ttennebk

Fuel in Canada

Question

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. What is the best way to buy fuel going thru Canada? We are thinking about buying prepaid debit cards. Would that be a smart move or is there a better way?

Thanks

Safe travels

6 answers to this question

I found with my trip across Canada last fall the best price was at Mobil with using the Optimum card available at Super stores or Shoppers Drug mart 

check access as some are real tight 

The card gives you 3.5 cents per liter to spend in the two stores 

Alaska is on my wish list so one day 

If  you have a Costco card Prince George Costco has Diesel and is best price in the area and I believe the province 

Most Costco's do not have diesel  

We never had a problem refueling, as nearly every station sells diesel fuel. I had used my Discover card(2% fuel cost rewards) everywhere - until Discover emailed me saying my card had been compromised in Montana and has been locked, then I had to switch to Mastercard, as there was no way to receive new Discover cards until we returned home.

The only problem our caravan encountered was small stations where maneuvering was tight, with 13 RV's arriving at the same time.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, ttennebk said:

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. What is the best way to buy fuel going thru Canada? We are thinking about buying prepaid debit cards. Would that be a smart move or is there a better way?

Thanks

Safe travels

Welcome to the forum. You can use any of your credit cards. (don't use a debit card) just let the bank/company know that you will be in Canada so they don't think it was stolen and lock it. I would notify a couple card s just because like here some places only like certain cards.

Have a great trip.

Bill