dbenoit

Cabin Fever "2019"

Well it's tomorrow and its supposed to be in the high 50's. This weather is very weird in New England.

I think mother nature is messing with me.

Here are the Cities In The Texas Hill Country

When i retired in 1984 from the military I had married a Texan and her parents lived here in Texas City. DW was born in Corpus. I was born in Central Mass. (I lived there for 18 years but it was an accident of birth.) I did not want any part of snow and cold so decided to settle down in Texas.  We both worked and put up with the Texas Summers, hurricanes, storms, etc. Since another retirement in 2007 we started traveling again after several hiatus years.  We now escape the heat and the hurricanes by traveling during the summer months to more moderate climes.

The coastal areas and hill country areas have temperatures during the summer in the 90's with many in the upper 90's. The coastal areas have much more humidity and the only saving grace is going from house to AC Car to AC building.   Doing anything outside in the Summertime will always result in soaking clothes with sweat. I'd much rather sweat than freeze. One eventually becomes acclimatized to the Summer heat and knows when to stop and rest with plenty of water. 

The lows during the winter along the Gulf Coast is similar in averages to many of the Hill Country areas. If I had to do it all over again and circumstances permitted I would choose the Hill Country with vacations along the Gulf Coast.

Travel to the many areas of Texas during the different seasons and make a decision on which area you would be more comfortable in.

Today, Johnson City, TX, and for the next 10 days, has better weather than we do here on the coast.

Wayne, it always seems to be windy here on the coast. Is it windy in the summer also? In Michigan we have about 1 month of high 80-90+ with very high humidity, like going out in a wet blanket. We still manage to play golf in early am. 

Is the hill country drier? Are housing costs lower in hill country or similar to coastal area?

The wind does not blow in August and trust me, you don't want to be here then. Too hot.

I love the game of golf. Unfortunately  two acl reconstructions, two rotator cuff repairs and 1 knee replacement has kept me from the game since about 2007.  Didn't matter the temperature except for my 1 rule. If it was 40 degrees or below I did not play golf.  I play 4 to 5 and sometimes more games a week and on weekends sometimes 36 holes.  Had my handicap down to a 10 with a typical 11 and once a 9.  Didn't matter the high temperatures. Played without a glove and just kept a towel handy to dry the hands with.  Used non-slip grips (corded)

The Hill Country has rivers and lakes so you are going to have humidity. Maybe not as much as down here on the coast but it will still be there.

Different areas of the Hill Country are going to have the varying prices on housing. There will be a wide spread range of costs. You can find houses that are inexpensive and then those that are half a mil or more.  I like using Zillow.com when looking at housing. It populates the map and shows the price of the house displayed on the map. That way one can see an easy representation of what they can afford. Take San Marcos for example, a rapidly growing area, you can find houses from $100k (fixer upper) or less and on upward.  You can easily find something in your price range but then have to determine if it is what you really want.

p.s., that wind keeps us warm in the winter when blowing from the Southwest and cool in the summer from sweat evaporation.  One thing is for sure. If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Different areas of the Hill Country are going to have the varying prices on housing.

Wayne, isn't this your house for sale in Fredericksburg? 

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fredericksburg-TX/pmf,pf_pt/231730587_zpid/55679_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/31.337217,-97.286682,29.384568,-101.46698_rect/7_zm/

You might be able to store your RV in the barn.

Bill

Thanks all, we are off to Mission Tx tomorrow for a month. We really enjoyed Galveston and Corpus Christi.

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Overnight temps of -24 predicted for Tuesday & Wednesday nights.

When does spring start??

:o sounds like—-  NOT SOON ENOUGH! :lol:

Not soon enough indeed. This is colder than we've had in many years, and up till this week the winter has actually been pretty mild.

I went out to NAPA today for some fresh test strips just to confirm that the antifreeze was at the right ratio to protect the bus. Strips show somewhere between -34 and -60, so I'm guessing I'm good for now.

Time for an adult beverage while we wait for the worst to be over.

30 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Well, it is 11:30 ish and the outside temp is 60˚. I sure wish winter would end.👺

Ok...ok don’t rub it in :lol:. I was outside working on a diesel van and it was 34!

38 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Ok...ok don’t rub it in :lol:. I was outside working on a diesel van and it was 34!

It was 34? Above zero? You mean spring has sprung in your area already?

11 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

It was 34? Above zero? You mean spring has sprung in your area already?

YUP, 34 above and no sign of spring yet!

Bill, you were right about the rv park in Mission. We went there and I looked at the site and told them no way, my mh would not fit. They gave me a full refund. We went to the place you recommended and they gave me a deal for first timer of 295 for a month plus electric. Park is less than 50% occupied, older but very serviceable. We are in a row with no one within 10 sites either way.

11 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Well, it is 11:30 ish and the outside temp is 60˚. I sure wish winter would end.👺

Wayne, you're invited to a cook-out at my house this coming Wed., I put the liner in my OD field jacket - so bring a jacket, the high is supposed to be 2°F; up from the low early Wed. morning of -10°. You might want to leave early, as it's ~1,300 miles to S. Indiana. 😎 I'll try to notify you if the 20# LP cylinder will not vaporize fast enough to keep the grill burning.

OH, I do have a place to park a 45' MH W/ 30A electric beside the house.

We are doing all of our MH planning from spring thru fall. I got the fever so bad I might have to jump into the ocean for a rapid cool down. Water temp is

about 37 deg F. I think that should do it.

Ray, Today is cold, about 45˚ but after today the temps go into the low 70's. No way would I come up there to cook in your temperatures.

There are lots of campgrounds in this area and most a reasonably priced.  You can find a CG for under $500 a month, FHU included.  Come on down and escape that terrible climate.

BTW, we spent 5 weeks in Bremen, IN. How close are you to there?

6 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Today is cold, about 45˚

That's not cold - that's a warm spring day.

Overnight tomorrow is supposed to get to -29F.

That's cold!

55 at noon, going to high 50’s today and back to 70’s for rest of week in RGV. Only problem is 30+mph wind, makes hitting golf shots a challenge.