dbenoit

Cabin Fever "2019"

The cold weather and snow can stay up north!   Houston area is expecting its annual January "hard freeze" this weekend with low temps in the mid-20's (note to self to drain foot valve on toilet that I didn't do last January!).   For Valentines weekend the wife and I will be at La Hacienda RV Resort on Lake Travis to enjoy a nice Valentine's Day dinner in Austin then enjoy the Texas Wine Lover's Festival and various wineries on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Should be warm enough to site outside enjoy sunsets over Lake Travis with a good glass of wine.

Then sadly bad to work.   Someday retirement will come (?).

Another Texan bragging about their weather.😎..........lol.

I used to hang at Lake Travis in the 70's. Hippie Hollow! Is that still there? 

The only whine I'll be having is from the DW. 

2 hours ago, fagnaml said:

The cold weather and snow can stay up north!  

Not sure that's going to happen...

It's been an odd year as we watch wave after wave of snow and ice scoot south of us and drop lots of white stuff in places that are normally much warmer than us.

Just be thankfull it's not dropping on you!  Last 2 winters have been wetter and colder in Texas than Normal.  It's due to El Ninjo again.  

Mike, I will only get half of that Arctic Blast on Sunday....As I enjoy a cold beer, Monday pm, about 400 miles South of Galveston, I'll think off all of you!

Sissy storm. 8" of snow and 2" of sleet. Temp. is 2 deg. My tractor snapped the tie rod end on the steering yesterday. Driveway is a mess.

Looked at covered MH from slider and went into a dream. Poof...there goes that dream, DW says go shovel....

Wanted to leave Colorado today for Arizona and 70 degree weather, but instead will leave Wednesday after the snow falls tonight and tomorrow morning...coach is nearly ready to roll. It is in the 50s as far North as Raton, New Mexico. Last year we went over Raton Pass in 3 inches of slush and 20 degrees. It is the last pass out of Colorado into New Mexico. 

On 1/8/2019 at 8:17 AM, IanBullock said:

It was a balmy -4 here overnight yesterday.  Heading south in a few weeks, wish I already had!

Now I don't feel so bad with the -1°F we had here in S. Indiana, gonna have a heat wave Tuesday @ 40°  and freezing rain. Now where did I leave my Tequila and limes? I might take them to the MH, fire up the furnace and party hard.  Wait, may have to stay in the house, the snow shovels are in the MH garage.

70 degrees and sunny here in Rockport Tx, a beautiful day! -9 back home in Michigan. There is something to this winter Texan thing.

3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

70 degrees and sunny here in Rockport Tx, a beautiful day! -9 back home in Michigan. There is something to this winter Texan thing.

I know yo miss being back home with the -30 windchill blowing snow in your face while you fight the snow blower.🤩

Bill

4 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I know yo miss being back home with the -30 windchill blowing snow in your face while you fight the snow blower.🤩

Bill

I unknowingly entertained my wife Sunday afternoon. We had gotten 6" of powder snow Sat through Sunday morning. I got the bright idea of using my commercial leaf blower to clear the sidewalks, at times snow was so thick I couldn't see anything; meanwhile DW said she was laughing so hard she peed herself, she couldn't see me in the snow cloud.

I get cold just reading posts about cold. Stop it anytime.

We have a chill spell right now. it is almost 9 a.m. and the temp is 41˚. Today and tomorrow will be chilly but NO SNOW. Then it warms up into the high 50's and low 60's.

As far as I'm concerned, below 70˚ is freezing.

I'm going to try and talk DW into warmer climes next year.

We are Summer Birds, we leave Texas towards end of may and return around October to beat the heat.

All I do is keep making this cabin fever worse. I just called and made a service appointment for the MH in April.

FR cheap repair for a recall, inspection sticker and fill the propane tank. 

I like talking about the cold so others will talk about the warm or close to warm. Sort of a cabin fever remedy.

48 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

I like talking about the cold so others will talk about the warm or close to warm. Sort of a cabin fever remedy.

That's what I like about Alabama, if you don't like the weather today, just wait till tomorrow, it will change.:o

3 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

That's what I like about Alabama, if you don't like the weather today, just wait till tomorrow, it will change.:o

We say the same thing in Michigan, it goes from bad to worse in the winter!

Roland --

From my perspective because of the annual threat of tropical storms / hurricanes, the Texas Gulf Coast is a great place to visit but not live permanently.   My choice for Texas living any time of the year would be the Texas Hill Country. 

3 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

Roland --

From my perspective because of the annual threat of tropical storms / hurricanes, the Texas Gulf Coast is a great place to visit but not live permanently.   My choice for Texas living any time of the year would be the Texas Hill Country. 

Mike, what Counties/towns would be in the Hill Country?

Roland --

The number of cities in the Hill Country is extensive, but here are the of the places my wife and I have ventured and RV parks we've used:

Kerrville, TX  --> Buckhorn Lakes RV Resort  (somewhat defines the western edge of the Hill Country)

Fredericksburg, TX -->  Texas Wine Country Jellystone Park (center of the Hill Country)

Marble Fall, TX --> Sunset Point RV Park on Lake LBJ

Lake Travis (northwest of Austin) --> La Hacienda RV Resort

Castroville, TX (west of San Antonio) --> Alsatian RV Resort

Since my wife and I still have full time careers, our trips to the Hill Country are long, four day weekends so we stay at the nicer, roomier, and yes more expensive RV resorts/parks.    All of these cities / RV resorts have lots to offer and adventures (wine tasting, beer tasting, distillery tours, antique shopping, great dining, entertainment, off-road "park" for my Jeep, etc.) are within 35 miles (+/-) one way or the other from each city.

We're headed to La Hacienda RV Resort for Valentine's Day weekend to enjoy a nice dinner at the Vince Young Steakhouse in Austin on Valentine's Day evening and then enjoy the Wine Lover's Celebration along the Texas Wine Trail the remainder of the weekend --> https://texaswinetrail.com/events/wine-lovers-celebration/

Thanks Mike, we did spend a few days in Fredericksburg last year and we plan to spend more time in that area this year on our way home to Michigan. Storms are a concern but in the Midwest we have the threat of tornadoes and flooding to put up with. I guess anywhere you look there are negatives as well as positives.