TTRV

2002 cat 3126 Journey DL will not start

58 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Is that the long lost Keon Hayes'? Welcome back.

Bill

Shuuuu dont tell anyone! Especially that JLeamont GUY LOL!

Caterpillar tested the ECM today and it is dead as suspected, $80 for the test.  The good news is they gave me a 6 page printout of my ECM settings that were captured in 2017.   To come out to my RV 50 miles one way and replace and program with a new Caterpillar ECM is $4,598.  And that is after the core refund.  The two that helped me were very nice.  They didn't say it but pretty much agreed I should try the one in the other junker RV I mentioned.  They felt there may be some differences but no show stoppers.  My engine serial number is a CKM6123, the junker is 7AS76282.  Then I could drive it to them and the changes would be made to match my ECM configuration. 

Option 1 -- I will try the ECM out of the junker. 

In parallel I am googling for aftermarket, used whatever that would be willing to take the 6 pages of configuration and flash the ECM that I would purchase from them.

I feel CAT wanted to work with me however policy inhibits caterpillar to flash an ECM that is not in the vehicle.  Go figure.

It will be probably 4-5 days before I can get this accomplished.

15 minutes ago, TTRV said:

Caterpillar tested the ECM today and it is dead as suspected, $80 for the test.  The good news is they gave me a 6 page printout of my ECM settings that were captured in 2017.   To come out to my RV 50 miles one way and replace and program with a new Caterpillar ECM is $4,598.  And that is after the core refund.  The two that helped me were very nice.  They didn't say it but pretty much agreed I should try the one in the other junker RV I mentioned.  They felt there may be some differences but no show stoppers.  My engine serial number is a CKM6123, the junker is 7AS76282.  Then I could drive it to them and the changes would be made to match my ECM configuration. 

Option 1 -- I will try the ECM out of the junker. 

In parallel I am googling for aftermarket, used whatever that would be willing to take the 6 pages of configuration and flash the ECM that I would purchase from them.

I feel CAT wanted to work with me however policy inhibits caterpillar to flash an ECM that is not in the vehicle.  Go figure.

It will be probably 4-5 days before I can get this accomplished.

Sorry one last thing the superceded part number is 10R-3571.

TTRV, see if there is a place that you can mail yours to and have it repaired. Probably just the injector driver portion that has failed. Fairly common on CAT due to heat, couple that with an RV application and low air circulation around it to keep it cool and failures become more common. It would save you from any programming also.

Removed 1999 Junker ECM part# 157-3708-00, it was a little warped and looked like it may have been repaired in the past...  Installed in Winnie and it immediately started up.  All dash instrumentation working ok,  test drove, cruise, air brake,  shift points appear the same and power.  It was a knuckle buster to install for my brother and I.  

Not sure if I will take it now to CAT and have them modify the ECM to match my engine serial number,  mileage difference is only  16K more than winnie had , and then check settings.  What do you'll think? 

Appreciate the help in this matter.

Yes, ECM should be flashed with specs for YOUR engine.  A good time to make decisions on "pre-select" gear for exhaust brake.

Should not be over 30 minutes of actual labor time.  I would consider even one hour of labor a good investment.

Sir,

I have the six page printout of the flash settings for my ECM.  Do you know the parameter name for the setting you are referring to?  I can scan all six pages if this might help?  I did try the exhaust brake on my initial run and it executed I think as expected?

I am right now leaning toward the CAT review.   What pre-select gear do you feel it should be?

Thank-you

Tom

Two separate choices for exhaust brake with the Caterpillar 3126:

What gear it "shifts toward" when the brake is engaged-- this gear will appear in the shift pad window on single window units and in the left window on two window units.  2nd and 4th are popular choices.  My personal preference is 5th, as it allows more driver choices.  It is ideal for those long, not too steep grades where a lower gear would over-brake, but does require the driver to use the down arrow to select lower gears.  So, not as good for coming to a stop.  Strictly personal choice.

The other choice is whether the exhaust brake is in "manual mode" or "latch mode".  Most are set to manual-- when the throttle is closed and switch turned on, the exhaust brake comes on. the BIG negative is you can't coast! In latch mode (my preference) you leave the switch on.  It only comes on when the service brake is applied.  It stays on even if you have your foot off the service brake until you hit the throttle.

The only Caterpillar 3126 programming book I have is for 2005, so you will need to discuss these things with either Caterpillar Corp (877 777-3126) or with a Caterpillar dealer who will have specific info on your year model.

Thank-you for that advice.  Just an FYI,  a few options I see,  Exhaust Brake Switch = Installed,   Exhaust Brake Mode = Manual.  I like your ideas.  Appreciate the time.   I am going to have CAT check/flash any changes -- this week I hope.

If I understand what you are saying I will check that out this week.  That I should see the gear in the shift pad window when i switch on the exhaust brake.  And I know if my brake switch is on and I let off the accelerator it immediately engages -- I definitely would prefer the latch mode. :)

TTRV

Just to wrap up.  CAT Only changed what I would call cosmetic stuff,  serial numbers, basically engine serial and chassis. Maybe a few other things.  Most or all the options and values matched.  $258.00.

2001 3126 most current part # for the (ECM is 10R-3571) (2001 blown Part #192-7896-01 ) replaced by (1999 157-3708-00)

Symptoms   -- (engine won't fire up but will crank)  (While cranking RPM needle does not move)  (ALT gauge does not move)  (Through cruise control stick -- Cannot display Diagnostic codes)        Check ECM fuse or fuses   -- if they are good -- start kicking the tires. 🙂

CAT price for ECM $3,099.00 + programming plus plus plus,      truckecm.com programming included around $2,000.    Both carry a 1 year warranty.