Sign in to follow this  
dbenoit

Inflatable boats in MH

Anyone carry one around in their RV? I am thinking about it. I once saw a small outboard mounted

on a rear ladder bracket for transport. Maybe around 8 ft long with a 4-10 hp.

We do have room to store it. We do have a 21' Whaler but I can't pull that with the MH nor would I back it down a ramp.

David

Others are doing it...why not you? I would place the motor in the toad or bay...you don't want it to walk!  Why not a elect trolling motor?

David you are correct ( nor would I back it down a ramp.) However Lots of folk do tow a boat and have a receiver mounted on the front of their coach and will park the boat reverse the MH and then push the boat down the ramp. this leaves the drive tires at the rear and not in the water. We had a picture back a year or so that showed only the top of a MH in the lake. It was funny, sad, but still funny.

Hope you can find the boat and motor you can fish from. So it won't be a Tall tale:D, send us some pictures of what you catch.

Herman

I'm searching for a used inflatable now with like a 3-5 hp outboard. They ain't cheap.

Then I need approval from my 1st mate, she always tries to be captain.

I was looking at those. I need to find someone who has one around here to make sure it fits into one of the compartments before I buy one. A second option is about modifying

a hitch to hold a small skiff standing up. I will not be towing the Whaler with the MH. If we have the toad I can just load it on the roof of that.

Fishing from shore stinks especially when you have a nice boat sitting in the driveway.

That depends on what your fishing for.  Fresh or salt, deep water fish or Flounder.  Fly fishing, light or heavy tackle.  Live bait, artificial or cheese!

I'd be using it in both fresh and salt water (bay). Most likely trolling, casting or jigging. Medium tackle. Chunk bait if not lures.

Hmmm...cheese.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:44 PM, hermanmullins said:

David you are correct ( nor would I back it down a ramp.) However Lots of folk do tow a boat and have a receiver mounted on the front of their coach and will park the boat reverse the MH and then push the boat down the ramp. this leaves the drive tires at the rear and not in the water. We had a picture back a year or so that showed only the top of a MH in the lake. It was funny, sad, but still funny.

Hope you can find the boat and motor you can fish from. So it won't be a Tall tale:D, send us some pictures of what you catch.

Herman

How not to back your boat into the lake  https://www.12newsnow.com/article/sports/dog-puts-fishermans-rv-in-reverse-backs-it-into-lake-sam-rayburn/502-6b77c26f-bfe4-430d-8bf5-22b94b18dd6a

We enjoy river rafting and bring along one or two inflatables when we can. One is a 14 ft raft that I put a 3.5 hp motor on the back, the other is a 2 person kayak.  they are both made by Aire.  

On 3/12/2019 at 12:40 AM, grttmz said:

We enjoy river rafting and bring along one or two inflatables when we can. One is a 14 ft raft that I put a 3.5 hp motor on the back, the other is a 2 person kayak.  they are both made by Aire.  

Welcome! So do carry the 14' not inflated in your RV? How about the motor? I've seen them mounted on the rear ladder on a bracket.

We carry the rafts deflated and rolled up in othe cargo bays usually. We have also carried one in the back of the toad. If floating multiple times from the same campsite. We can put it on top of the toad inflated to carry to the water 

Made it. It doesn't look like I can put a small motor on those. I have to look into that in more detail.

I have opened my options up to a totally rigid boat as well. I can't seem to find the layout I need yet in an inflatable.

The inflatable would be my 1st choice, of course, I will need a motor. I can go with any HP motor. I don't "stroke it" anymore....lol. OARS!!!

None of us "Stroke" it anymore, H we're lucky if we can take care of DW ! :lol:  

The Aire 14'  raft, takes a 3.5 hp.  12' rib takes up to 10 hp...don't think over 3hp!  I would just use a 24/36v trolling motor!

I have caught, both SW & FW fish on cheese!  Works best with light tackle and barbless, small treble...single for most FW, like trout.

DB, if you are looking for almost kind of boat now, how about a 10 ft. aluminum jon boat, since they are light an upright hoist would be very simple to make to work on your receiver hitch.

Yes that option is open. If we have the toad it can go on it's roof, if not a custom receiver bracket would work.

I've seen them for kayaks. Just need to figure how to store the small outboard. This will be a winter project.

I'll build it myself. Design it in Pro E. Need to get the boat first, most likely used if it is rigid. Just me and

Gilligan (DW) so it doesn't need to be a barge. She has no idea who Gilligan is so it makes it fun if we are

in the Whaler. When she drives it I call her Mrs. Sulu "3/4 impluse power"

Boston Whaler, great blue water boat..very stable!  IMHO the other is a McKee.

If you get the Jon boat, you could build a cushioned box for motor, so it rides up right in bottom of boat, when traveling...a lockable lid, would keep it in place & out of sight.

I have seen pictures of your DW and she is no "Gilligan"!  She ever finds out, your dead meat...:lol:

Lucky for me she doesn't know who Gilligan is or I would be on a deserted island talking to a coconut head.

We were "field" camping at Hampton Beach this weekend and after a few margaritas I was looking at the back of the MH.

If I were to build some sort of rack for a Jon boat type it would be blocking my license plate and back up lights. I really can't go higher to clear them.

I might have to go back to the inflatable.

You can move the license plate, one side or below transom.  Even a temporary plate or strap for transom & License.  Why do you need back up lights in daytime, while traveling?

Yes. I have the license plate from the front that I don't use. As for the back up lights, I don't recall ever relying on them.

The one thing I like about the Jon boat style is more HP.

Actually would be pretty simple to build a Jon boat style, use a hitch extension, weld a six foot 2X2 tube vertical, then use 1.5X1.5 seven foot tube to slide inside for lowering when not needed, weld a motor mount onto the 2X2 tube at a convenient location, place a roller bar padded slightly wider than the boat sides. Use a 2000# electric winch with cable through the inside of the tube with a good pulley at the top, drill both tubes to allow a pin to hold up or down as needed. Don't know where your tag is located but a temporary location can be affixed at the end of the roller assembly with lights placed on each end to cover for any that time a boat is covering others. I'll try to draw it out and post when I have spare time. Of course you will want to have the boat bottom facing traffic, and this will allow for a place for the motor to ride going down the road, and since you used a hitch extension, simply put the hitch with ball, or tow bar in the extension for towing purposes still. I calculated the cost for parts, excluding welding (very minimal), less than $300.00.