fagnaml

Instant Pot -- Essential Small Appliance for RVs?

On 2/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, wayne77590 said:

Get the Instant Pot Ultra. It has a setting for altitude adjustment and is 8 quart. You'll be happy to have the 8 quart.

I just did 2 dozen eggs in ours for Deviled eggs. They peel without braking white.

Read first line in quote.

Yes it is affected by elevation. Most likely why IP came out with the Ultra with altitude adjustment.

My suggestion Instant Pot 8 Quart Ultra and check around for pricing.

p.s., Anything that can fit into the IP can be used, any utensil, pie pan, cake pan, etc.  Yes they make specific things but don't leave out off the shelf items. Inside is just water and steam. Don't use anything that will melt easily. Stick with non-plastic items.

Anyone know if they make an Instant Pot type appliance that works directly from 12v?

Would be more efficient for us when we're running extended time on batteries. I know that they used to make similar things for truck drivers, but I've never seen one like the Instant Pot.

Richard, here is some information on that subject:

Instant Pot in an RV

If you watch his video he uses Coke Cola as the liquid in the pot. Personally I think it is to effervescent for that, but there are recipes that use it. I use Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Cider. 

In the release mode (venting) I always put a kitchen towel over the vent, or I'll create a towel with 4 paper towels and just place it over the vent holding down the end and letting it vent out the sides of the paper towel. I only do this to keep our cabinets from receiving the brunt of the steam condensation that is escaping. Turning on a kitchen vent helps also.

I originally purchased a different brand pressure cooker. Trying to find recipes I kept coming up with IP recipes and converting them over to the other brands buttons was problematic - so I gave it to my DIL and bought a 6 quart IP - now I have both a 6 and 8 quart.

Just for information purposes, and not trying to be controversial. Coke or any soda pop for that matter, uses CO2 gas as their effervescence and while raising the temperature causes the gas to leave, leaving only the flavor behind which in turn does make it a good flavoring for some dishes. Wine and or all alcoholic beverages likewise the boiling effect completely destroys the alcohol content and leaves only the flavor behind and will not cause the buzz effect. Apple juice and many other juices do likewise as a flavoring. Just got through cooking my beef roast in the IP and it sure smells good!B)

Richard here is a youtube video of a 12 volt IP.

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Bill a PRSSURE cooker is affected by altitude in the boiling temp of the liquid in the pot.

Herman

Then it isn't a PRESSURE cooker. If it was it would work just like your radiator. You have a 15-25# prssure cap that raises the boiling point of the water inside.  🤩

Bill

My latest is Pasta Bolognese:

Following the recipe off of pressureluckcooking.com (great info on IP) it was good but I made it better the next day by adding some spaghetti sauce when I warmed it up. Turned out delicious.

Keep this thread going with recipes or pictures of things you have done in the IP.

Clam Chowder has been my favorite if anyone is interested.

bolognese.jpg

This is the perfect weather, for soups & stews!  Linda made a Pork, carrots and potato Stew last Wed.  I'm making a Taco Soup, now!  Promised her a Seafood Gumbo for Fat Tuesday! :wub: 

Have not learned how to post a picture, from my Laptop to Forum yet...we are trying! :(

Here is a tip for anyone that makes something that may be "to" spicy (not for me, but DW)

Add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter (creamy) to the pot and blend in by stirring. Give it the taste test and if still spicy do it again.

Trust me, it works.

My pot of gumbo:

IMG_7877.jpg