SueCanDo

pooled water around driver's seat: 2000 Discovery

Hi all - during a particularly heavy rain this week, I just found two absolutely soaked towels between the driver's seat and the slide out on my 2000 Fleetwood Class A. I have been using additional towels and a heater to try and dry it out, but appears to still be pooling from somewhere? Roof is fine, slide cover is in tack (pulled in and dumped any pooled water on it), seals appear to be properly engaged.  Any other suggestions?  Many thanks!

1 hour ago, SueCanDo said:

Hi all - during a particularly heavy rain this week, I just found two absolutely soaked towels between the driver's seat and the slide out on my 2000 Fleetwood Class A. I have been using additional towels and a heater to try and dry it out, but appears to still be pooling from somewhere? Roof is fine, slide cover is in tack (pulled in and dumped any pooled water on it), seals appear to be properly engaged.  Any other suggestions?  Many thanks!

Sue, Welcome to the Forum !

From your description it sounds like the slide was out> That being the case the water is leaking around the seal(s) that should seal it when open. There are seals that are installed to keep water out when the slides are in.

The cover is called a topper - meant more to reduce leaves and other debris from building up on the top of the slide.

You can start by cleaning the vertical seals at both ends of the slide, using silicon on a clean rage or paper towels, at the same time clean and wax the side walls (from top to bottom) will require a ladder !

Second the slide top needs to be cleaned also and the is a seal running the entire length of the top. Note- because it is difficult to clean when the slide is out. It is much easier to clean when the slide is in and the seal is more excess-able. I use a 2 step, fold able step ladder to stand on and good ones are very stable. Starting with the slide all the way in you might find it easier to move the slide out in steps. Wash the top with the same soup you use fore the exterior - sponge and water. wax the top and unless one of the seals is damaged that process should stop the leak.

Key is to do the job once a year in most cases.

Rich.

SueCanDo, from experience, make sure your wiper seals are flipping out. On our coach if they do not flip outwards the water will be all over the floor. I carry a homemade tool to manually flip them outwards. After two years of that I became tired of manually doing that and added vinyl trim so when the slides go out they pass under the seals and flip them out automatically. But you can believe I walk around and look at them just to be sure they are seated outwards. 

SueCanDo.

Where the Topper attaches to the coach, make sure there are no visible gaps.  If here is, go get a tube of Silicon caulking and apply straight down the length off topper!  Happend  on my coach last year, after all my toppers where replaced, I had Niagara Falls during rain...now I'm dry and we have had some, cold Frog stranglers, in the past 2 weeks! 8 inches +.

Happy 2019

11 hours ago, SueCanDo said:

Lots of good suggestions. I have found that sometimes when you bring the slide in and it stops it will, "relax a little" (for want of a better term) and not be tight against the seals. Try bumping the slide in a couple of times and see if it stayes tight against the seals. I have had this happen both going in and out.

You might try a carpet shampooer or wet vac to pull the excess water out of the carpet and pad. 

Bill

EDITED to correct my error of safe operating limits, I apologize- I had them reversed. REF:pg 32 of service manual.

A quick N dirty fix is to raise the opposite side from that slide just enough so water cannot flow into the seals. The safe operating limits for the frig being level is 6° front to back, and 3°side -to side, as looking at the frig door. When you convert that to inches per foot you realize how  much out of level the coach will be, the rule of thumb is, if you are comfortable living.cooking, and sleeping in the MH it is likely within those degrees of safety for the frig.

Yes, from the Fridge stand point, it was always more critical to be as close to level, F-B.  Before Jacks, beach camping could get interesting...