pollonbeeche

Coach Net Electric Step

My coach is a 2006 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Diesel with a front entry. Recently the electric step started to act strangely. 

When I close the door the step goes in all the way and it starts to jump 4 or 5 time like it is jumping a tooth on the gear the it settles IN when I open the door it come OUT fine, the problem is only when it goes in. The motor and the control module are about 3 years old. The step gets a little of a beating because it lays low and sometimes it drags if I go over a dip or I enter a steep driveway.

Any advices on what to do before I start replacing parts, I will probably replace the motor first. I would appreciate any advice.

Rod

1 hour ago, pollonbeeche said:

My coach is a 2006 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Diesel with a front entry. Recently the electric step started to act strangely. 

When I close the door the step goes in all the way and it starts to jump 4 or 5 time like it is jumping a tooth on the gear the it settles IN when I open the door it come OUT fine, the problem is only when it goes in. The motor and the control module are about 3 years old. The step gets a little of a beating because it lays low and sometimes it drags if I go over a dip or I enter a steep driveway.

Any advices on what to do before I start replacing parts, I will probably replace the motor first. I would appreciate any advice.

Rod

Rod, Think it would be a good to look at the mechanical parts an use a good spray lubricant like TriFlow. It is a very good Lubricating oil and penetrating oil. 

WD-40 is a good water dispersing spray, but weak in lubricating department.

Rich. 

9 hours ago, pollonbeeche said:

The step gets a little of a beating because it lays low and sometimes it drags if I go over a dip or I enter a steep driveway.

Like Rich suggested be sure to lubricate all moving parts well, I would also suggest to inspect for bent or broken parts also. If the step is prone to drag, it may have a bent or broken part somewhere within the assembly. If it does drag, you may want to check into some type of wheel assembly like many have put onto the rear of a motorhome to prevent tail dragging, except in your case, front end dragging. If the step goes out ok like you described, it does not sound like a bad motor yet, if it goes one way ok then the same motor must be working well, also it is the same gears for both in and out direction, so suspect binding for now rather than motor and gear.

Rod,

As for the step dragging, I would have the ride height adjustment checked.  Sounds to me like it may have your front end a bit too low.

As for the other part Rich and Kay are spot on.

Herman 

After rereading your post, the limit switch is a very likely suspect, it may have either come loose or has gotten into a position beyond the limits of the step electronics, if this the case, eminent damage of the unit will result.

Disconnect the link between the step and the crank and see if the step moves easily full in and full out. If it is bent it may bind.  Straighten it out and lube and it should be ok.

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Disconnect the link between the step and the crank and see if the step moves easily full in and full out. If it is bent it may bind.  Straighten it out and lube and it should be ok.

My same thought. Great minds work in small circles, LOL.

All parts are well lubricated and they are al straight and there is no binding.

I removed the steps and the steps supporting pieces, I also removed the motor and run it without a load it seems to work fine, it goes through the cycles when I open and close the door. I installed again and ran it with no steps and it runs good on the way OUT but on the way IN it jumps 4/5 times before completing the cycle and stoping, like it wants to keep going IN but it has already reach the gear stopper.

I am beginning to think the the Control Module is sending the wrong massage to the motor.

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

After rereading your post, the limit switch is a very likely suspect, it may have either come loose or has gotten into a position beyond the limits of the step electronics, if this the case, eminent damage of the unit will result.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I believe the limit switch most be in the Control Module because that is the electronics I can see.

If I remember correctly, there isn’t a limit switch, but depends on current load to stop the motor from running. I don’t know if there is any adjustment available. 

3 hours ago, rossboyer said:

If I remember correctly, there isn’t a limit switch, but depends on current load to stop the motor from running. I don’t know if there is any adjustment available. 

If this is true, and probably is, then a careful look at the control module may reveal that a resistor is burned out. If an electronic guy has access to a schematic for that unit it should not be too expensive to repair. Although a new module may not be too bad anyway. I would start with the module before replacing the motor if it were mine. From your OP, I assumed that the bumping started before completing the cycle rather than at the end. Now one last thought, check the motor numbers and see if that is a stepping motor, not a step motor, we know that is what it is being used for, if it is a stepping motor, then make sure that the electricity is turned off, then turn the motor backward a full round, reconnect electricity and try cycling the unit.  Good luck getting it repaired.

Some of the control modules  that sense current (amps) as a limit switch have an adjustable potentiometer on the circuit board that you can adjust to determine the set point that motor tops.  Some potentiometer can be cleaned with electro clean contact cleaner them rotate the potentiometer thru its full range (usually less than 360 degrees. Us caution not to run thru the mechanical stops on the potentiometer.

Jim

4 hours ago, rossboyer said:

That is exactly the way Kiwkee steps operate; https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/kwikee_svc_manual.pdf

This video may help too: https://vimeo.com/45602427

Rod,  The electric set drive circuits have a Current limiting circuit in most cases. This is a safety circuit to protect a person from being hit or trapped under them as they extend or retract. 

So if you step on them as they are moving - they should stop moving quickly. Good test of the current limiting circuit. If they stop, then that circuit is working properly.

If the steps keep moving - then the control module most likely needs to be replaced. A clicking sound is not nominal !

Rich. 

On 1/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, kaypsmith said:

If this is true, and probably is, then a careful look at the control module may reveal that a resistor is burned out. If an electronic guy has access to a schematic for that unit it should not be too expensive to repair. Although a new module may not be too bad anyway. I would start with the module before replacing the motor if it were mine. From your OP, I assumed that the bumping started before completing the cycle rather than at the end. Now one last thought, check the motor numbers and see if that is a stepping motor, not a step motor, we know that is what it is being used for, if it is a stepping motor, then make sure that the electricity is turned off, then turn the motor backward a full round, reconnect electricity and try cycling the unit.  Good luck getting it repaired.

10 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Rod,  The electric set drive circuits have a Current limiting circuit in most cases. This is a safety circuit to protect a person from being hit or trapped under them as they extend or retract. 

So if you step on them as they are moving - they should stop moving quickly. Good test of the current limiting circuit. If they stop, then that circuit is working properly.

If the steps keep moving - then the control module most likely needs to be replaced. A clicking sound is not nominal !

Rich. 

I will try that tomorrow morning. I know it stops on the way out when I block it with my foot I haven't tried stopping it on the way in.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:21 AM, DickandLois said:

Rich. 

Thank you all for all your inputs. **** I did what you recommended I stopped the step during its cycle OUT and than I stopped it manually during its cycle IN. That most reset the module because now is working great, I tried it about 10 times IN and OUT , it works great. Problem Solved.

Thank you all so much for your input. Rod