ocdjane

1990 Beaver Contessa

Anyone have any experience replacing rear air springs on one of these? Gillig chassis with 2 air bags, 1 on each side. Got the new bags from Gillig. My problem is removing the air line and attachments from inside the frame rail. There is just no room to get in there to remove the air line, fittings and attaching nut. I would be grateful for any insight on how this is accomplished. 

ocdjane, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Sure there are some members that can offer some help !

As a heads up - your post most likely will get moved to the Forum Chassis thread at some point !

No big deal, just wanted you to have a heads up - that it did not just disappear. You got your question asked and the members will offer some information.

Rich.

E9A7F5AA-63D5-4806-9804-A573F136CF20.thumb.jpeg.f8201a306e98fffccecab0e52bddd68e.jpegThanks Rich. 

Hope this picture comes through ok. I’m not very computer savy.

Can’t figure out how to attach this to my original post!

I managed to get the brass fitting out, now the nut is down in a hole, can’t find a tool that will go in there an have enough room to turn it.

This has got to be one of the worst jobs I have ever encountered.

To modify your OP, just go back there and click on edit, you can then attach a file or modify as needed.

I just went through that same job on my MCI coach 5 months ago, replacing all 6 on the rear. I used mirrors and also found that one of the close quarter cameras to be very useful. also there is a crowfoot flare nut tool for your ratchet tool to be very helpful. https://www.protorquetools.com/1-4-7-williams-1-2-drive-crowfoot-wrench-flare-nut-12-pt/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=2814&utm_campaign=CPCS - Shopping - NB&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Desktop&utm_term=4576854590515288&msclkid=3c9af7654a191c62a7abab56eb4f889b, the website is for illustrative purposes only. My wife has much smaller hands than I so I did call on her several times.

I might add, that you need to be very careful working under that or any coach, make sure that appropriate blocking and jack stands are in place before crawling under there.

ocdjane, Good Picture. 

I managed to get the brass fitting out, now the nut is down in a hole, can’t find a tool that will go in there an have enough room to turn it.

This is a very flexible pickup magnet that works in allot a places because it is so small. Will not brake the bank, but it is not real durable.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/v8-tools-3826-supercharged-magnetic-pick-up-tool-2-2-lb-to-3-3-lb-capacity-magnets-extends-to-22-pocket-clip/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8a44Mfc3wIVwkoNCh2RUQv7EAQYAiABEgLLFvD_BwE

Good luck.

Rich.

7 hours ago, ocdjane said:

E9A7F5AA-63D5-4806-9804-A573F136CF20.thumb.jpeg.f8201a306e98fffccecab0e52bddd68e.jpegThanks Rich. 

Hope this picture comes through ok. I’m not very computer savy.

Can’t figure out how to attach this to my original post!

This has got to be one of the worst jobs I have ever encountered.

More information please. Is that the air bag under that plate? If it is the airbag under the plate what is holding it on on the bottom of the plate and at the bottom of the airbag.

I would like to see the top of the fitting and a shot looking down into the plate. What attaches to the fitting at the top of the picture? 

6 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

is a crowfoot flare nut tool for your ratchet tool to be very helpful.

That one may be to "deep" to fit under the brass "T" fitting in the picture. That is why I would like more pictures. That fitting in the hole may not have flats. 

It is possible the key is what the line that goes up in the picture is (flexible or rigid) and if it is strait enough to take it loose at the top (outher end) and unscrew the whole fitting and line together. That would only take a open end wrench.

Bill

How many bolts are on top of that air bag? If that is a nut below the brass fitting, it looks as though the hole that it is down in is just an opening large enough for the nut to just be sitting through. Most of those type flanges are only 1/4 inch thick, and the nut may be down against the top of the air bag. Do you already have the replacement air bags so that you can see how it is plumbed? I'll attach a picture of my bag in the AM, too dark to take a picture tonight. By the way, I wound up using a smoke wrench (torch) to remove all the bolts in the end.