rtinnman

Atwood water heater

I'm having problems with my Atwood water heater.  The propane side works fine, but the electric side doesn't.  I checked the element,it's ok.  Not sure what to do next.

bob

2013 Monaco Knight 

Bob - how did you check the element? Continuity testing or did you pull it and do a visual?

If you feel confident working around live 120v wiring, and if you have a test meter or 120v testing lamp, you can try the following.

Steps I would take are:

1. Breaker on
  2. Reset button is pushed all the way in (located inside the maintenance panel of the water heater near the element/thermostat)
  3. 120v to thermostat (the one mounted on the water heater and which sends power to the element)
  4. 120v to element when water is cold

The 120v side of these things don't have a lot of moving parts. If the breaker is on, 120v goes to the thermostat. If the water is cold enough the thermostat sends power to the element.

If you've had a situation where something went wrong (ie: power on but water heater empty, or thermostat failed in the 'on' position) the reset button will pop and cut power to the element.

This should help you narrow down where the problem is. Good thing is that most parts you'll need are easy to get hold of and easy to replace. Hopefully it's just a tripped breaker or a popped reset button.

Have you checked to be sure that you have the 120 AC switch on and the 12v (propane0 selector off.  At least that's the way they are labeled on my coach.

Jim