deasnealy

Cummins Water Pump Leak - ISB 340

Last May, I had a developing leak near the water pump. I had a mobile mechanic out of Niceville, Florida diagnose the issue as a leaking water pump. He replaced it and ran up to Atl. Noticed a faint smell of coolant but did not see any leakage on the ground. Drove it back down to Orlando and noticed a leak again! It's at Cummins Orlando and they say its dripping from the weep hole and I need another Waterpump. Say its restricted access and quoted me 1200 to correct it. 

It's a rear radiator ISB 340. Does anyone know how a pump could fail so quickly? I think the mechanic did install a Carquest pump as I see the other parts he used for filters were from there. I cannot get him to return my calls after our first conversation and he claims he has never seen a new pump fail that quickly in his 15-year experience. Is it possible for another leak to appear it's coming from the weep hole or did I just have bad workmanship or a bad pump? Feeling Frustrated in Florida! Thanks for any suggestions!

deasnealy is online now Report Post 

Deas, Was the first leak at the weep hole? or around the mounting gasket? or hose clamp area?

Might want to check Radiator pressure cap is working at the correct pressure.

What year is the coach and what is the millage. Has the coolant system been serviced?

Rich.

17 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Rich,   Coach is 2010 with about 50k miles.  Always serviced by Freightliner (until this issue) and coolant was replaced 2 years ago by Gaffney.   According to first  mechanic, the leak was at the weep hole.   I did not know what to look for, but it appeared to leaking from that area.  Would the Radiator pressure cap cause water to leak at the weep hole?  Now it is supposedly leaking from the weep hole.  Cummings Orlando will not confirm they did a pressure test and they know I had a non cummings service.  So am concerned they are just assuming its the waterpump workmanship.  The guy working on it seemed to have years of experience and was highly rated.   Trying to figure out if it could be anything else.  

Having the Cap pressure tested is not a big deal. Think a number of parts stores will have a device to test them. The pressure range should be right on the cap. 

Free service at most locations that offer it. Only remove the cap when the engine is cool !!!!

The service shops will almost always question the mobile mechanics unless it is someone they use. Replacing a water pump  is not easy in most cases and getting a good seal can be  a bear.

In your case it sounds like the pump is leaking at the weep hole. That being the case - then the pump seal is good. 

Bad part, always a possibility. Was it a re-manufactured pump?

Rich.

Deasnely, what year is your coach? 

I just replaced the pump on our ISL400 heres the link;

I Do not know if this pump also fits your engine.  I will say the an aftermarket pump is not likely to be an updated design if these is one available from Cummins. I had a friend replace his pump on his coach at a campground over the summer and the aftermarket pump he purchased was new, but was the original Cummins design from 4 pump models ago.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Having the Cap pressure tested is not a big deal. Think a number of parts stores will have a device to test them. The pressure range should be right on the cap. 

Free service at most locations that offer it. Only remove the cap when the engine is cool !!!!

The service shops will almost always question the mobile mechanics unless it is someone they use. Replacing a water pump  is not easy in most cases and getting a good seal can be  a bear.

In your case it sounds like the pump is leaking at the weep hole. That being the case - then the pump seal is good. 

Bad part, always a possibility. Was it a re-manufactured pump?

Rich.

Rich,  I am not positive on the pump manufacturer or if it was remanufactured.  Trying to get the info.  The mechanic has gone silent.  He said he usually uses Carquest so if he source there I assume it was not cummings.   For some reason, I thought he had to get the pump somewhere else so it could be cummings or it could be some other crap.  You would think Cummings Orlando would perform a pressure test and would have considered the Cap pressure test.  However, I cannot get them to tell me if they performed a pressure test or tested the cap.  Would a bad cap potentially cause leakage at the weep hole?  I think the mobile mechanic had about 15 years experience and had installed new motors etc and came highly recommended by others in the area.   Still, if he was really good he would have insisted on OEM parts for something this hard to get to.    His silence concerns me and he has not offered to take a look at it.    I am not in Orlando but may ask to be present for the pressure test and inquire about the Cap Pressure tested. 

40 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Its a 2010 Cummings ISB.  Still trying to get the original mechanic to return my messages.   I am going to give him one more day and then I may have to proceed with Cummings Orlando. 

16 minutes ago, deasnealy said:

For the price of a radiator cap (usually under $20.00) just replace it. Keep us posted on how this unfolds.