation of a valve core between 2 - 5 inch pounds. As you can see, it doesn’t take much to torque. Also it is best practise to always replace the one you took out with a new one.

4 hours ago, F454258 said:

I have had issues with air loss on the LF tire of my 2014 Bounder. I use a TPMS which must be removed to check/change pressure. 

I would take it to a shop and find out what is causing the leak. Have you checked the stem, extention and the installed TPMS for leaks with soapy water (I like kids bubble solution)

Let us know what you find.

Bill

Hmmm.  I learn something new, every day or my memory banks are getting overloaded! :blink: Your both half right! 

The "H" stamp and/or red band, is for high temperature, not pressure!  Mostly used on truck and aviation tires...Since the average coach driver, don't do coast to coast in 3 to 5 days, it makes no difference if your rated for 225 F or 250 F !!! :P:wacko:

One way to lower the chance of bent valve core is to use the short ones. The long ones with the external springs are more prone to damage.

No reason to remove the TPMS except to add air which should only be once every 3 to 6 months.

I have a few posts on valves and core on my blog.  let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I bought  the ‘cool tool’ with the handle when I bought these.

i guess I’m good to go. I spent 40 on the road in sales and have always been very careful with tires and pressure.

For those interested, I will have 6-pack of new red band short valve cores with me at Perry  $2.00

Hope this info doesn't violate forum rules.