koi095

Banks Power System for Workhorse 8.1 GM Engine

I'm thinking about installing a Banks Power system on my 2006 Southwind with the 8.1 Vortec engine. I READ A PREVIOUS THREAD BUT IT WAS IN 2009. Is there any newer information, pro or con. 

Thank You, RonJ

Ron, while I cannot speak to the 8.1 GM I did install it on a Ford V10 in our last coach and many kits on diesel pickups over the years. Their quality is superior, installation wasn’t bad and the performance was great. I really didn’t get any MPG increase in the motorhome. I did get a 2 mpg increase on my old diesel Ford pickup as long as you could control temptation and keep your foot out of it. 

Things to think about. Technically, these devices are meant for OFF- Road use only!  They are in fact illegal for use on the highway, remember the EPA!! In addition they can/will void your Warranty! Generally, if it not recommended by the OEM, I would think twice using them. Additionally, IMHO, they also reduce the value of your RV, because most people don't want something that has been modified in this way. While some of these devices do improve performance, I just don't think they are worth the money, and when you consider the Downside, I question the idea to use them.

Be very careful when adding performance products to your m/h, without checking with your transmission tech. Damage can/will happen. Been there, done that.

There are a lot of different power systems available, some are just chips for more power.  The Financing of the Banks System was Dale Johnson and his Son in Law, Gale Banks was the inventor! Dale was my fathers best friend in Santa Monica, CA. until dad passed in 1983.  Last time I saw Dale and Gale, was at the FMCA INTO Rally in Lebanon, Tenn. 2002.   Banks was compliant with all CA. emission laws and street legal.  Since the Headquarters are in Azusa, CA. I would think, they are still compliant, with all EPA & CA. emission laws!

In 2005, I bought my last gas coach, 2006 Southwind 32 foot and had it delivered in Texas, with the Banks Power System...Did not affect my warranty!  I took it all over this country for 18 months and 27,000 miles, with no problems of any kind...then I needed more torque and a higher tow capacity for a 24' Stacker trailer, that's when I got the WB Tour 40KD.  With a DP, it's a whole other ball game.