wildebill308

Annual oil change

Well getting ready to do my annual oil change. I run Shell Rotella T-6 5-40 full synthetic. I decided look online and see if shell was still doing a rebate. They still are but they change the rules. Now you can only get 2 rebates per household so if you buy 5 gallons of oil (in gal bottles) you can only get rebates on 2 gallons of $7.00ea or $14.00 if you just buy the gallons. I found they sell it at Walmart in 2.5-gallon containers this will allow you to get a rebate on each one of $17.50 or $35 for the two.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/better-fuel-economy-meets-better-wallet-economy.html#iframe=L0RJWS90NXQ2Lw==

This is actually better than the last program because you could only get $5.00 on 4 gal containers or $20.00 total.😄

Bill

Bill --

I the "Refining Guy" am curious why you use 5W-40 engine oil when I presume your Cummins owner's manual specifies the use of 15W-40 oil only?   Compared to a 15W-40 engine oil, the 5W-40 oil "starts" with a lower viscosity base oil and then increases the amount of viscosity improvers and other additives to achieve the higher viscosity characteristics from a 40 weight needed for high temperature operation.   I'm definitely not an engine expert, but I do know the 5W-40 oil provides less lubrication protection than 15W-40 when a cold engine is started (e.g. cold being above 32 F).   The use of 5W-40 would be OK if the engine is designed for lower viscosity oil when starting and cold engine.   Has Cummins approved the use of 5W-40 full synthetic oil in older engines such as you and I have?  

As a general comment, engine manufactures (especially gasoline engines) have evolved engine design and migrated from 10W-40 to 10W-30 to 5W-30 to 5W-20 and now 0W-20 engine oil requirements as part of the on-going effort to improve engine fuel economy.   The lower the oil viscosity, the less energy devoted to pumping the oil throughout the engine.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, fagnaml said:

Bill --

I the "Refining Guy" am curious why you use 5W-40 engine oil when I presume your Cummins owner's manual specifies the use of 15W-40 oil only?   Compared to a 15W-40 engine oil, the 5W-40 oil "starts" with a lower viscosity base oil and then increases the amount of viscosity improvers and other additives to achieve the higher viscosity characteristics from a 40 weight needed for high temperature operation.   I'm definitely not an engine expert, but I do know the 5W-40 oil provides less lubrication protection than 15W-40 when a cold engine is started (e.g. cold being above 32 F).   The use of 5W-40 would be OK if the engine is designed for lower viscosity oil when starting and cold engine.   Has Cummins approved the use of 5W-40 full synthetic oil in older engines such as you and I have?  

As a general comment, engine manufactures (especially gasoline engines) have evolved engine design and migrated from 10W-40 to 10W-30 to 5W-30 to 5W-20 and now 0W-20 engine oil requirements as part of the on-going effort to improve engine fuel economy.   The lower the oil viscosity, the less energy devoted to pumping the oil throughout the engine.

perhaps a typo??

On 1/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, fagnaml said:

I'm definitely not an engine expert, but I do know the 5W-40 oil provides less lubrication protection than 15W-40 when a cold engine is started (e.g. cold being above 32 F).  

You need to provide some proof to that statement. Because I think you will find out that a correctly formulated multigrade oil not only protects the engine at startup, but also throughout the life of the engine.

5 hours ago, campcop said:

Has Cummins approved the use of 5W-40 full synthetic oil in older engines such as you and I have?  

You might want to read Cummins Engineering Standards – 20086 This is a list of approved oils. Endorsed and Recommended by Cummins - Valvoline™ Premium Blue™ including the 5-40 synthetic are first on the list, because they have a marketing arrangement with Valvoline. Under that is the Alternatives and, in that list, you will find the Shell including the T-6.

One outher point. If Shell thought there was a chance their oil (including the T-6) could cause a problem why would the offer a 10 year 500,000 mile warranty???

2 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

I may be wrong but I believe Bill has a cat engine.

I have a 5.9 Cummins.😁

One last thing to keep in mind in the future as the new API FA-4 oils become more available/prevalent.

API FA-4 oils are not interchangeable or backward compatible with API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, and CH-4 oils. Refer to engine manufacturer recommendations to determine if API FA-4 oils are suitable for use.

Bill

Several chassis makers offered a choice of both Caterpillar and Cummins engines.  The RV manufacturer decided on which (based on both HP and torque AND PRICE).

Basically, the smaller the engine, the lower the price-- Cat or Cummins.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

New designation diesel oil recommendation by Cummins: CK4 15-40. NOT FA4.

Now Carl, no where did I say it was the current Cummins recommendation. Although I think it is for the newer 2019 engines running DEF. The heads up on lack of downward compatibility comes from,  https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/oil-categories#tab-diesel-f-category 😄

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill, when did they change over to cat engine or could you get either or? My 05 has a cat.

Like Brett said, and you do know he is Mister Cat. He can answer any Cat questions.

Bill