blakleyfamily

Fuel cans

Had a discussion with one of my neighbors the other day about driving while storing 5 gallon fuel cans. I've been doing it for years...seal em up tight. He says he opens the vent to prevent pressure build up while driving. Don't think so.

37 minutes ago, blakleyfamily said:

Had a discussion with one of my neighbors the other day about driving while storing 5 gallon fuel cans. I've been doing it for years...seal em up tight. He says he opens the vent to prevent pressure build up while driving. Don't think so.

What kind of fuel, Diesel or Gasoline and where are they stored?

Blakley,

I was in the welding supply business off and on for over 40 years. It was and still is to put a High Pressure cylinder or fuel gas cylinder in an enclosed vehicle, the back seat or the trunk. Most welding supply stores have a standing regulation the  the customer must place any cylinder on the dock for exchange and the replacement cylinder is placed on the dock to be put in the customers vehicle by the customer. this will relieve the business of any liability. Also cylinders must be returned with cylinder caps and there isn't a cap onthe returning cylinder the customer must purchase a replacement before taking possession of the replacement.

That being said this regulation only applies to the welding industry. Go have your propane gas grill cylinder refilled none of this applies. 

There is no problem with me in carrying a gasoline can, I have a truck and it is always secured to the bed.

Herman

3 hours ago, blakleyfamily said:

Well you are right.

What Are the New Regulations?

The current EPA regulations are based on requirements started in California by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2000 and were updated in 2007. At that time, regulation of PFC design (PFC =Portable Fuel Containers) and manufacture was controlled by individual states, but that changed with the current EPA standards. As of January 1, 2009, all new PFCs produced and sold in the United States must be compliant with the EPA regulations.

The regulations require:

A single, self-venting opening for filling and pouring with no separate vents or openings.

A permeation-resistant container that permits no more than 0.3 grams per gallon per day of hydrocarbon emissions.

Automatic closure, such as a nozzle that automatically springs to the closed position when the user is not pouring from the container

Childproof features as outlined by the Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act.

So go camping and have fun.

Bill

Usually travel with mine sealed right. I believe leaving the vent open, on those cans so equiped, will just cause you to loose gas as the gas will evaporate.

Newer can don't even come with a vent cap, the vent is built into the spout.

My only concern on a new can would be the sun building up pressure and the can exploding from no way to vent pressure. I know I have two of the new design cans and in the summer I have to manually vent them every so often or they start to turn round from excessive pressure build up, and those are stored in my garage. If it was just a short run to a gas station to fill them up and come back, my only concern is they would be properly secured in the back of the truck.

I do carry a 2 1/2 gallon steel fuel can that does not vent or have a safety fill spout. It has a cam action sealing filling point that has a flexible spout that clamps on to the can when pouring fuel.  Pressure build up does occur with temperature and elevation change. One needs to stop and release the pressure when it is real hot or at 5000 ft. in elevation. When left sealed at higher elevations - it can be harder to open at sea level.  Diesel in a can comes handy when one needs to change filters.

It is kind of like the old military Jerry Cans, but half the size. Always had one mounted in the 4 wheel drive trucks. When off roading - You just know you will have a leak when your miles from the closest fuel station.

Rich.

Back to he question. To vent or not to vent. Gas cans both metal and other materials are all over the spectrum Some are vented for ease of pouring and some are not (glug,glug). Some are have pouring spouts some don't. If you are comfortable with a vented, non vented can in your back seat or trunk of your car the is your choice but please don't park or drive too close to me.

My choice, in the bed of the truck strapped down and vented and non vented, I have both and sometime fill both.

Be safe and smart.

Herman

17 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Diesel in a can comes handy when one needs to change filters.

I guess I overthought this, I have a siphon device to drop into he fuel tank to fill my filters.

16 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Back to he question. To vent or not to vent. Gas cans both metal and other materials are all over the spectrum Some are vented for ease of pouring and some are not (glug,glug). Some are have pouring spouts some don't. If you are comfortable with a vented, non vented can in your back seat or trunk of your car the is your choice but please don't park or drive too close to me.

My choice, in the bed of the truck strapped down and vented and non vented, I have both and sometime fill both.

Be safe and smart.

Herman

good points!

We have 10, 5 gal. gas tanks and 5, 5 gal diesel cans at ranch...some vented, some not.  Gas station is 3 miles away and we leave ours stored in a pole barn.  Even in Texas Summer heat, Linda has had no problems, since she built the house in 1982/83!  Gas cans are RED, Diesel is YELLOW!

Carry a can of either, in any size, in coach or jeep?  No way! :wacko:

I use military grade cans and donot fill to rated capacity so I have more room for expansion

Carry on out side of passenger compartment and not vented in transit  

I have mounts on my jeep to carry them

and if I take one in  my pu  they

will be strapped to box not in the cab