RaySowers

Use of Jacks

I am a new motorhome owner. I have been trying to find some indication of how long you should leave your RV leveled on its jacks. Does the length of time matter?

37 minutes ago, RaySowers said:

I am a new motorhome owner. I have been trying to find some indication of how long you should leave your RV leveled on its jacks. Does the length of time matter?

Ray, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The length of time the Coach is leveled is not the real issue. One needs to clean and lubricate the cylinders if you have a hydraulic leveling system it needs to be lubricated about every 1 to two months in dry areas  - A salt water environment will require lubricating and cleaning every month.

Rich.

6 hours ago, RaySowers said:

Ray, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new motorhome. If you put the information about your coach in your signature it will help to get better answers in the future. 

Ray is right on the money with his advise so I don't need to repeat it.😉

Bill

Welcome!

If your coach is diesel, it needs to be taken out (if possible, depending on where you live) and driven for about 50 miles, every 2 months (makes no difference if your in a garage or outside).  You also, should turn on your generator for a couple of hours each month and bring it up to full load. :)

If it's a gas coach, then you can skip step one!

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Welcome!

If your coach is diesel, it needs to be taken out (if possible, depending on where you live) and driven for about 50 miles, every 2 months (makes no difference if your in a garage or outside).  You also, should turn on your generator for a couple of hours each month and bring it up to full load. :)

If it's a gas coach, then you can skip step one!

Good advice for gasoline engines as well. Machinery does best when used. Sitting still is not good for engines long term, and will lead to dried gaskets, seals, and other problems.

Ray, look at your jack cylinders there may be zerk fittings that need to be greased. It depends on what jacks /year you have. Check the manufacture for the proper grease.

Keeping the shafts clean and lubed protects the hydraulic seals in the jacks.

Bill

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but leveling jacks are not intended to be used as jack stands for working under the coach. Please read through the safety warnings in your manual about properly supporting the coach when you are under it doing maintenance, especially if you are doing maintenance work on the leveling jacks themselves.

Here's a piece of the warning from HWH:

WARNING:  BLOCK FRAME AND TIRES SECURELY BEFORE CRAWLING UNDER VEHICLE.  DO NOT USE LEVELING JACKS OR AIR SUSPENSION TO SUPPORT VEHICLE WHILE UNDER VEHICLE OR CHANGING TIRES. VEHICLE MAY DROP AND/OR MOVE FORWARD OR BACKWARD WITHOUT WARNING CAUSING INJURY OR DEATH.

There have been deaths over the years as a result of vehicles (coaches) falling as owners worked on them, so proper safety precautions are in order. I know that some will say they've worked for years under a motor home using the leveling jacks to hold it up, even changing tires using the jacks. Still not a good idea, especially given their propensity to fail from time to time.

A properly sized/rated jack stand placed according to the manual could save a life when working underneath the coach.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:08 PM, manholt said:

...If your coach is diesel, it needs to be taken out (if possible, depending on where you live) and driven for about 50 miles, every 2 months (makes no difference if your in a garage or outside).....

Or, fill it with fuel, add a stabilizer and a biocide and let it sit.  I had a diesel in a sailboat and did this for eight years, it sat from Sep to Apr, then started right up.

FIVE.  Did not know a DP Coach could sail...I found out this last weekend, they don't float. :rolleyes:  Big difference between Sail/Motor Boat and Motor Home!  The Coach needs to get to temperature in order to lubricate the engine parts, seals and bushings.  Run hot coolant thru the system and exercise the transmission!   

You do (I do) the same thing with the Generator!  Exercise is the name of the game!