poodles44

Traveling the 101 on the west coast in a motorhome

Question

14 answers to this question

poodles44,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What stretch of 101 are you asking about?

We have done it in our 38' DP from south of San Francisco to just south of the Washington state border. One of our favorite summer routes.

A variety of road conditions-- some freeway some winding two lane. Lots of great scenery.

All very doable in your coach.

9 hours ago, poodles44 said:

Is it possible to travel in a 40 foot motorhome down the 101 on the west coast?  Is it two lanes or four lanes?

The 101 is not bad but I do not recommend taking your coach on the 1. See it in your toad.  

Like Brett I have done the west coast from the border south of San Diego to the Canadian border.

Bill

We have done The 101 where it connects to The 5 in LA and taken it all the way to Aberdeen, WA in the 40 footer. I'd do it again in the 43 footer - towing with both. We have traveled some of The 101 around Olympic National Park but I don't remember the road conditions - more sight seeing for me.

We've only driven the 101 in Oregon(marked as safe for commercial truck travel) and down to the Redwoods in N. CA. A great Oregon RV resort to stay in is seaperchresort.com, It''s about 5 miles South of Yahats OR.

I drove my 40' DP from San Fransisco, CA to Lincoln City, OR with a 4dr Jeep in tow up the 101 and some of the PCH/1. I did unhook a couple times due to the roads being so windy with steep curves.  Beautiful drive!!

On 1/29/2019 at 9:29 AM, Squinko said:

I did unhook a couple times due to the roads being so windy with steep curves.

I bet that was on the 1. 101 can be fun in places as it changes from 4 lane freeway to 2 lane, through the redwood state/national park where the trees stick out into the road. 

The biggest problem I saw on the 1 was the tourist stopping in the road on blind corners, to take pictures of the ocean. 

Bill

As I stated, I traveled the 101 from LA to about 20 miles from the end in Washington state in a 40 ft DP towing a Saturn. Never even thought about unhooking - no reason to.  I'm wondering where you had to unhook at.  I have Taken the 101 over the Golden State bridge with a 40 ft 5th wheel, towed with a crew cab long bed F350 King Ranch, and in the 40 ft MH.  Going around up through Oakland was not that much easier.

One time I took Hwy 199 out of Crescent City. Now that was a trick!  DW kept commenting how far it was down on her side. I told her to just pickup the camera and take pictures. 🙂

Since we were going to the Lewis-Mccord Joint Base we cut across at Aberdeen on Hwy 8 so I don't know about 101 going up to Port Angeles.

It was all a good ride. The one time we took Hwy 199 we took "The 5" to WA State.

5 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

As I stated, I traveled the 101 from LA to about 20 miles from the end in Washington state in a 40 ft DP towing a Saturn. Never even thought about unhooking - no reason to.  I'm wondering where you had to unhook at.  I have Taken the 101 over the Golden State bridge with a 40 ft 5th wheel, towed with a crew cab long bed F350 King Ranch, and in the 40 ft MH.  Going around up through Oakland was not that much easier.

One time I took Hwy 199 out of Crescent City. Now that was a trick!  DW kept commenting how far it was down on her side. I told her to just pickup the camera and take pictures. 🙂

Since we were going to the Lewis-Mccord Joint Base we cut across at Aberdeen on Hwy 8 so I don't know about 101 going up to Port Angeles.

It was all a good ride. The one time we took Hwy 199 we took "The 5" to WA State.

At the time we had a Chevy dually towing a 40' 5er, driving  the 299 from Redding (I 5) to just North of Eureka to join the 101 North. I took me about 6 hrs, and several pull-offs to allow traffic to pass. Some curves required me to take up the entire paved road. Once was enough, I think 30 was was my fastest speed.

Carl, I did those side trips on the norther portion and Olympia.

Ray, you are not talking The 101. You are talking a side road from The 5 to The 101 and just like Hwy 199 many of those side roads are twisty turney but The 101 is what we are talking about and that road is a nice ride all the way from LA to the point I left it in Aberdeen, WA. Yep, all those excursion roads from The 5 to The 101 can be tricky.

I-5 to 42 to Coos Bay, OR, via Myrtle Point.  Trill a mile!!!  Did it in 2014, will be back next year...Family in both places!

13 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Carl, I did those side trips on the norther portion and Olympia.

Ray, you are not talking The 101. You are talking a side road from The 5 to The 101 and just like Hwy 199 many of those side roads are twisty turney but The 101 is what we are talking about and that road is a nice ride all the way from LA to the point I left it in Aberdeen, WA. Yep, all those excursion roads from The 5 to The 101 can be tricky.

Right, I was responding to your comment about CA 199. US 101, IMO is not a bad road to drive, we did with our dually and 5er easily, the key is forget the word "time".