rfsod48

Surge protector fried

Bay were electric hookup is got rain water on drive to RGV and surge protector worked for 1 day and now shut down and not passing any current thru. Progressive said circuit board probably dead, said to let it dry for a few hours and try again or get a new unit. Tech also said that I could use wirenuts and reconnect direct without protector. Am thinking about doing this and getting new protector which isn’t hardwired, if protector is outside what would keep it from blowing in rain?

Roland, the exterior models are designed to get wet. I have one that is designated to the box at the house. Its been out there in rain and snow for going on 5 years now. Our coach had one hard wired, when it failed of course it ruined a portion of my day and that was when I decided to go portable. I tried to bypass it, wires were too short! Several Home Depot trips and one ugly wiring mess to look at for the remainder of the trip we had power again.

I just had my Progressive portable unit go out this year camping, I called a local RV dealer, bought a replacement, with in 1/2 hour we were back up and headed out for the planned excursion that day, much easier to deal with a failed portable unit than a hard wired unit in my opinion. I carry the one I bought that day and the replacement Progressive unit now as a back up. When you are a part time RV'r every hour counts, before you know it your on your way home mentally preparing yourself for work :(.

Did this get wet from your previous water leak? 

No, got wet in heavy rain downpour. Must not have had door to compartment shut tight. Did you just reconnect the wires with wire nuts and then tape over?

5 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Did you just reconnect the wires with wire nuts and then tape over?

YUP, if you do it you might want to pick up a portable one ASAP, id be worried as to why your failed. Sometimes it just happens but you never know!

Just make sure the coach is unplugged, inverter's are off and if you have auto start on the generator, make sure its disabled. 

AFTER, repeat AFTER verifying park pedestal with a voltmeter, I would have no problem short term plugging into it.

If 50 amp:

Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC

Either outer straight to center round OR center straight= 120 VAC

Center round to center straight= 0 VAC

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

Got it reconnected and works fine, now to purchase a new surge protector.

That's a good thing!