Ch1ckad19

Pulls to the right

We have a 1994 Foretravel Grand Villa 240 36 ft.  It pulls to the right, and the steering column vibrates.  We have had new tires put on it and balanced, new king pin, and the track bar rebuilt with new bushings.  $4000 later we are at a loss and the shop we have it at says they can do not more.  Any ideas or thoughts.  Thank you in advance

ch1ckad

Ch1ckad19,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Pretty familiar with the U240-- sold our 1993 U240 with 170,000 miles on it.

With vibrations in the steering column, my first thought is out of round tire.  So have any good truck tire store check for  RUN-OUT. Also, check for play in the TORSILASTIC SHACKLES-- the metal part should be centered in the rubber.  If wallowed out, can allow for play/vibration.

For pulling, first thing I would do is swap the front tires-- left for right.  While wheels up, verify no brake pad drag.

As far as pull, raise the dash-- front end alignment specs are on the right side.  Caster on right side needs to be higher than left to compensate for crown in the road.

Have you checked RIDE HEIGHT?  That can also affect tracking.  From the horizontal area behind each wheel position to the ground should be 32-33".  Removing one of the 1/4" thick shims from in front of and behind a wheel position RAISES that wheel position 1/4".  So count number of shims at each wheel position to verify that you can achieve correct ride height.

Will be out of internet range for several days, but will check back when back in range.

Brett, you beat me to it.  Have a great sail & Happy Safe New Year!  Be nice to see a photo of Beach & Lobster on grill. :lol:

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Brett, you beat me to it.  Have a great sail & Happy Safe New Year!  Be nice to see a photo of Beach & Lobster on grill. :lol:

Lets keep this on track / about the OPs problems pulling to the right.

Bill

I was going to mention checking ride height, Brett beat me to that one. Not knowing what type wheels the OP has on coach, stud pilot, or hub pilot, I will add that a warped or bent wheel if hub pilot, or if stud pilot, a possibility of an improperly torqued wheel could cause the shaking sensation on the steering column. This is reason why he needs to rotate tire/wheel from left to right to see if the vibration moves with the wheel. If none of this helps, give my friend Bill Denton a call (http://powersteer.com/ ). I've known this guy for 30+ years and never known of a large truck that he could not resolve a front end issue with.