advsrmark

Plug up 15 AMP while in storage

I keep  my class A in a storage area and they recently added a power outlet for me to plug my coach in (YAY!) while in storage.

i usually turn all kill switches to off when storing.  My question is should I leave it plugged up the entire time and then if so, should l leave all my kill switches on?

My other thought is I could leave heat on low setting help prevent freeze.

My thought is go plug it up a few days before I would leave on a trip and let everything charge up.

What would you do?

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

When you find the settings/profile page, please add a little information about your coach so that we can better answer questions like this for you.

I've got mine parked for the winter months. Everything is off, with the exception of the battery chargers. A modern charger can be left on all the time and will keep your batteries in top shape.

Some of the newer coaches will have phantom electric draws all the time, even with switches in the 'off' position. Doesn't take too long for the batteries to drain down to the danger zone where damage is possible, so leaving the chargers on to maintain them is a good idea.

Assuming you're in a warm climate and/or you've winterized the plumbing, nothing else should need to be on.

25 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

When you find the settings/profile page, please add a little information about your coach so that we can better answer questions like this for you.

I've got mine parked for the winter months. Everything is off, with the exception of the battery chargers. A modern charger can be left on all the time and will keep your batteries in top shape.

Some of the newer coaches will have phantom electric draws all the time, even with switches in the 'off' position. Doesn't take too long for the batteries to drain down to the danger zone where damage is possible, so leaving the chargers on to maintain them is a good idea.

Assuming you're in a warm climate and/or you've winterized the plumbing, nothing else should need to be on.

I found the profile settings thanks!  Yes I have a constant draw on my coach.  Do you hook up a separate external battery charger to your house battery and then another to your chassis?

You should have a battery charger for your house batteries already onboard. Might be a converter/charger, might be an inverter/charger, or might be a stand-along charger. Not sure what coach you have, but if you post some more information I'm sure that someone with the same or similar coach can tell you more about it.

I have a built-in stand-alone house battery charger, and it's basically the only thing that I've got turned on right now. I've got a trickle charger incorporated into the system that keeps my chassis batteries topped off as well. If you don't already have something built into your setup you can easily get a small battery tender that clips onto the chassis battery posts to keep it fresh.

You'll see that many people add their coach make/model either to their profile or to their signature, as well as a name.

As Richard stated, would be nice if you included your unit information in you signature line. Always nice to reply to a proper configuration.

Different manufactures treat the charging of systems somewhat differently.  Winnebago has a Trik-l-charg system but it will only charge the batteries when both disconnects are in the ON position. So go figure, eh?  Also my last MH only had a 600 watt inverter and if the steps were left in the on position it would drain the batteries even if plugged in.

You can't go wrong with an automatic charger hooked up to your service batteries but you need to find out if you can charge service and house batteries at the same time.

Welcome!

Mine is all electric coach, so I have plenty of phantom draw...I have a trickle charger for my start batteries.  My house batteries are charged by my 50 amp shore power and I leave both my inverters on and turn nothing off.   If I only had 15 amp, then I would dial my inverters down to 2 amp a piece and only leave the residential fridge on. 

Not knowing, what make and model you have, it's difficult for us to give you suggestions! :)

Thanks all- sorry new to forum. American Coach 2013 Revolution.  My coach has charger/inverter so I will run a line and dial down to 15a.  It will float charge as needed.

Thanks for the help.  Heading out there to set it up.

Dial it down to 5 amps-- say's so, in your Owners Manual, suggest you read it cover to cover.  I know, it's boring, but it's the only way your going to know your coach! :)