MONTIE

Steering Stabilizers For Motorhome

I have been looking into putting a stabilizer on my 2008 Knight DFT. I have read about the different kinds and from all I read I had decided on the Steer Safe. I went this afternoon to buy and have it installed on the Roadmaster chassis. I was told by the service person that my coach was too heavy for the Steer Safe. He suggested to install another and more expensive hydraulic model, I think a Safe T. From what I read, the guys who have that one have trouble with centering and keeping it centered, whatever that means. My coach drives great and handles great, but I was trying to reduce the movement with bad pavement and truck movement when passed. I would love for you guys to give me some input, because I am confused.

I have been looking into putting a stabilizer on my 2008 Knight DFT. I have read about the different kinds and from all I read I had decided on the Steer Safe. I went this afternoon to buy and have it installed on the Roadmaster chassis. I was told by the service person that my coach was too heavy for the Steer Safe. He suggested to install another and more expensive hydraulic model, I think a Safe T. From what I read, the guys who have that one have trouble with centering and keeping it centered, whatever that means. My coach drives great and handles great, but I was trying to reduce the movement with bad pavement and truck movement when passed. I would love for you guys to give me some input, because I am confused.

Montie,

We have over 100,000 miles on a Safe T Plus with no centering issues-- it is bolted in place so it would surprise me if one got "off center".

BUT, let's look more closely at what you are trying to achieve.

Do you have the 4 air bag or 8 air bag suspension?

And if you can go into more detail on what you are wanting to improve-- is it sway (side to side), vague steering, directional stability when encountering side winds, etc.

We are currently at the FMCA Convention-- I would be happy to visit with one of the suspension guys I know who has designed quite a lot of the motorhome suspensions over the last decade and get his recommendation.

Brett

FYI,

I recently added a trucenter steering control which is a stabilizer as well as a centering electric hydraulic system. This was installed on a 41' Charleston with a gvwr of 32,000 lbs. Not only will it help in controlling steering with a tire blow out it also provides steering assistance with side winds and road crowns. I have driven cross country with it and would not consider driving without one if only for the steering assistance. It completely allows the driver to guide the steering wheel rather than hang on to it. It's sold by BlueOx.

Check it out

Regards

Desmo

Thanks Brett.

I envy the fact that you are at the rally.

I have an 8 air bag. As for the issues, the coach drives and handles great but as most I have a sway with the trucks passing, it would be nice to relax a little more with the trucks at interstate speeds. The steering is responsive and good but the valleys in some of the roads causes some sway. I think the directional when encountering winds and trucks would be my main concern. I was surprised when the service gave man voiced his concerns he had with the Steer Safe after reading all the testimonies concerning the performance on their coach. I am not sure I need this but if it will improve the wind issue that would be great

Montie,

We have over 100,000 miles on a Safe T Plus with no centering issues-- it is bolted in place so it would surprise me if one got "off center".

BUT, let's look more closely at what you are trying to achieve.

Do you have the 4 air bag or 8 air bag suspension?

And if you can go into more detail on what you are wanting to improve-- is it sway (side to side), vague steering, directional stability when encountering side winds, etc.

We are currently at the FMCA Convention-- I would be happy to visit with one of the suspension guys I know who has designed quite a lot of the motorhome suspensions over the last decade and get his recommendation.

Brett

Thanks Brett.

I envy the fact that you are at the rally.

I have an 8 air bag. As for the issues, the coach drives and handles great but as most I have a sway with the trucks passing, it would be nice to relax a little more with the trucks at interstate speeds. The steering is responsive and good but the valleys in some of the roads causes some sway. I think the directional when encountering winds and trucks would be my main concern. I was surprised when the service gave man voiced his concerns he had with the Steer Safe after reading all the testimonies concerning the performance on their coach. I am not sure I need this but if it will improve the wind issue that would be great

OK, recommendations in order:

Add a Safe T Plus.

If you still want more help with the sway issues, Roadmaster does have a larger front sway bar for the Roadmaster 8 bag suspension.

Lastly, I suspect you have Monroe shocks. Upgrading to Konis would certainly not hurt.

Brett

I have had both the Safe-T-Plus on a previous motorhome and currently have the TruCenter on our 2006 Monaco Diplomat Roadmaster chassis. The Safe-T-Plus will do the job for less money but I could feel the resistance from the Safe-T-Plus in the steering and it was difficult to find the correct clamp location on the tie rod for center. Finding center is a trial and error process by making adjustments to the clamp on the tie rod. The TruCenter cost more but it does not add resistance to the steering and can be centered or placed off center for cross winds from the driver seat.

Bob Nodine

Hi Montie,

I have a Sate-T-Plus steering control on my rig and it took two attempts to get it centered right, but once it was clamped down in the right place I haven't had a problem. If you're going to have it professionally installed it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure that you have time to drive it around a bit to make sure it isn't pulling to one side or the other. I don't notice any resistance when I'm turning the rig but it really helps with the big rigs and road ruts. I've never had a blow out but I've read stories from folks who think it saved their lives when they had one.

Well, I don't know which steering stabilizer is the 'best'. I do know that a while ago I decided I wanted to have one.

So, I phoned the folks at Steer Safe to find out if they had a unit for my coach. They asked me for the make and model# of my front axle. When I gave them that information, they replied that my axle was common for coaches and large trucks, and yes, they had a unit.

I bought it. I haven't installed it yet. But, based on what the manufacturer told me, I don't know why I shouldn't.

I would be interested in your results. I have decided to buy the safety plus and Camper world run it in their sale magazine for Oct. for 20% off. I was waiting for the sale. I have driven this long without it I can make it a couple of months. It was the service man at Camper World that told me that the Safety Steer would not handle a coach as large as ours. Who knows, I rely on the guys in this forum, they always give good advice. Keep us informed as to performance.

