eric@babin.com

AQUA HOT 450D / ZONE OUT? OVERFULL?

Coach: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - All electric

Aqua Hot 450D

I had my Aqua Hot serviced in October, had never used it prior to that. (I bought coach used in May).

All zones worked when we first used it in November, shortly after the service.

In December I noticed Zone 1 was not heating, blowing only cold air. (On mine, Zone 1 is the rear which is in main bathroom, and 1/2 bathroom)

Zone 2, which is mid-coach, worked fine (and still does)

I finally took a look after I noticed it appeared to leak under the coach under the AquaHot location from time to time.

Yes, I see now when 'hot' it is overfull. (see pictures).

Here is my thought, but I know nothing about Aqua Hot.... I think MAYBE the Zone 1 piping liquid is all in the tank, and not in the pipes..... maybe a stuck check valve prevents the liquid from getting back into the piping to circulate?????

You can see in the below pictures the aqua hot reservoir is full to the top, and leaking out the overflow tube. 

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Eric, 

This may sound strange but if you can take the cover off you will find three solenoids. With the unit on and all three zone on feel the lines on each solenoid. They should all be hot. The one that is not hot is the one that is stuck.  With a hammer bang on the cold valve. Then check to see if it gets hot. Lack of use will sometimes cause them to get stuck. 

You need to exercise the Aqua Hot at least every 30 to 45 days.

Let me know if this helps. I told it sounds strange but it works.

Herman 

Eric,

Use a turkey baster (don't tell wife) and if the fluid is hot remove enough to get to the hot fill mark. Then as Herman stated check the solenoids.

My conversation with Rudy Leggett of Houston, Aqua Hot expert, AND Aqua Hot customer services, the system needs to be run every 30 days (or as Herman stated up to 45 days) and at the same time turn the thermostat in the coach up to exercise the heat exchangers. This will ensure a long life. (Supposed to anyhow)

By running every day, turn the burner on and let it cycle at least once. On start up you'll hear a whine and then a poof when it ignites. Check the exhaust and feel for a steady flow and no diesel smell. A diesel smell indicates a partially clogged, or starting to clog, nozzle. The clogging happens when the system is not run regularly. The residual diesel around the nozzle will gel causing the clogging condition, According to Rudy, if they are exercised like they are supposed to be exercised they should go 2 and maybe 3 years without needing service. I'm still going to work on a shorter time frame for servicing.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Eric, 

This may sound strange but if you can take the cover off you will find three solenoids. With the unit on and all three zone on feel the lines on each solenoid. They should all be hot. The one that is not hot is the one that is stuck.  With a hammer bang on the cold valve. Then check to see if it gets hot. Lack of use will sometimes cause them to get stuck. 

You need to exercise the Aqua Hot at least every 30 to 45 days.

Let me know if this helps. I told it sounds strange but it works.

Herman 

Yep... I'll give that a shot... I did take a quick look at it last month and the problem was when I take the cover off it disconnects the power via a sensor... I guess I could tape it down so it thinks the cover is on.... also, the **** thing is in there sideways.... tough to squeeze in.  But, I'll give it a shot.

Also.... Since we had it serviced and working in October we did run it every couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Eric,

Use a turkey baster (don't tell wife) and if the fluid is hot remove enough to get to the hot fill mark. Then as Herman stated check the solenoids.

My conversation with Rudy Leggett of Houston, Aqua Hot expert, AND Aqua Hot customer services, the system needs to be run every 30 days (or as Herman stated up to 45 days) and at the same time turn the thermostat in the coach up to exercise the heat exchangers. This will ensure a long life. (Supposed to anyhow)

By running every day, turn the burner on and let it cycle at least once. On start up you'll hear a whine and then a poof when it ignites. Check the exhaust and feel for a steady flow and no diesel smell. A diesel smell indicates a partially clogged, or starting to clog, nozzle. The clogging happens when the system is not run regularly. The residual diesel around the nozzle will gel causing the clogging condition, According to Rudy, if they are exercised like they are supposed to be exercised they should go 2 and maybe 3 years without needing service. I'm still going to work on a shorter time frame for servicing.

Good info.... I'm just not sure why the level is so high.... since it was recently serviced... (October)… maybe when they did the service they filled to "hot" line while cold?

No diesel smell so that is good. 

I'll take a look inside the panel next week.  

6 minutes ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

since it was recently serviced.

Do you know what they actually touched as part of the service? Just a nozzle replacement and electrode adjustment wouldn't cause this. It was either overfilled or there is a valve shut off and as it gets hotter its backing up into the supply/overflow tank.

41 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Do you know what they actually touched as part of the service? Just a nozzle replacement and electrode adjustment wouldn't cause this. It was either overfilled or there is a valve shut off and as it gets hotter its backing up into the supply/overflow tank.

I don't know for sure they did anything.... but I do know it's not a valve you manually close because it was working shortly after the service.  

I did what was suggested above.... and..... one hose warm, other hose clearly NOT warm.  I tapped, then whapped, and finally WACKED what I believe was the check valve attached to the cool hose.... no luck.  Still not working....  

Looking at the picture below.... the metal thing just left of the center hose with a hex bolt looking thing on top is the check valve?  Is the plastic square thingy under and to the right of the center hose..... is that a little 12v pump?  I tapped on that too.... no luck.... still doesn't work. 

IMG_0615.jpg

I agree with Joe on poss cause!  Neither Herman or Wayne is wrong.  We, like you have a tough time getting to overflow.  Linda used a 5' length of clear surgical hose, cut in half and each half connected to a rubber bulb.  one end goes in antifreeze, other in overflow, then you squeeze bulb until it goes from on to other, for reverse (your case) start at reservoir, hold bottom shut until you have flow and place bottom in container!  We cant get a Turkey baster in there...her way beats sucking! :lol:

8 minutes ago, manholt said:

I agree with Joe on poss cause!  Neighter Herman or Wayne is wrong.  We, like you have a tough time getting to overflow.  Linda used a 5' length of clear surgical hose, cut in half and each half connected to a rubber bulb.  one end goes in antifreeze, other in overflow, then you squeeze bulb until it goes from on to other, for reverse (your case) start at reservoir, hold bottom shut until you have flow and place bottom in container!  We cant get a Turkey baster in there...her way beats sucking! :lol:

Is it possible over fill would cause 1 zone to not flow? 

9 minutes ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

Is it possible over fill would cause 1 zone to not flow? 

Not likely. Did they drain and replace the boiler fluid? If so that could cause all of your issues above. I would reach out to whom ever performed the service and ask. 

Yes, when the cover is off their is a safety switch that opens or closes and the system will not run. If you want to run it with the cover off you have to depress or somehow push that switch.

Another thing is that the antifreeze that is used is not your typical bought antifreeze from an auto-store. There are two colors, pink and green and they should NOT be mixed.

Did your system come with a refractometer? It is one way to make sure the glycol is the proper proportion.

Not sure about your unit but on ours, there are indicator  lights that tell you if the pumps are functioning properly , sounds like one of your pumps is not working.