huffypuff

Battery replacement not going so good.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:28 AM, manholt said:

Ray, relax, it probably is.  My wire harness for the awnings start at the step, goes up a channel by the door to ceiling then split. Each bundle has a inline fuse, one set goes to the main awning switch in the control panel for battery info. then I have a master control with 5 switches..one for each awning...then another switch in bedroom!  The other bundle runs in a channel under ceiling to the 2 other awnings, each has it's own switch!  The master control is for my remote!  Oh, they stopped production on my motors in 2006 and ??? no replacements are offered.  When my motor died in Mexico, in 2014...my choice was to replace the door awning or remove and live without.  $1,200+ Labor, no thanks, I don't go out in heavy rain!

Every day, I knock on wood, my other awnings are operational.

I may get a chance to look at it tomorrow and if I can't find the fuse I will try the old redneck trick. That is climb to the top of it and shake it to get the motor to jar the brushes to seat.  I turned the left rear slide motor with a wrench years ago and it hasn't failed since.    

Edited by huffypuff
Left is right, my other left

Didn't do much with the awning yet as we had other problems.  During Wednesday and Thursday we got caught in major downpours and heavy winds on i5 CA passes and a few things got damp. First the dash started beeping for no apparent reason. No dash light or gauges out of order. The beeping stopped before I can find a place to stop.

When I did stop I found rain water in the basement area and the bottom of refrigerator vent area. No problem with plumbing but the controls for the fridge is acting goofy.

It keeps showing 88 on the readout which is diagnosing mode that is dead.  The other two buttons quit working and only one time i got out diagnosing by shutting fridge off then back on after 5 minutes. It seems to run continually with fridge temp 33 and freezer 1 degrees f. I unplugged the 120 volt so it will stay on propane. 

Other problems we have is both ceilings vents fans blew fuses with the rainguard motor not working. Probably bad motor.

We are now at Quartzsite, AZ til the 25th. The big tent open yesterday so maybe vendors have ideas and parts.

One a good note, the new kitty Suzie is learning to travel.  If I can only get her to stop chasing a fly up the windshield while I'm driving.  Tuffy still hides in the backk when coach is moving. 

Ray,

I had the same beeping from the dash, it was come and go, all instrument were within normal range and no idiot lights. This went on for a couple of years, finally it started beeping and wouldn't stop except when engine was shut off.

After looking at the drawing I determined the only abnormal condition that would initiate an audibled alarm without a idiot light was a LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE.  The oil pressure sending unit has two elements, one a NO contact that closes on low oil pressure and the other the resistor that sends signal to oil pressure gauge. Changed sending all OK.

I purchased the sending unit from Fisherman Supply in Seattle, around $45.

Jim

I found the fuse actually a circuit breaker not tripped for the patio awning. I pressed the button and i heard a faint grunt. I worked it backand forth and the awning came loose and works fine now. 

The fridge display seems to be clearing up also.  

I just learned a lot just reading this post.  Thanks for sharing, glad things are working better.  

I hope to make it out to Quartzite some day, my oldest son just made a trip out west and stayed there for a couple weeks.  He called me and said “Dad, I think I found my people”.  I’m not quite sure what he meant, but I know he had a big time!

Patrick

19 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

I found the fuse actually a circuit breaker not tripped for the patio awning. I pressed the button and i heard a faint grunt. I worked it backand forth and the awning came loose and works fine now. 

The fridge display seems to be clearing up also.  

Puff, was it bound up or do you have a motor on its leg?

25 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Puff, was it bound up or do you have a motor on its leg?

Seem like it was bound up as the last time i used it was six months ago. After it unwape the metal cover it worked fine. 

That’s odd..but if it works now so be it!!

enjoy the 15 family members, hopefully the weather is holding out for all of you!

I got back to our California stop and the awning went out ok but didn't come all the way in.  I took the cover for the motor and  gear assembly and inside was full of bees and bees nests.  I clean out the mess and pulled apart the connection and put them back together.  Then I ran it out and in a few times and work fine.  I replace the six # 8 screws with new.  When i had to work the awning back and forth to come loose the gears was cutting through honeycomb. 😃

6 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I got back to our California stop and the awning went out ok but didn't come all the way in.  I took the cover for the motor and  gear assembly and inside was full of bees and bees nests.  I clean out the mess and pulled apart the connection and put them back together.  Then I ran it out and in a few times and work fine.  I replace the six # 8 screws with new.  When i had to work the awning back and forth to come loose the gears was cutting through honeycomb. 😃

:blink:, that’s crazy!! Glad you figured it out before the motor was ruined!

The bees came back today and I had to hit them with spay.  So far the awning still works.  I had it in and out a couple of times today.  

