klindholm

Magnum ME-MR Remote Panel Anomoly

I have a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery with two Magnum MS2000 inverter/chargers along with the individual remote displays (1 for each unit) at my control panel.

For some strange reason, each time I run my generator and shut it down, both of the remote panels give me a red fault indication with "High ACV" (High AC Voltage) noted on the screens.

The inverter faults both reset after the battery disconnects are turned off and subsequently turned on again and the inverters work fine on shorepower or generator power while underway. It only happens when I shut the generator down.

Has anyone else experienced this anomoly or know what might be triggering the fault when the generator shuts down?

Klindholm.

Welcome back.

Do you have a load on, when you shut down?  AC/Heat pump or strip.  Turn off any high draw, wait a couple of minutes, then turn off generator...it needs to cool down!  I have the same Magnum, just bigger inverters.  10 Kw generator, one stage.

Make sure that AC (alternating current) frame ground is not connected to the chassis/chassis ground system in your coach. and also be certain the generator is in no way grounded to the chassis of your coach. I'm assuming that is an anomaly that has been with the coach as long as you have owned it. The generator is supposed to be mounted in rubber standoffs/mounts for this reason, if the system is compromised either intentionally or accidently, strange things seem to happen, and also possible shocking sensation in the event you are standing in water outside and touch any metallic object on your coach. More to this story but not the appropriate thread to introduce it.

Kay, The generator Ground needs to be connected to the Frame, if it is not one will see 60 cycle hum bars on the high side - most common point was the video screens in the past.

Rich.

There has never been any issue with that setup on our coach with it connected to shore power while exercising generator after servicing and it will happen. BTDT.

Correct, the generator frame, not the chassis (vehicle) frame, only time will ever be a problem is in the event neutral shunts to AC ground, unfortunately that does happen. I have seen more of this in bus conversions, and someone not familiar with AC vs DC grounding. 12 volts DC when touched by someone with wet feet, not usually a problem, while 120/240 AC could potentially be lethal, regardless of the source, shore power or generated or inverted. If hot side shunts to ground then fuse/circuit breaker will open, or if on GFCI then the GFCI will trip. I have over the years found that someone had replaced the AC breaker box and not knowing, had terminated frame ground to the neutral bus bar there with the chassis ground attached also causing numerous mysterious issues, yes when attached correctly to shore power then all frame grounds terminate there as they should, but when not attached to shore power then frame ground terminates at the generator.

Manholt,

It is the Cummins/Onan QD8000.

Kaypsmith,

As soon as I get back to the coach I will follow up on the generator ground connection with Fleetwood electrical schematics in hand.

The Magnum remotes plug into the inverter/charger with a communication/data cable and if it is sensing "High ACV" when shutting down the generator, then it has to be originated from my (generator) AC lines coming the Transfer Switch.

I have checked all my connections inside the Transfer Switch and they are tight and unremarkable. My next step will be to check my AC connections in each unit.

Your problem might be your inverter!  I had one blow up on me last Friday, had a new one installed Monday...All of my electric gremlins are gone!  Now I'm waiting on a EMC  that also went bad, no lights in bedroom!

22 minutes ago, manholt said:

Your problem might be your inverter!  I had one blow up on me last Friday, had a new one installed Monday...All of my electric gremlins are gone!  Now I'm waiting on a EMC  that also went bad, no lights in bedroom!

Any cheese left for the Mouse?

Rich.

I think it was to big for a mouse...rat.  Must have been several generations, elect problem has been on going since 2013, when I bought it.  No more blinking touch pads...I have had Tech's from Allied and REV all over the coach at AC Rallies!  Fleetwood, you got to love em!

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Now on the same page ?

Merry Christmas back to you and Lois Rich, and to all others on the forum. Did my last Santa for this year last night, the kid turnout was poor but all that did come had a blast.B)