hayesfamily

Ditched my Towing and Roadside Assistance

So, I did it. I ditched my Roadside Assistance and couldn't be happier - THAT DOESNT MEAN THIS IS FOR EVERYONE but for us it works and may for someone else. 

So after reading ALLLLL of the horror stories about the various companies out there I decided to do some research and figure out how to keep cash in my pockets vs giving to someone who may or may not be there for my and my family. Here is what I came up with:

Good Sam was going to cost me $150 a year and If I need a tow once every 5 years that is about $750 for a tow that would general cost be maybe half that for the few miles they will tow me. 

As long as I have my towed, unless its Transmission or lower block issues I carry enough tools to go as far as ripping a cylinder head off if needed.

Tie issues - well if I blow one I got to pay for the tire anyway so there service charge for them coming out to do it isnt worth the 150 bucks a year to Good  Sam 

Here is the real kicker - THe Hartford who graciously insures us even after i sued them, HAD BETTER coverage for Motorhome/RV than Good sam with dedicated departments for us FOR FREE!!! Your heard me its included in the premium. I get Cash for interrupted trip, cash for lodging, rental car, Towing to the nearest qualified repair facility (No matter how far) AND ITS INCLUDED in my premium,

So check your insurance companies offerings cause I was paying for something i got for free ANYWAY!

Your paying for your insurance, so it isn't FREE.  I get your drift, got the same with State Farm & like you, do not have RA anymore!

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Your paying for your insurance, so it isn't FREE.  I get your drift, got the same with State Farm & like you, do not have RA anymore!

Your right but what I am not doing is paying for it 2xs.  

We are in the process of evaluating road hazard assistance/service again. Had it the first year for some cross country travel, I really question doing it again. I think I will check with my insurance carrier and see what they already offer. Thanks for the posting. 

I also have State Farm and roadside assistance is included.  I feel that know matter where I’m located, any road side assistance would be via a local tow/repair facility as the road assistance provider is just a dispatcher.  

Patrick

Keon,

I have Roadside Assistance in my Insurance policy from Farm Bureau which is included with no extra cost. However I read my policy and the max they will pay is up to $120.00 for a tow. My FMCA Roadside Assistance , $69.00 per year, covers me with no max. to tow to the nearest Authorized  Service Center.

I agree "what is good for the goose is not alway good for the gander". Your policy may have better towing than mine. 

Good to hear from you and the family.

Herman

I meet a guy at campgrounds that had towing policy from his insurance company.  He was broke down on the side of the road and after 3 hours dealing with the CS Rep, they told him that they didn't have a contract in that area with a wrecker service large enough to tow his motorhome.  He was told to find someone and have them tow the motorhome and then submit the recipe for reimbursement.  He also found out that there was 120.00 limit on towing and as out over 600.00 out a pocket.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Keon,

I have Roadside Assistance in my Insurance policy from Farm Bureau which is included with no extra cost. However I read my policy and the max they will pay is up to $120.00 for a tow. My FMCA Roadside Assistance , $69.00 per year, covers me with no max. to tow to the nearest Authorized  Service Center.

Herman

I agree Herman, at $69 a year, it's a no brainer..

New Years eve in the afternoon, my lock failed on the door into our motor home. FMCA Roadside Rescue sent a locksmith. Took about 90 minutes to get to me and less than 20 minutes to get in. More than a year of cost was recovered by the cost of this one service. 

I have found you can also cancel the RA feature from your insurance policy for a lower rate. I did this with my current policy which lowers my premium by $90 annually and I purchased the FMCA RA.

My situation is a little bit different, it is included in my premium and I cannot opt out at all. In that case it was just better for me all the way around to just drop good Sam. The interesting thing is I dropped it long before I knew it my insurance company will cover it so, to that effect I felt that good Sam was that much of a rip off. 

Keon.

I ditto Bill.

