roblaura

Right stabilizer and tire pressure for 2010 Georgetown

I have a 35' 2010 Georgetown on a 2009 Ford f53 chassis with a V10 gas engine. I would like to decrease "road wander" and "wind drift" from passing trucks and cross winds. It is not "white knuckle" level, but it could be more stable and less tiring.

During my research, several persons have pointed out the importance of proper tire pressure based on vehicle weight and tire manufacturer (Goodyear) pressure tables. Where can I find these tables? The coach came with 80 lbs pressure. I increased it to 90 lbs, which helped, but I do not want to overdo it.

Everyone seems to recommend a steering stabilizer for reduce road wander and wind drift. Three have been recommended: SteerSafe, Safe T Plus, and Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. Which one(s) has/have proved most effective for a recent model f53 chassis?

Some have also recommended a larger rear stabilizer bar to reduce sway and improve overall stability in cross winds and on crown roads. What say ye?

Rob More

Tampa, FL

Rob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Indeed, start by weighing and using the correct tire pressure. If that does not achieve all your goals, THEN start looking at aftermarket devices.

Both Michelin and Goodyear have RV tire PSI/load charts on their websites.

Obviously, the first step is to have 4 wheel position weighting (BEST) or at least axle weights (ASSUMES perfect left/right weight distribution-- unlikely) with the coach loaded as you normally travel (with people in their seats, etc).

If 4 wheel position weights, use heavier wheel position on each axle to go to the chart. Add 5 PSI safety reserve to the chart number (which is the MINIMUM PSI for that given weight). If you only have axle weights, add 10 PSI (assuming it does not exceed tire or wheel recommendations to account for left/right imbalance and safety reserve.

Brett

Rob,

We have an '09 GT 378TS and I had noticed that it was listing a bit to the passenger side for some reason. Several other GT owners on the Forest River owners forum were seeing the same thing with their rigs, all different floorplans. What I found and so did the others is that FR had installed spacer pucks under the spring packs on the driver side. Upon sending a letter to FR about this they told me that the spacers were installed at time when "it was customary to do so" and they were no longer needed. FR paid to have ours and the others spacers removed. They can have a profound effect on handling. You can read the entire thread on the subject here