On 12/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, huffypuff said:

I decided to replace the house batteries because they are 6 years old and we will be dry camping in Quartzites, AZ the last week of January.  Everything worked before removing the batteries yesterday or when last parked a few months ago.  When I went to install the new batteries today I noticed the front steps was only about 3/4 on the way out.  Odd I thought as how they could move without battery power.   I cut all power to the batteries before disconnecting them and reinstall the same as the old ones with clean cables. 

I got four 6 volts GC2 types of about 210 amp hours batteries.  They are wired in series and parallel to make 12 volts and about 420 amp hours with temperature sensor.  The batteries  I got from batteries plus bulbs was in stock but dated 09/18 which makes them 3 months old.  I didn't expect that to be a problem and the fact that each battery was about 10 oz low which I added distilled water.  When I got it all install I turned on the main switch and it had only 11.6 Volts.  I plugged in shore power and the inverter/charger started charging at a rate of 15.1 volts and 85 amps bulk charge.  I went through setup and made sure it's set to  400 or less and flooded batteries.  I also set the search watts to 10 watts which has something to do with taking out of sleep mode.  I'm not sure of the setting but choices are 3 watts to 50 watts.  If someone know a best setting let me know.  After charging a few hours I check on it and now down to 13.9 volts 35 amp float charge.  I hope to see better after charging overnight.  

The front step did not turn back on and neither did the patio awning.  The CO detector was flashing orange  but turn to solid green when I checked for propane flow at the stove.  I turned on the ignition, open and closed the door flip the dash switch to reset the steps but nothing.  Tomorrow I will try to reset it direct at the step motor as owners manual refers to sensor and fuses.  One for the motor 25 amp and another for the sensors 7.5 amps.   I gotta get that fixed as can't go anywhere with steps down.  

Puff,

Did we get this issue cleared up? The topic seem to have vered way off course.

Herman

Herman, his awning had a beehive caught up inside causing the awning problem that was thought to be all electrical problems after a battery replacement. That’s definitely a new one for the books!

Hope he got some honey!  

Up to you Herman!  

IMHO, It should be left open, until all of Ray's electrical problems have been tracked down...since it started with batteries replacement.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Puff,

Did we get this issue cleared up? The topic seem to have vered way off course.

Herman

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Herman, his awning had a beehive caught up inside causing the awning problem that was thought to be all electrical problems after a battery replacement. That’s definitely a new one for the books!

After I changed the house batteries I noticed lot of electrical problems,  Electric step quit working as well as the awnings.  I fixed the step before leaving on the trip with the awning coming later,  Lucky for me it was just yellow jackets and I took the motor cover off to evict them.  While on the trip I also found the fantastic fan with rain guard lift motor not working.  That required a new lift motor and is also fixed.  The house batteries are doing fine as  we dry camped almost a week with the heater running overnight at times and still had plenty of power to start the generator in the morning.   

13 minutes ago, manholt said:

Hope he got some honey!  

Up to you Herman!  

IMHO, It should be left open, until all of Ray's electrical problems have been tracked down...since it started with batteries replacement.

No honey but cause bad wire connection.  

I've been following your thread off and on, what were the individual hydrometer test results for each battery cell? It's virtually impossible to accurately know when they are all connected.

re: the steps, the Kwikee service manual may be helpful: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/kwikee_svc_manual.pdf

Also, this troubleshooting video may also help: https://vimeo.com/45602427

On 1/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, RayIN said:

I've been following your thread off and on, what were the individual hydrometer test results for each battery cell? It's virtually impossible to accurately know when they are all connected.

re: the steps, the Kwikee service manual may be helpful: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/kwikee_svc_manual.pdf

Also, this troubleshooting video may also help: https://vimeo.com/45602427

The hydrometer readings was fine as well as test of each battery.  The new batteries just needed time to equalized to each other and get back to snuff after a couple of months of shelf life.  The standby charging rate now is 13.6 volts at enough amps we are using everyday.  The batteries done great at Quartzsite dry camping for a week.  

The steps had a bad motor and a bad ground that is activated by the door switch.  The controller was replaced because someone had butched the wiring on it.  The steps works great now.   

We came to Desert Hot springs, Palm Springs area to enjoy dry warm weather and I never seen so much rain and cold wind.  Record  rainfall in 75 years and we had to be here to witness it.  Today is finally a good day so I decided to detail the coach.  I was attacked by a lone bee looking for the queen I chased off a while back.  Glad she decided not to live in the awning anymore.  

I run my big awning out, several times a year for inspection, cleaning and maintenance...Also apply some low pressure bug killer inside awning cover...no bees, wasps, hornets, etc taking a trip with me! :lol:

I hear you but where I park at home there isn't enough room to put the awning out without hitting the garage. An occasional shot of bee spray will hopefully keep them away. 

I be darned that the awning quit on me again,  This time with it all the way out.  I had to use the power probe and jump the terminals topside to bring it in.  Found a bad ground as I left a jumper ground on it from the battery and was able to bring it in by the switch.  The wires goes in the wall with no ideal where the ground is.  I wonder if the same place as the step door switch?