Where have you been?  You did not renew FMCA, so you left the Forum.  Then you renewed and your still not on! :blink: 

Keon, I ditched our years ago! waste of money in my opinion. With technology today at your finger tips, you can locate service easily and call them yourself. Plus you wont be dealing with the lowest bidder quality and delays that RS carriers seek out. I have been on the other end of those companies before, I can tell you from experience, you get what you pay for in attitude and quality, neither of which are desirable when you need help. 

We are keeping the Escapees Roadside Assistance.  We have had GS and Coachnet over the years and decided to dump GS after a call out to change a tire on the dually.  GS said that there would be an extra charge if they had to add air to the spare.   This is a major crock.  The truck arrived with an air compressor and pneumatic tools, so he had air.

Ken

17 hours ago, jleamont said:

Keon, I ditched our years ago! waste of money in my opinion. With technology today at your finger tips, you can locate service easily and call them yourself. Plus you wont be dealing with the lowest bidder quality and delays that RS carriers seek out. I have been on the other end of those companies before, I can tell you from experience, you get what you pay for in attitude and quality, neither of which are desirable when you need help. 

Here is what i figure 

1. We are young enough to climb under a coach 

2. I think we keep enough tools on board to drop a tranny if needed

3. Most things that we would run into we could fix on the side of the road or at a campground - provided we got the toad with us and can get to a parts store

4. IF there was a problem that a tow truck is needed - The $300 it would cost to tow us to the nearest truck stop (That we will call and they be to us in 45 min) is well worth it not to be on the side of the road for 5 hours. If you have one tow every 5 years and you have GS, that's Hundreds of dollars wasted that went in to GS CEO's pocket. 

Id rather spend my money camping ... 

On 2/20/2019 at 6:55 AM, manholt said:

Keon.

I ditto Bill.

Where have you been?  You did not renew FMCA, so you left the Forum.  Then you renewed and your still not on! :blink: 

Im here ... when i took a sabbatical there was action on the forum ... awesome laughs and "interesting" conversation. I saw we strike up a scandal and blame it on JLeamont!

On 2/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Good to hear from you. 

Bill

HOWDY BILL hows it going 

18 hours ago, jleamont said:

Keon, I ditched our years ago! waste of money in my opinion. 

Ya know whats next to go ... GPS. Biggest waste of MONEY i ever did 

The Garmin 760RV with lifetime maps is great, but you have to use it in conjunction with a map.  It will not always pick the best route.

And it does route you differently in RV mode.  Like most things you have to learn its limits and how to use it.

Ken

Agreed. Garmin is great till it's not. We usually stop at the welcome center when entering a state for the first time and pick up a free road map. Usually the most current maps. Having been a Boy Scout, I do like to be prepared. According to Murphy, the GPS will cut out on the piece of road where you need the most help.

If it's a road or area that's new to me, I'll look at Sat view first, then a map.  Have not used my Navigation system, since 2011 in another coach!  I will check weather & road closures, if conditions warrant that.

I don't want to be one of Keon's customers! :ph34r:

I use my Garmin religiously, to know my exact Speed, To insure I am on the right road, to know what the next exit on the Interstate is and most of all when Bobbie see's a Garage Sale and I get way back in an unfamiliar neighborhood I can see the roads to get out on. (Happens quite often) :D

When I want to see where or how to get some where I will use a state map or Rand McNally Atlas.

Herman 

One thing missing from any GPS unit that I've used is 'back azimuth'. Would be great to just have a button that would take us back from where we started, particularly when the starting point was not a saved place.

3 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

One thing missing from any GPS unit that I've used is 'back azimuth'. Would be great to just have a button that would take us back from where we started, particularly when the starting point was not a saved place.

A VERY important feature on marine GPS's.  We call them "bread crumbs".  Allow us to navigate previously traveled areas with confidence.  Particularly helpful in dodging coral heads at night (leaving from south end of Key Biscayne for W End Grand Bahamas, for daylight arrival in the Bahamas, for example)