First - As you probably already know, some replies are giving information on totally DIFFERENT TYPES of suspensions - only those referring to an RR8R are of use to you. As mentioned in an earlier post - HENDERSON's website (and further, by phone) is the best place to start.

Steering Stabilizers MUST be fuly centered, but it's a simple adjustment that can only be checked by driving the coach. Don't let complaints by others "steer" you away (my apologies!). Many people have them installed without a road test, and I promise you - you need one! Once completed, you'll know it was the best decision when you hit a construction "zig-zag" and you can roll right through.

I'm concerned that you may have ride height and valving issues - check Henderson's website for an area dealer to ***** your rig. The RR8R is know for better handling than you describe.

FWIW - here's a link to help owners of RR4R suspensions - reading it may help you, although your rig was already improved with bigger airbags (2002) and refinements. You might contact THIS company to see what's coming down the pipeline for your rig.

The Safe T Plus DOES need to be centered when installed (as to all steering devices that help self-center). Does it sometimes take 2-3 fine-tunings to get it to where you can take your hands off the wheel and be assured that it will go straight-- sometimes. But a short test drive can completely finish the job. All that is involved is loosening 4 nuts and moving a bracket a small distance one way or the other and retightening the 4 nuts. Anyone can do it.

Brett

I installed the Steer Safe, was easy to install. Then we went on a 2000 mile trip. Improved handling immensely. The first thing I noticed was that it was windy, and I didn't even know it! Then I noticed that the coach didn't sway and handle poorly when big trucks were passing me. Then I got nervy and began passing them! Even in wind! I don't know about the other steering stabilizers, but I am pleased with what I have.

Jim & Kate Sanderson

1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'

Canada, eh?

Guest 2driftrs

We've put Steer Safe on our current coach 10 years ago. Relatively easy to install and works great on our 32 footer, but can't really comment on a 40 footer. Huge difference in price makes you wonder who the dealer is looking out for, you or him?

Hi Montie,

I know that I am the new guy here on this forum, but it would behoove you to hold off on any upgrades on the ride/suspension until after the FMCA Convention in Redmond. There will be a new product specifically made for the RR8R Chassis released at the Redmond rally. I've been told that new re-valved Bilstein Shocks are involved. Also several other parts. All made specifically for the RR8R and based upon the rebound rates of the air bags.

Thats probably more than I should say for now. Keep Watching

Montie,

We have a 94 Monaco Dynasty 38' DP, my trip from St Aug Fla to my home in Enterprise AL was a "chore" lots of wander, fighting road crowns, following 18 wheeler truck ruts, plus when said 18 wheelers passed us, lots of push, it was no fun and about wore me out.

Bought the "TruCenter" 370 lb steering control from AdventureRV.net Best price I found.

Bought the mounting brackets and hardware from PPL Motorhomes in TX off of a SafeTplus steering shock set up, again best price I could find. Took me about 4 hours to install entire system including electric switch to center it up.

In a word it is "Wonderful" the 370 lb spring really makes that big steering wheel easily return to center after a making a turn. Keeping the coach on a

straight line is so easy now. If a different road crown or a side wind has you fighting the steering simply push a button for two seconds and the control

re-centers "Eliminating" that side force. Hours later on a different road, different conditions, different wind you can re-center as needed.

I would highly recommend the TruCenter system by BluOx, makes the coach a pleasure to drive and adds a large degree of safety in case of a front tire

blowout, as well as reducing driver fatigue.

Hope this helps! HF Hop Collin

Please understand that I am not recommending against any steering stabilizer or centering device, BUT in many cases people turn to these devices to mask alignment issues.

Too little caster will cause wander, wheel lack of return to center, etc.

So, please get alignment set to specs before doing anything else.

Same applies to setting tire pressures based on actual weights-- that can make a real difference in how a vehicle tracks.

Brett

Okay, this is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right...

I recently purchased a 1995 Airstream Classic Pusher 36' (with 203,000 miles!) which sits on a Spartan chassis (solid axles w/ leaf springs) and have the typical problem of sway on uneven roads... what can/should I do?

It's in the shop right now getting new Bilstein shocks and bushings on the rear axle!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

post-15343-1286484076_thumb.jpg

Hi airstreamlife,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Have the shop check the chassis for loose and worn parts. Have a front end alignment done. Make the coach like it will be when you are traveling. Then weigh the coach (individual wheels) and adjust the tire pressure for the weight being carried. There are different after market devices that can be added if the steering remains unsatisfactory. Post again for suggestions.

Hi I have an '87 31' Southwind Eagle on a P30 chassis. I had steersafe installed right after I was blown at least 3 feet onto the edge of the highway by a strong wind gust in Eastern Washington. It has made a tremendous difference in the steering. I would recommend it .............Good luck, Jerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sea ya!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a '95 Safari Sahara with Leaf springs. Two of my buddies, ex professional truck drivers have driven and commented on wind and passing trucks....I thought it was just because I'm driving a 35' loaf of bread down the road. The steer safe was installed at Perry rally and now I know what they were talking about...the coach is more stable(drove up I-95 to 74E...The ride and driver comfort was improved greatly. Now I'm looking for new shocks, figure I have the originals w/53k+ miles. My toad is a 16' open trailer modified to carry my Harley or Honda with sidecars. Now I have a 24' enclosed widebody trailer so I can carry 2 to 3 side car rigs and extras..Have not towed this yet, what can be done for wind/truck swerve to the trailer other than an anti-sway bar? Do I need an equalizer hitch w/a DP or just stay w/standard 10,000" hitch? Thanks, George