Sign in to follow this  
elizabethmeyer

Suburban furnace blows out when driving

My rear Suburban furnace blows out when I drive. My mid-cabin furnace works fine when I'm driving. The only difference that I can see is that the mid-cabin intake and exhaust vents are vertical and the rear furnace vents are horizontal. I'm pretty sure on my unit the rear heats the wet bay so I would like it to work. One difference that I just thought of is that the mid-cabin may be a few more BTU. 

I know that Suburban doesn't recommend this use and I've read that there may some states that don't allow it. 

I want it to work.

Mark (aka Elizabeth, the true forum member)

I purchased the coach 1.5 years ago but never tried driving with the furnace on until this fall. It happens every time from what I can tell. Just went on a short trip today at a max speed of 45 and it was off when I arrived at my location but nowhere near it's setting of 68. I'm assuming it is the outside wind but as I'm sitting here typing I can't say for certain. Could be other reasons for shutting down. When I get to where I'm going I just flip the switch to off and then back on and it starts up immediately. 

You might want to check the intake and exhaust passages to make sure that there are no restrictions that could alter the air flow. Just open the furnace from the outside by removing the two large slotted screws.  The air passages will remain stationary. It's not unusual for critters to build nests in them when you rv is stores.  Just use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to clean the passages.

JIm