elizabethmeyer

Bridge clearance - Busted Kenwood DNX571TR

TruckerPath is a phone app that will routes suitable for HDT's, it has many options for what to display, like rest areas, truck stops, WalMarts, weigh stations, alternate routes, and many more .

Yellow signs on side of road and on bridge. Watch for the yellow signs, or white. I am very conscious of the yellow warning signs, or white. So far, so good.

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Yellow signs on side of road and on bridge. Watch for the yellow signs, or white. I am very conscious of the yellow warning signs, or white. So far, so good.

That works, but I'm curious if you've even had to back out of a road? This would be more of a concern for me on secondary roads, especially since around here they seem prone to post the height & weight warning after the last turnoff to avoid the restriction.

On some of the older secondary roads the sign is on the overpass and not visible till it's too late. To change that would take a big undertaking that states don't have the monies for.  So driver beware.

Herman  

I can’t believe I forgot to mention this; Always look at the campground website for directions. I then look at it on google maps, anything that looks off I go to street view.

We have found if you’re going to have a problem it will be off of the main roads trying to wander back to the campground. To put this into better perspective, we are part timers, mostly running interstates due to time constraints.

A friend and I failed to do so up in the PA mountains. Ironically both of us took the same switchbacks straight up and over the mountains, both gas coaches towing started to over heat (hill was too much). What was really funny neither of us discussed it (we came through at different times) our wives did and ganged up on us. That was 6 years ago and we both still get harassed about that mess every time our wives get together :lol:. This was also the same time our Rand McNally GPS took us onto a farmers property because it was thought to be a road, I had a bit more of an interesting drive than he did.

7 hours ago, richard5933 said:

That works, but I'm curious if you've even had to back out of a road? This would be more of a concern for me on secondary roads, especially since around here they seem prone to post the height & weight warning after the last turnoff to avoid the restriction.

Richard, I came close once. I was at a stop sign and at that time running 13'4" and the sign was just around the corner. It said 12' clearance. I cut my wheels in the other direction and did a detour.  I did come to a military gate that was closed once and I was on board base. I pulled into a parking lot but was not able to make the cut so I had to unhook.

Dead ends are not nearly as bad as low clearances but they deserve some attention.

Something to be aware of on Low Clearances. When road work is done and new asphalt laid down the asphalt can be up to 2 inches thick. This will change the Low Clearance but the signs may not have changed yet.  Beware.

About 13 years ago we were driving SD 87 in our 1T dually(5er was parked at Custer), SD 87 has signage at each end(between SD89 and US385) warning of the Hood tunnel low clearance (10'). We were Northbound and got stopped in a backup about 1/4 mile from the tunnel. When we finally reached the tunnel we saw the reason for the backup. Now SD 87 is a narrow 2-lane highway, on the North side of the tunnel sat 2 40' DP's with towed. No place to turn around a1T dually let alone a MH, nearest driveway was about 3 miles behind them. Now how could anyone not see a 4'X8' plywood bright yellow sign at each end of that stretch of highway warning of low clearance?

I kinda wished we had time to park somewhere and watch the proceedings, but SD state police were busy blocking both ends at the signs by the time we reached 385.

On an other post here.  I mentioned having to back up a one lane road, outside off Lebanon, NH...no warning off any kind, then a yellow RR sign, 10 foot !  Our Apollo coach was 11' 6".  Grrrr! :angry:

The "truckers atlas" mentioned earlier is actually called the Motor Carriers Road Atlas. It is loaded with info that will help  RVs as well. Have used one for years and always have one in our Tiffin.

2 hours ago, obedb said:

The "truckers atlas" mentioned earlier is actually called the Motor Carriers Road Atlas. It is loaded with info that will help  RVs as well. Have used one for years and always have one in our Tiffin.

Howdy neighbor! I was hoping you’d chime in!

You guys are going to scare the OP into not moving for fear of a low bridge. 

The reality is if you stay on main roads you have few problems. The only problems I have had are on state or county roads. 

Bill

16 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You guys are going to scare the OP into not moving for fear of a low bridge. 

The reality is if you stay on main roads you have few problems. The only problems I have had are on state or county roads. 

Bill

Totally agree!

As mentioned, US Highways and Interstate Freeways are safe!  Any other road is suspect & local knowledge!

Think this post has run it's course!

On 12/22/2018 at 9:51 AM, ElizabethMeyer said:

Our Kenwood is in the shop for the next few months getting repaired.

I'm curious, what did you think of this GPS before it broke and what happened to it that it needed to be repaired? I am in the market for a replacement GPS and this is a brand I hadn't considered. 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:34 AM, jleamont said:

I'm curious, what did you think of this GPS before it broke and what happened to it that it needed to be repaired? I am in the market for a replacement GPS and this is a brand I hadn't considered. 

It was fine but very slow to load up or recalculate. That may be because the memory module was failing and ultimately failed. The screen would blank out and fill with hundreds of little blocks with the words "GIR LOW MEM" in them. You would have to shut it off and then go into settings to select the map which the memory failure would un-select.  This worked a few times but the problem quickly got worse and it would fail within five minutes of resetting. 

Stupid money to get repaired and the part is taking over two months to arrive at the repair facility. I was in a hurry to get it fixed which is why I went with the repair but I would do a lot of research on alternatives before I would go this route again. 

Mark

15 minutes ago, ElizabethMeyer said:

I would do a lot of research on alternatives before I would go this route again. 

Thank you!

On 12/24/2018 at 7:25 AM, jleamont said:

I can’t believe I forgot to mention this; Always look at the campground website for directions. I then look at it on google maps, anything that looks off I go to street view.

We have found if you’re going to have a problem it will be off of the main roads trying to wander back to the campground. To put this into better perspective, we are part timers, mostly running interstates due to time constraints.

Perfect example of this is Luray KOA in Virginia. The campground website tells you exactly how to come in cause the back road is tighter than spandex on a three hundred pound man. 

I drove cross country semi for 20 years. Only the last few years did I have a "truckers" gps and they are grossly wrong. I tried 3 different brands and all have their problems. If you stick to interstates , unless clearly marked, all underpasses are at least 13 ft 6 in. We hauled specialized and regularly went into residential neighborhoods. Don't obsess over it and PAY ATTENTION, most but not all places that are under 13' 6" are clearly marked. I've been in more places that I had to back out of because I couldn't make a turn than any low clearance problem. 

D ick