Question

So, we just read the content previously posted on the question of caravan or not. Alaska is on my wife's bucket list, so we are going. We called fantasy tours yesterday, and was surprised by the $9800 00 price tag .Just this past March at the Perry convention it was offered for $6000.00. We are full timing, but only since this past October. We have heard of the challenges the terrain can put on your coach. So we thought the caravan would be best. We cannot discern a clear answer from the previous post. At $9800.00 do those who have made the trip, caravan or not ,believe it s worth the cost, or at that price , better to take the risk of going on your own?

3 answers to this question

I went on my own with a friend following me.  Watch your speed and when a truck is coming the other way angle towards the shoulder and stop because they throw gravel, that was on the Alcan highway.  Other roads were not too bad, generally traveled at between 35-50 mph.  I always carry at least one spare tire however the only people that had tire problems were trailers.  I like to come and go as I like so being in a rigid schedule with a caravan just wouldn't work for me even if it was free.

We leave for the Maritime Provinces in June, 61 days with Fantasy Tours, $12,000.  Expensive ?  Yes, but at 76 and 70,, we feel it's worth it.  As for Alaska, I have been there 2 times and so has my fiance...much younger and "Bullet Proof"!   Fantasy Tours, Alaska.  Start Dawson Creek, end Tok, AK.=$6,300 for 36 days, Dawson Creek to Prince George=$ 9,400 for 48 days, Coeur D' Alene to Anacortes=$ 11,300 for 60 days, Coeur D' Alene to Prince George=$ 11,700 for 61 days, Anacortes to Stewart=$ 8,000 for 62 days!  I personally, would do the Dawson Creek to Tok...All the rest your paying to see Canada mostly, by finishing in  Tok, you can stay in Alaska as long as  you desire!

As DD69 said, carry a spare, along with serpentine.  I also carry a extra sensor for coolant, oil, transmission oil and turbo speed...I have Silver Leaf, those sensors go out about every 2 years, their avg cost is $35...Remember, most everything comes from lower 48!

Good Luck!    

If you want a structured trip where they make all the places to stay and what to see then the caravans are for you.  You will also have to pick up and move on the day and time they say.  No staying an extra day or two, even if the weather is not what you want to drive in. 

Lots of people, including us, have made the trip w/o problems.  The roads through Canada and inside AK are generally in good shape. Many times better than 2 lane roads in the lower 48.   Yes there is some construction with gravel and splashing dirt/mud, but just slow down and take your time.  It is best if you plan on no more than 200 miles in a day.  Slow down and enjoy the trip.  Most of the roads are 2 lane and 50-55mph speed limit. 

We spent 4 1/2 months on our trip from the Washington/BC border to AK and back to the US border.  Really enjoyed the trip.  If you are interested here is a link to our blog of our trip: http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html