manholt

Real ID Act of 2005

This will affect every driver in all 50 States!  Effective October 1, 2020!!!  

This is a Federal Law, that sets Federal Standards for State issued drivers licenses and non-driver ID cards!  Mine is due for renewal 2/14/2019...the cost is the same as before!

Already have mine, PA version! When I made a license change on my CDL this year they provided me with the new Real Id license at the DMV. Sad part I don't look like the guy in the photo, they used my last photo from 2016 :ph34r::lol:

A quick search showed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ID_Act#External_links

Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel."[6]

As of December 2018, 40 states and territories have been certified as compliant, and 16 have been granted extensions.[7]

Shouldn't affect driving though. My understanding is that if your license is valid to drive in your home state you're good to go in all states as far as driving. If you live in a state still not issuing Real ID then federal buildings and air travel can be a problem, but a passport is a good work around since a US Passport is a Real ID and still be accepted for both.

Update for Texas. I got my drivers license renewed last week, since the old one did not have a "gold Star of Texas" on it, I had to bring my Passport with me, Linda also!  I don't know if that is the law for every state, but it is for Texas and a new DL will not be issued with out proof of who you are...by Pass Port or Certified Birth Certificate, if your born in USA!

Real ID act; state by state. All states must be compliant by Oct. 1, 2020. If your DL will expire before then take the required documentation with you to obtain  the compliant DL. Border states with Canada began issuing compliant DL right after the Act became law because many worked in one country and worked in the other.

In Wisconsin it's still possible to get either a Read ID or a 'regular' one. Guess some people are leery of having the extra 'data' on their license, but at least around here all it means is that they verified legal residency in the US before issuing the license. I've had one for years.

The data, is not on your DL, just in the data base of the State, DMV.  On the DL is a symbol that verifies that your legal, in TX it's the gold 5 point star, about a 5/16" ! 

Just looked at my license and there was the Star in a gold circle. I guess it was put on when I last renewed. Don't remember having to provide any Birth Certificate. I didn't have a Passport the last time I renewed.

Maybe I'm just special.:wub:

Herman

1 hour ago, manholt said:

The data, is not on your DL, just in the data base of the State, DMV.  On the DL is a symbol that verifies that your legal, in TX it's the gold 5 point star, about a 5/16" ! 

I know that. It's the aluminum foil helmet crowd that pushes out bogus claims and fear of a national ID. The only difference in the license itself is that one also proves legal residency and the other only proves authorization to drive.

41 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

It's the aluminum foil helmet crowd that pushes out bogus claims and fear of a national ID. 

Richard,

I don't have an aluminum foil helmet I have a full fledged Aluminum Hard Hat. I wear it daily and have not had my mind altered by the government yet. my mind altered yet, my mid altered yet.  :lol: 

They were outlawed as a Safety Hat years ago. It was the standard for linemen for year until someone found out, all though not a good one, that Aluminum was a conductor of electricity. Opps! :rolleyes:

Herman

On 1/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, manholt said:

Also entry into any Federal Buildings.

I wonder how the law would be viewed when a person is called for jury duty but doesn't have a new and improved ID. 

They will require an  other form of ID along with your DL...pass port or birth certificate.  But that is only applicable in a Federal Building!  Not city, county or state.

Birth certificates should not be allowed for ID purposes. Now-a-days home computers  can make a copy look like an original.

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Birth certificates should not be allowed for ID purposes. Now-a-days home computers  can make a copy look like an original.

You've haven't tried to get an authenticated birth certificate lately then, especially one with an apostile that is valid for international use. Between the type of paper used, the seals applied, and the paper trail that is created to verify a birth certificate it would be difficult for one to do what you're saying. I'm pretty certain that a birth certificate issued nowadays can easily be verified by the receiving agency if they have reason to question it.

I recently had to get an authenticated birth certificate from NY City, and start to finish the process took a few weeks and required three separate forms with three separate agencies.

If a birth certificate isn't accepted to establish one was born in the USA, then there would be no way to start the process of establishing identity and obtaining other documents like a passport or Real ID driver's license. Babies aren't born with passports or photo IDs.

