goingrway

North Carolina Non Commercial - Class B License

This relatively recent first time Class A Newmar Ventanna LE 3412 motorhome owner is seeking information regarding obtaining the Non Commerical Class B license required in North Carolina.

(a) Has anyone recently obtained this license?;  

(b) What sections of the CDL manual do you need to study?; 

(c) Can you take the written exam first and then followup with the driving test portion? Thought that might be helpful since it's my understanding that someone with a valid Class B license or higher must drive my motorhome to the driving test facility. No reason for someone wait for me to take the written test; if it can be avoided.; 

(d) Where did you take the written and/or driving exam (I live in the Cary, NC area)?;

(e) Any particular testing areas I need to concentrate on more than others in preparing?; and lastly

(e) Any thoughts on where I might find someone to accompany me (drive my unit) to the driving test? 

Any help is Greatly appreciated! 

2 hours ago, goingrway said:

This relatively recent first time Class A Newmar Ventanna LE 3412 motorhome owner is seeking information regarding obtaining the Non Commerical Class B license required in North Carolina.

(a) Has anyone recently obtained this license?;  

(b) What sections of the CDL manual do you need to study?; 

(c) Can you take the written exam first and then followup with the driving test portion? Thought that might be helpful since it's my understanding that someone with a valid Class B license or higher must drive my motorhome to the driving test facility. No reason for someone wait for me to take the written test; if it can be avoided.; 

(d) Where did you take the written and/or driving exam (I live in the Cary, NC area)?;

(e) Any particular testing areas I need to concentrate on more than others in preparing?; and lastly

(e) Any thoughts on where I might find someone to accompany me (drive my unit) to the driving test? 

Any help is Greatly appreciated! 

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id/driver-licenses/new-drivers/Documents/commercial-driver-manual.pdf

The link is for North Carolina. I have accompanied people in PA, I will say read the manual, especially understand the Pre-Trip inspection and memorize it, in PA they will require the driver to properly complete it, probably the same in NC as it is a Federal Law. They also asked both times if there was anything inside you need to check i.e. unsecured furniture, dishes, cabinet doors etc.....and both times they walked through the coach with the driver and he checked for any loose items that will come sliding forward or fall out while driving. 

And lastly, make sure you can properly operate the coach on the road, use your mirrors and pay special attention to warning signs, i.e bridge weight limits and height signs, once you cross over or under they will ask you what was that bridge height or what was that bridge weight rating.

I took my Class B driving exam about 6 years ago in Brevard NC.  I don't recall exactly which sections of the CDL drivers test guide I studied, but it was what they recommended when I picked it up.  The written (computer) test was mostly general driving regulations, but some on air brakes and performing the air system checks prior to driving.

I took the written test one day and then scheduled the road portion for a following time.  When I asked about bringing my coach to the facility for the test, the examiner said she really didn't care how I got it there.  She said if I got stopped on my way to the testing facility by a LEO, the it was up to them how it would be handled.  I had the destinct feeling that she (they) didn't care or want to know.