aa9zz

Looking for Florida Gulf Coast Area February

I'm not ready to snowbird yet but I would like to spend two weeks on or near the mid to southern Florida gulf coast. I Living in Southern Indiana I have only spent time in Northern Florida such a Panama City and even Gulf Shores, AL. I would like to think about snowbirding sometime soon and would like to look around.

Can anyone suggest campgrounds Tampa to south of Ft. Meyers, maybe for a week each to visit to see what it would be like? Beachfront is not important. I would even consider inland as long as I could easily drive for a half hour or less to get there.

Traveling with me would be my wife and our 8 pound dachshund. We have a Class A 30 foot Newmar 30 amp.

Not knowing the area and not being able to drive there or a weekend to look around I'd like some suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

http://lakecityrvresort.com/ This a very nice campground to stay at to start your stay, then move further south to other RV parks. It is located 60 miles west of Jacksonville and 40 miles north of Gainesville, there are several at or near Ocala which are 50 miles north of Tampa, after that good luck. We have kin at Lake City and stay at the one I mentioned and really like the management and sites there. Welcome to the forum, happy tales and trails.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

I am a retired teacher and don't have a lot of money for campsites but I would like to look into new areas. I was born and lived in Orlando until the 4th grade but that before Disney. We would like to relocate Tamps south. The Bonita Springs area would be idea but only if affordable. Anyone in a park along the way that has an extra site available?

Phil and Linda Smith

Look at Collier Seminole State Park 15 miles South of Fort Myers. It was very nice stayed there last March and will again this year. Call soo as space limited

aa9zz. Welcome!

Call for reservation now!  Strawberry Festival in Plant City, is in mid Feb.  It's a very Big & Popular Festival, off I-4 East of Sheffner, FL. or about 50 miles E of Tampa!

Send fzeuner a PM, he lives in Lakeland, a member of FMCA and a great guy, I bet that he can offer some good suggestions. If you don't know how, just click on the envelope at the top of the page, click on compose and enter his FMCA name, enter subject then fire away.

FHU RV parks will be fully-booked, but phone ahead for late cancellations. If you are agreeable to camping with only water and electric for 2 weeks, there are several state parks (w/dump stations) along the SW gulf coast. http://www.floridaparks.com/floridastateparks/south_west/areafortmyers.html They are in a reservation system, which means calling ahead for them too, and will be the lowest cost vs commercial" RV Resorts."