somewhereinusa

Schoolie Conversion

On 1/18/2019 at 12:53 AM, somewhereinusa said:

Playing with walnut and my Shaper Origin.  Bad weather is starting to set in so I'm spending more time in the shop. I just finished some new LED light fixtures.

This is 43" long.

32905004358_1c86aa5b3f_z.jpg

Detail of fixture.

46728118002_0ce4da3f07_z.jpg

Bracket detail.

46055901594_f90421c81b_z.jpg

Next project is a makeup mirror/station cabinet for DW out of walnut.

D ick

Did you modify a 120vac fixture to be 12vdc?  If so, please detail the specifications of the fixture and steps to modify. 

Edited by rossboyer

49 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

Did you modify a 120vac fixture to be 12vdc?  If so, please detail the specifications of the fixture and steps to modify. 

These aren't fluorescent, they are aluminum channels about 1 inch wide that you put an led strip in.

LED fixture

The reason I asked is that I just installed 20 LED fixtures in my shop, garage and kitchen which are 120VAC. Some of them are surface mounted. I was considering opening one to see if I could eliminate the electronics that change the 120VAC to probably 12VDC. If I can I would install two 48” fixtures in our motor home to replace the small ceiling fixtures in the living and kitchen area. I had changed those to LEDs a couple of years ago. While there are 4 strips of 6000 LEDs, they still don’t put out enough lumens. 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:54 AM, rossboyer said:

The reason I asked is that I just installed 20 LED fixtures in my shop, garage and kitchen which are 120VAC. Some of them are surface mounted. I was considering opening one to see if I could eliminate the electronics that change the 120VAC to probably 12VDC. If I can I would install two 48” fixtures in our motor home to replace the small ceiling fixtures in the living and kitchen area. I had changed those to LEDs a couple of years ago. While there are 4 strips of 6000 LEDs, they still don’t put out enough lumens. 

I found on line a 12 inch 12 vdc LED fixture. While they only have three strips of LEDs, the light output is great. I left the current fixtures and connected three of the new fixtures perpendicular to the original. Still have one left because they come two to the package. I may add it to the other ceiling light in the future. 

You can find these on Amazon, MIHAZ 108LED 12V for 17.98/2 fixtures. 

6 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

Made some new LED light fixtures. 

Top left is walnut, right is pine, bottom right is cheap plastic original fixture.

50147603771_a46fef69fd_o.jpg

True craftsman you are! Very nice work detail :wub:

All led's require about 4 volts DC current therefore you must stack three to become a 12 volt fixture, they will not work on AC current because they are a diode. Any 120 volt LED has an AC to DC converter allow it to work. Just saying so that others may understand what makes them tick. The LED itself can stand some moisture but it is best that they are in a sealed environment, very easy to do since there is such a small amount of heat generated in their structure. One can purchase rolls in 5 meters and make almost any light fixture that is conceivable to ones imagination, just remember that the more LED's within the fixture the brighter the fixture will be. Be sure to remember that the rolls are 12 volt DC so the LED's must be cut in increments of three, the rolls are marked also to let you know where the beginning and ending of each series of three.

Technically an LED will work on AC voltage if you get the voltage right. Since it is a diode it only lights on every other cycle.

The 12v strip LED's are available in both water proof and non waterproof strips. They make connectors that snap on but, I've had better luck just soldering a wire to the copper pad.  Many of the fixtures I have made use one of the  led boards made to replace automotive lights. One example.

34935922034_296e7c3eef_o.jpg

They already have the resistors needed to make it work with 12V. Just remove the plastic plug and solder wires on.

35735939836_e3989156fd_o.jpg

34935928684_163b93fd51_o.jpg

35388624330_83c4ae30df_o.jpg

Edited by somewhereinusa

Why is this conversion taking so long?  It's only been about ten years. I seem to take time to learn new skills because I want to build something.  Too cheap/broke to buy them.  I spent the winter milling lumber. My woodworking skills have improved a great deal. I'm now using walnut and ash for the interior.  Here's a video of what I did to get some walnut trim pieces. 

Edited by somewhereinusa

Finally got all of the ceiling panels up, it's only been 10 years, never rush into anything. Needed a new dome light, made this out of an old glassm bus dome light, Cut afixture out of  walnut  and converted it to LED.

51509190558_9e7b4a1650_z.jpg

Finally got the step lights that I built 10 years ago hooked up with a switch that turns them on when I open the door. Got the indirect lights installed in the kitchen and LR. Currently working on turning on the step light when you touch the assist handle.

Many years ago, about 10,  I installed lights for the entry step. I finally got around to hooking them up. I used a reed switch with magnet to activate them to turn on when I open the door. In the same general theme of not doing anything simple I put a new clock above the door that I could see while driving. Then to further complicate things I added a light under that to also light up the entrance.  As I get older I found that, in the dark, I used the cabinet above the passenger seat to steady myself. Soooo I added a grab handle to the bottom of the cabinet. Still not content with leaving things alone I made the grab handle a touch sensor to turn on the light so I could descend the steps with light. While I was at that, I made the reading light just installed to also touch to turn on.

Here's the wiring diagram.

51554794410_353ef26949_z.jpg

As usual the coding gave me a bit of problem but, I was able to figure it out by myself. Is it bad code if it does what you want it to?

Edited by somewhereinusa