rfsod48

Rockport/Corpus Christi

We are in Rockport Corpus Christi now and would like suggestions of where to eat and what to see. We will be in the area for 2 weeks.

It may be hard to say since the hurricane but Charlotte Plummers out on I believe it is Ses Side. There is also Shimmeys on Hwy 35 towards Aransas Pass. There are others but these were our favorites. 

Herman 

We are at Majestic Oak RV Park, seems good so far. How about the Texas Aquarium? Is it worth the drive to Brownsville? We will be here for 2 weeks and then to RGV.

Roland, why go to Brownsville now?  You'll be a lot closer in 2 weeks!  Rockport to Brownsville  = 200 miles.  Where in RGV are you going in 2 weeks?

Whooping Cranes are still in the area, Aransas Pass wildlife, Chamber of Commerce & Tourism...just go and try something, anything!

We have not made any reservations for RGV yet, considering Brownsville for 1-2 weeks and then heading west towards McAllen.

If you're interested in seeing the Whooping Cranes, they were almost extinct just a few years ago, dive out to Goose Island State Park and instead of turning right to the park turn left. towards the the Big Oak Tree. When you get to12th St, turn right.  At the Oak  Tree, on the right there is a large field. Drive to the end, turn right and keep looking to the right in the field. Often times the Whoopers are in this area. Turn right on 11th and there is a home on the right with a large corn feeder, there may be Whooping Cranes and Sandhill Cranes in there waiting for feeding time. The cranes stand 5 ft tall and are white. The Sandhills are much shorter and will appear to be gray.

We used to go to Port Mansfield, nothing fancy small fishing town, we used it as home base when we took our boat.

Jim

San Jacinto Museum of History and in the same area Battleship Texas State Historic Site. Not a long drive.

Padre Island National Seashore. See it now as you can't drive the length of Padre Island there is a ship channel with no bridge. You can see south Padre Island when staying in the valley. Try Dirty Al's at Pelican Station just before you go across the bridge.

Last time in the valley stayed at Texas Trails RV Resort, West Owassa Road, Pharr, TX.

Stop and see a exact copy of the Iwo Jima Monument.

Iwo Jima Monument, 320 Iwo Jima Blvd, Harlingen, TX 78550

Bill

I agree with Herman about Charlotte Plummer’s and I think it is actually in Fulton. If you like seafood your in the right place. It’s hard to find bad seafood in that area. In Corpus Christi the aircraft carrier you can tour is the USS Lexington. Have fun!

Paul

Roland.  This time of year, I'm surprised you don't have a reservation in the Valley...Kind of like Florida in Winter!  A lot of good golf down there!

Carl, called this morning and no problem in getting spot at Mission Bell in Mission Tx. Hope to play a lot of golf and go shooting.

15 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What made you chose that one? Have you stayed there before?

Bill

No, just looking at the area and location. Fair price and amenities and I seem to remember in someone’s previous post that it was recommended.

Mission Bell has not been reviewed since 2017 but it was a 7.7 out of 10 then with 2 good reviews and one bad from 2015. I'd throw the bad one out.

RFSod, please post a review in RV Park Reviews after you have stayed there. It helps us other travelers.

Roland.  You did good.  95% of parks down there are year in, year out Snow Birds, so it can be a bit of a hassle to find anything that's above a 6.0!  I agree with Wayne!  Besides your in a area of what you love to do...GOLF!  DINE!  Enjoy!

Carl

Glad to know they are open. We will be in Rockport on May 16th - 18th for a rally. Bobbie and I are Assistant Wagon Masters.

Drop me a line if anyone would like to join us.

Herman

Roland, there is a great Seafood place, across the bridge, in the yacht basin in Rockport.  Don't know if it survived.  Only one there on right side!