fagnaml

Instant Pot -- Essential Small Appliance for RVs?

To "warm up' thoughts on the Cabin Fever 2019 discussion, I thought I'd start a new "hot foodie" discussion.  This past Christmas all three of my adult children desperately wanted Instant Pots to help simplify their dinner schedules given demanding careers, kids activities, etc.  --> https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ 

My wife and I gave Instant Pots as a Christmas gift for each kid.  Since then they have prepared some fantastic meals using their Instant Pots in half the time it would take for stove top / oven cooking methods.   Their experience has made me ponder if Instant Pots should be a "must have" small appliance for a RV's given their compact size and versatility?

What does the forum think about Instant Pots?   

We have a Cooks Essential oval pressure cooker at home. I have to be honest, I've only used it 3 times in the 4 years I have had it. It would be a good edition to a RV for one of the newer versions which are smaller. Why not, I already carry a smoker and two grills :D

I guess I really need to learn how to cook with it and master that art. A cookbook would probably be a good investment for me. 

99725.png?zoom=1.25&resize=231%2C213&ssl=1

Oh boy! Don't get me started. DW thinks I'm an Instant Pot fanatic.  I started out with a Power Cooker, gave it to my DIL, bought a 6 qt Smart IP and now have both that and the 8 qt Ultra. I like most of the recipes on https://pressureluckcooking.com/ and he does a great job of presenting his material. 

When it comes to models, it is so much easier to find IP recipes that fit all the bells and whistles than to convert to other model pressure cookers.

My favorites so far are Clam Chowder, Chili, Seafood Gumbo, Baby Back Ribs, Pulled Pork, Hard Boiled Eggs....and many others I have forgotten about for the time being.

Yes, I take ours (1 at least) with us when we travel. It doesn't matter if you do 1 pound of something or 3 pounds of something. If the recipe says 30 minutes then that is what it is for any amount.

Try Hard Boiled eggs that are going to be deviled for a party. Through a dozen or more in the pot with a cup or so of water and cook for 5 or 6 minutes (depends on how hard you want them done), release the steam, dip in ice water and peel without pulling any white off.

Yep! Love the IP.

We had one as our primary cooking source and liked it but found ourselves not using very much. So we ditched it and went with an air fryer instead. We eat a lot of veggies and grilled meat and the air fryer is awesome for cooking vegetables. 

We have the IP in the coach, house #1, 2, & 3...used at least once a day!  :wub:

Joe, there is a life beyond wood pellet. :P

1 minute ago, manholt said:

We have the IP in the coach, house #1, 2, & 3...used at least once a day!  :wub:

Joe, there is a life beyond wood pellet. :P

Yeah, I know but I am a creature of habit :ph34r:. I saw a recommendation for recipes above, I’ll have to explore that and see what sounds good and pull ours down from the cabinet.

At many church functions, everyone loves my beef roast cooked in the instant pot, I use red wine mushroom soup and 3 to 4 pounds of beef roast, cook for 45 minutes then let it sit until the lock releases without letting off the steam. Just don't tell them about the wine!:blink: Carl, nothing better than a wood pellet for bbq!

I also have a Traeger. They have a new one out now that weighs 40 pounds and uses 5 pounds of pellets in the hopper. Had I not just bought the Weber 1200Q for the MH I'd go with the pellet.

Oh, DW has the Ninja Slow Cooker. I keep telling her the IP will do the same thing.

My mouth is watering thinking of that beef roast or was it the mention of wine?

Kay, Would you mind sharing a more detailed recipe? Thanks in advance.

Well. it's pretty simple. I usually use 3 to four lbs roast beef, cut into 1X2 inch cubes, salt and pepper lightly, brown the cubes in the IP, then add 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can water,  1 cup red wine, cut up an onion into the pot add some garlic powder, then put the lid on set the cooker for chicken, adjust the time to 45 minutes, start it up. I find the secret to making it tender is to leave the steam in the pot by not letting the steam off, when it cools down, the lid will unlock by itself. Enjoy!:) I forgot to add that I use this same recipe for beef short ribs also.

I think, I would try Madeira or Port and add potatoes/carrots/rutabaga!  Think I just came up with tonight's dinner...thanks Kay! :D 

Ok, I cooked dinner tonight with it. 

4 chicken breasts dusted with parsley, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper (both sides). 2 TBs of Olive, set to brown lightly seared both sides of the chicken, poured 3/4 can chicken broth into the pot and 1 can of Cream of Chicken in. Set to high pressure for 15 minutes, timer went off allowed it to sit for an additional 5 minutes, vented, opened and served over Light and fluffy egg noodles with a side of steamed Broccoli. It was delicious!!

We found that you have to adjust cooking time and moisture with elevation.  Water boils at 212 degrees here, but in Ruidoso, NM, it boils at 199 degrees, so cooking time is longer.  If you go by temp then add 25, 300=325.

Get the Instant Pot Ultra. It has a setting for altitude adjustment and is 8 quart. You'll be happy to have the 8 quart.

I just did 2 dozen eggs in ours for Deviled eggs. They peel without braking white.

We were going to our Son's house for Super Bowl and there were 8 of us. There was about 1/2 dozen halves left over.

Instant pot: Place in trivet. 1 cup water; layer as many eggs as you need. Close lid; set pressure cook for 6 minutes and after 6 minutes let a natural release occur for 6 minutes. Release the rest of pressure and place the eggs in Icee cold water for 5 minutes.  Peel and there should be no whites pulled away when peeling, it's that simple.  Use you own recipe for mixing up the yolk and spices.   We also added some caviar (cheap stuff) to the top of the yolk mix after stuffing the halves, and on some we added capers, and others were just the plain old Deviled eggs.

If you want softer yolks decreas the pressure cooking time.

The nice thing about Electric Pressure Cooking is that you can add as much as the pot will allow and it does not change the cook time.  1 egg, 6 minutes. 2 dozen eggs, 6 minutes.

You need the trivet that comes with the pot. It is the "wire rack" called a trivet, but anything that will elevate the bottom about 1/2 inch or so you can layer the first eggs off the water will work.  They (Amazon) also has an egg rack for around $10 that will hold two layers for a total of 18 eggs.

I have made some wonderful clam chowder, seafood gumbo, chilli, ribs, pulled pork, and maybe a few others I have forgotten about

I like to use the recipes from pressureluckcooking.com. He does a good video of everything he does and has some great recipes. There are many more out there as well.

I was in Target the outher day and they had a end cap and a short aile full of accessories and gadgets for insta pots.

Carl, the insta pot is a preshure cooker and won't be affected by elevation. 

Bill