Aircherokee

How I lowered my insurance premium

I just wanted to share with other members about my recent call with Safeco Insurance.

Spoke with a very helpful rep who answered my questions regarding my premium increase over last year.  He was quoting a higher deductible to decrease my premium and when he matter of factly mentioned my RV's value, NADA industry rates shows my value as being $12,000 less than what my insurance coverage is at.  He stated that I'd have to have documentation proving the value for anything over what the industry rates show.

As a result, we modified my policy to match the industry value resulting in an annual premium savings of $247.80.

With the savings, I figure it'll buy  us a lot of "happy hour refreshments" that I can actually enjoy rather than paying unnecessary increased insurance premiums that won't taste as good. 

Just thought I'd share.

We had Safeco for two years and then with no claims, tickets and for no reason, jumped our rates almost 30%.

It pays to shop about every 3 years.

Ken

On 1/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, Aircherokee said:

I just wanted to share with other members about my recent call with Safeco Insurance.

Spoke with a very helpful rep who answered my questions regarding my premium increase over last year.  He was quoting a higher deductible to decrease my premium and when he matter of factly mentioned my RV's value, NADA industry rates shows my value as being $12,000 less than what my insurance coverage is at.  He stated that I'd have to have documentation proving the value for anything over what the industry rates show.

As a result, we modified my policy to match the industry value resulting in an annual premium savings of $247.80.

With the savings, I figure it'll buy  us a lot of "happy hour refreshments" that I can actually enjoy rather than paying unnecessary increased insurance premiums that won't taste as good. 

Just thought I'd share.

Interesting that they wanted proof to raise your value but continued to charge you for a value they knew was too high...:(

I just signed into my  Safeco account. Low and behold the header says "Safeco Insurance, a Liberty Mutual Company".

I had Progressive a couple of years ago, and after asking some pointed questions about rates rising as the coach got older, I was informed the company will not decrease the insured value, the owner must do that.  Bottom line was they were insuring it for more than it was worth and more than they would have paid out had been wrecked.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, manholt said:

They all have that habit...especially Progressive!  

Amen, mine went up 23% this year due to "last year's hurricane losses and increase in uninsured [illegal alien] motorists" here in Florida according to Progressive CSR.

Must be a state-by-state thing. My Progressive premium stayed exactly the same, other than the extra $5 for the liability coverage I added for times we're using the motor home for living in.

12 hours ago, Pmwiseman said:

Amen, mine went up 23% this year due to "last year's hurricane losses and increase in uninsured [illegal alien] motorists" here in Florida according to Progressive CSR.

Wow, have you tried to shop around? 

I used to shop my insurance around by myself, and then one day discovered what a good insurance agent can accomplish. We've been with the same agency for many years now, and they handle all our policies - auto, home, and business. It was quite surprising how much better coverage our agent was able to get for us, and how much less things cost us compared to what I was able to do myself.

A good independent agent can shop your coverage to all the companies offering lines of insurance you need. They are familiar with the ins & outs of the underwriting process, and they are able to do things through their contacts that you and I would never be able to do.

The most important thing for us in using an independent agent, especially one like we use that has a HUGE client base, is their ability to go to bat for you when there are problems with a claim.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:45 PM, Pmwiseman said:

I asked my agent about those reasons for across-the-board premium increases . She said usually smaller or under-capitalized companies do this to recoup losses in the affected states, but larger companies only increase premiums in those affected states.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:15 PM, cptlou said:

Anyone happy with their insurance agent on the west coast of Florida- Sarasota County

Our home address is south of you (North Ft Myers) and we have been with National General (Good Sams) for several years.  Our new premium went down either $3.00 or $13.00 when it renewed this month (boss ain't here to give me exact figure).

We had a windshield claim last year which they paid 100% ($3,700).

I just got a call from them yesterday telling me a possible hurricane was on the way......duhhhh…., they wanted to make sure I was taking precautions.  I let them know we never venture into our home state during hurricane season.  I wish there was a discount offered for not being down there during the storm season, my rates would probably go down a lot.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, campcop said:

Interesting that they wanted proof to raise your value but continued to charge you for a value they knew was too high...:(

Any claim would be settled on an ACV basis (NADA value would be a good indicator) UNLESS you have an Agreed Amount valuation clause. Then value you speak of is only to determine premium not a claim valuation. Most of threads I see are filled with misinformation common to the public..

On 8/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, elkhartjim said:

I received my renewal premium notice today from The Hartford through AARP, the annual premium went down $132 and I had a $15,000 claim this spring.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:27 PM, DOOWAH said:

Any claim would be settled on an ACV basis (NADA value would be a good indicator) UNLESS you have an Agreed Amount valuation clause. Then value you speak of is only to determine premium not a claim valuation. Most of threads I see are filled with misinformation common to the public..

May I ask you what kind if rig your insuring? We have Hartford currently also through AARP was thrilled when we got it because we had the house, boat, motor home  truck and 2 cars. One of them a BMW and they are generally spendy to insure. They saved us 600. A year so we were thrilled. Have since sold boat, have new much larger coach, and got rid of beamer in lue of jeep to tow.  Last year we had some serious damage to our house to tune if 80,000 and were still not fighting with them to get everything covered. They have made our lives **** to be blunt. Maybe if they drop premium for a year after claim I'll stay with them. Lol

I am a full timer registured in So Dakota. I do not have a physical home anymore. Hartford, thru AARP, Safeco a division of Liberty Mutual and State Farm all told me that they would not insure my RV for full time use without a homeowners policy. I asked them if I am full time why would I have a homeowners policy? Guess its State Law or something! I went with Geico on my Class A, Jeep tow, Harley, a $1,000,000 umbrella, and 3 landlord policies on rental property, who AARP, Safeco and State Farm said did not qualify as homeowners policies.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, DOOWAH said:

Just went through the same issue with Farmers, was paying for a value that was $25K more that the actual cash value, based on listing that I could find and NADA blue book.

Jim

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, FIVE said:

I refused to use Progressive until the wacko owner died several years ago.

He's dead?  I didn't know that. 

We just received our insurance renewal quote from National General.  It increased about $1,200! 35% to 40%.  Called our broker at FMCA and he was able to switch us to another carrier and saved us a LOT of money.