Wayne, like you, I'm just the messenger! :(

Richard, I don't know how you get one in America.  I got my first passport, the day, I got my Citizenship papers.  I got my SS#, the day after I passed thru Ellis Island & my Green Card a week later!   :)

I'd like to see one of those new fangeled certificates.  Mine, DW's and kids are just pieces of notarized papers.

When I was working I did forensic analysis on computers that were misused. On of such computers had several driver licenses on it, all with different names.  The individual involved was just trying to show they were over 21 so they could get into establishments that sold liquor.  No granted, those types of ID's are basically just scanned by eye and a wave through. However, I can tell you that those DL's would have passed any persons eye.

I'm glad to see that they have made them more difficult to duplicate. However, if one thinks that the technology is so great then the technology for forgeries are just as great.

I was applying for a visa and the issuing country required a copy of my birth certificate with an apostile. The steps required for this were really astounding.

1. First, I had to submit a request to NYC for a certified copy of my birth certificate. It came on special paper w/integrated water marks and other security devices. Even making a photocopy or scan is impossible since some of the security devices don't copy/scan. It would have been difficult/impossible to print one of these on a home computer. The birth certificate contained a unique document number which could be confirmed as real with a single phone call to the proper office in New York.
  2. Since I needed this certificate to eventually have an apostile, it was contained an exemplification. The exemplification is a document signed by an official of the NYC health department attesting to the authenticity of the certificate and permanently attached to the birth certificate.
  3. Then the birth certificate with exemplification was sent to the county health department, where a county official permanently attached yet another certification letter, this time stating that the document's exemplification done by the NYC official was real, and that the whole package passed inspection.
  4. I wasn't done yet. I then submitted the certified copy of my birth certificate, complete with exemplification AND county certification to the State of NY. There, the NY secretary of state's office permanently attached yet another document to the face of all this, the official apostile. The apostile is a document with the official seal which confirms that the certificate and it's accompanying documents are real.

The whole process took about a month, but would have taken much longer had I not paid for expedited service. Every step in this process can easily be confirmed - a single phone call to any of the official's offices involved would be all that's required to have the document verified should any questions arise when I submit the birth certificate.

I realize that most people don't need an apostile on their birth certificate. But, my point is that it's not really that easy to duplicate a birth certificate and evade detection. They contain numerous security devices, and a single phone call to the issuing agency is all that's necessary for any concerned official to confirm that the contents are authentic.

A 'regular' certified birth certificate was all I needed decades ago to obtain my driver's license. Good thing, because I had no other identifying documents. I believe that nowadays it must be accompanied by a social security card (or other documents to prove SSN) and documents to prove current address to obtain a Real ID compliant license.

In the end, the whole system relies on the clerk at the DMV to be the gatekeeper. They are the ones that are responsible for identifying any documents which seem suspect. If the few times I've been at the DMV office near us is any indication, it seems that they take this pretty seriously. I've seen people turned away and told to get additional/better/updated documents. Not a fool-proof system, but it's the one we've got right now.

Your Visa was for what country?  I can guess a dozen small ones...I still carry Russia and China on my current PP, not difficult to get and good for 10 years!  I just needed one for 3 days and China for a month!  Oh, they both keep your PP when you enter...don't loos the paper receipt.

Richard, I would be extremely happy if all States performed in that manner. I am not against that technology but there are other states than NY that do not follow that regimen. It is also good that the DMV is so vigilant but again not all states follow that example. Until that process is followed, and more, then the potential to fake an ID is still there.

My wife had to renew her license this January and she couldn't get one, she was born in the Marshall islands on a navy base to a career man, she took her birth certificate and  was denied, even though it was a US trust territory, all because the people who work there are total idiots, even Sacramento idiots couldn't figure out that the Marshall islands are part of the Mariana Islands, and was a trust territory for four decades until they achieved independence in 1986 

wonder how it will work with the states the are giving out licenses to anyone and everyone when 2020 rolls around and everyone is suppose to have one, 

I do not have the star on my license, I will have to go to DMV office with current license with a birth certificate and 2 current utility bills to be verified, only posting this to verify what Wayne said about different states.