rintreglia

Safe-T-Plus

New member and new RV owner. We bought a 2017 Thor Four Winds 28Z with 8800 miles. 

We took it out for a short weekend trip and I was very disappointed with the “loose” steering. I felt like I was constantly correcting my steering. Steering felt very loose and sloppy. White knuckle drive!

I’ve been asking around for suggestions and a few owners have suggested this Safe-T-Plus device. 

Would appreciate any and all advise; suggestions and comments. 

Thank you!

rintreglia,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Have you weighed the wheel positions/axles and set tire pressure for your actual weight?  Over/under inflation can cause real handling issues.

And, assuming this is the Ford class C chassis, many have found that setting caster to high end of spec or even a little more helps with tracking.

Not suggesting that a Safe-T-Plus is not a good addition, but start with the basics.

Welcome.

As Brett wrote and you need to do the basic in any event, before the installation of the Safe-T-Plus...have used that system many times on gas rigs, it works.   

Ditto on Brett & Carl, alignment is recommended when installing Safe-T-Plus. 

Toe in is a big issue in alignment. If it is in too much or out too much you will have constant wandering as each wheel is trying hard to go straight and neither can get there. Once you have the alignment correct then you may install the Safe-T-Plus to help with sudden movement.

Good luck and let us know how you worked out your issue.

Herman

My 40 footer had a little play and I had Freightliner go over it. The tech said he tightened all the bolts on the front and and it did make a little difference.

However, I did buy the Safe-T-Plus and put it on the 40 footer. I can say unequivocally that it helped. Potholes, drafts from 18 wheelers were all reduced. 

My personal experience says it was worth it. But the best saving grace is how it acts if you have a front tire blow out. With the Safe-T-Plus you are supposed to be able to bring it to a controlled stop.  Fortunately I never tested that theory. I have seen their videos.

I'm on the waiting list for an IFS system from them.

Well, I got the new to us MH in October '17 and they were working on a solution for IFS then. Hmmm! Maybe I should give them a call. (Or email)

Carl, I just talked with Kathy at Safe-T-Plus and they have made a lot of headway. She expects sometime this spring they will announce it.

Before a long trip from Buffalo NY to Alaska in a Winnebago Class C we had a Safe-T-Plus installed.  The difference was immediate.  Tracking was straight and handling in wind and with 18 wheelers passing was much improved.  I would recommend it.

44 minutes ago, pkuritzky said:

Before a long trip from Buffalo NY to Alaska in a Winnebago Class C we had a Safe-T-Plus installed.  The difference was immediate.  Tracking was straight and handling in wind and with 18 wheelers passing was much improved.  I would recommend it.

Welcome to the forum. 

Bill

1 hour ago, pkuritzky said:

Welcome to the forum.

I had it installed on my 2008 WB Destination and I also noted an immediate improvement.

I would recommend Safe-T-Plus.