Hi all,

I have a Nexus 40D on order with an ISB360 and an Allison 3000. Can anyone with a similar sized unit and drivetrain attest to the pulling power for a toad? I’m looking at pulling an suv weighing 5,000 or 6,000 lb. Want to make sure I’m not overloading the drivetrain from a usability standpoint (I know I’m within max parameters). 

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn, I don't see any problem. With any large vehicle you will have to adjust to how it drives. Ask if you have any questions. Do you have any experience driving a big rig?

Bill

Yes. I drove 6 and 10 wheel straight body tankers all through college and am not concerned with the physical size of the set up. My concern is the ability of the 360 motor to adequately haul 30k lb worth of mh and pull 6k worth of toad. Planning on cross country travel and ability to get up and down Appalachians and Rockies. 

Shawn,

You asked about power, and yes a knowledgeable driver can properly use the drivetrain.

But (actually large BUT) that does not mean it will be safe to do so.

Many other factors come into play. The GCWR is far more complex than just "drive train". Both from a mechanical and from a legal standpoint.

Are you within GCWR?  If so, no problem-- just slower on long grades.  And watch for overheating of engine or transmission.

39 minutes ago, Beach8255 said:

Please explain. My GCWR is 42k. (32 GVWR on the axles, 10 on the hitch) I’ll be rolling 30/6 for a GCW of 36k, well within the manufacturers described limits. 

Then you are good to go!